Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Converting Rampy to dual exhaust
Posted by: Eido ()
Date: March 07, 2021 06:42AM

My 1964 Rampside came with an enormous, non-stock muffler. It looks like a black pumpkin. I’d like to convert to a nice dual exhaust system. I see Clark’s has a kit - C11586 - for my 1966 140hp engine (and I’d probably add the chrome tailpipe upgrade). Aside from the kit, any recommendations on parts or supplies I’ll need? Tales from the trenches are appreciated!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Converting Rampy to dual exhaust
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: March 07, 2021 10:41AM

If you just like the look or sound that's fine but it will run better with a properly sized single exhaust. FCs also have very little room on the left.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 116 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: March 07, 2021 10:49AM

Under the Left side there is no accommodation for the muffler on FC's.
Some have gone with two Harley Davidson mufflers as they are thinner. The esthetic issue is the body cutout for the tailpipe on the right side only.
I have seen radical duel exhausts on a couple FC's. They ran the exhaust pipes forward and mounted side pipe cutout's like other vans!!! eye rolling smiley

Corventure Dave

Date: March 07, 2021 04:41PM

Ok, so only do the passenger side. Any other tips?

Posted by: 63ConDan ()
Date: March 07, 2021 05:55PM

this might a help.

[corvaircenter.com]

Dan Central MN
1968 Convert

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: March 07, 2021 07:05PM

Eido Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ok, so only do the passenger side. Any other tips?

Stock single exhaust system is fine. If you really want dual exhaust, you will need to bake a clearance tunnel in the FC body under the battery to clear the L side muffler.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: ihscomputers ()
Date: March 07, 2021 07:29PM

If you are looking for something different that sounds great and is relatively inexpensive then installing Harley exhausts on a Rampside is very easy:

Installation of Harley exhausts on my 62 Rampside

Here's a side view:

IHMO, they sound great too:
Video of the Harley exhaust

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia
Heart of Georgia Corvair Club Webmaster
Springfest Webmaster

1963 Rampside w/305 V8 - Built by Ken Arnold in 1998

Date: March 08, 2021 04:49AM

Living in Milwaukee, the idea of adding HD exhausts is pretty appealing....

Date: March 28, 2021 11:18AM

Ok, I’m going to try to install Dean Gemberling’s Harley-Davidson dual exhaust system on my Rampy. I’ve got 2 HD mufflers, 2 hangers, 4 clamps, 4’ of 2” pipe, two 8” braided flexible joints, sealer (all from Amazon) plus from Clark’s: a full set of packing gaskets, and 2 U-pipes.

Am I missing anything I might need? Should I get spare studs? Any other advice?

Thank you!

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: March 28, 2021 11:42AM

Eido Wrote:
> Should I get spare studs?
>

That depends on the condition of your existing studs (and nuts)? And, if you just want to replace them no matter what the condition is.

Date: March 28, 2021 11:59AM

Thx Bob.

Am I overlooking any other critical components?

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: March 28, 2021 08:56PM

Eido
My 1964 Rampside came with an enormous, non-stock muffler. It looks like a black pumpkin.

Do you know if this is the special "Big Single" sold years ago by Daniel M. (of Mexico) and Matt Nall? Post a picture with it removed in good shape.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: March 29, 2021 01:34AM

Guess I should elaborate:

You need to get on the ground and look at the current condition of the exhaust manifold studs before you start.

You live in the "rust belt".

The original exhaust manifold studs were cast iron steel.

The studs would (will) erode / corrode - threads get "thin" - even studs get "thin".

One would assume that the studs (or complete exhaust manifold) have been replaced by now on your vehicle. Clark's has been selling stainless steel studs for decades.

Studs have been broken / "ears" of exhaust manifolds have been broken off - trying to remove the studs.

Should use Liquid Wrench (or similar product) on the nuts.

My understanding (never done it) is that HEAT is necessary to safely remove old studs from the exhaust manifold.

Good luck.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: March 29, 2021 05:07AM

I'm hardly ever successful at removing old studs although I've never tried Dave Motohead's wax method.
I usually end up drilling them out with the drill press table way down and the manifold standing up in a vise.
Sometimes getting them out with the 3/8-16 threads intact doesn't work out. I have 110 and 140 collars on the bench to make sure the studs are in the proper position and I MIG weld in filler to hold the studs and fashion a head on the back side to keep them from turning. Sometimes I join the front side and the back side with a weld around the outside of the manifold ear. None of this welding actually permeates the cast iron.
It's great joy to go to my manifold pile and find one with intact studs. I'm not usually too fussy about rusty threads if they're sound. A washer or two under the nuts will help with a little erosion.
I just use Dorman galvanized studs. I imagine the stainless ones mentioned being a little pricey.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: March 29, 2021 11:03AM

I was kind of anticipating that as an issue. I’ve already got the studs in my check-out cart. Perhaps I should also be looking to replace the exhaust
manifolds, as well. Ah - you be more thing....but there’s always one more thing, right??!!

Date: March 29, 2021 11:29AM

Eido Wrote:
> I was kind of anticipating that as an issue. I’ve already got the studs in my check-out cart. Perhaps I should also be looking to replace the exhaust
> manifolds, as well. Ah - you be more thing....but there’s always one more thing, right??!!

It would be a lot easier if you actually LOOKED at your exhaust manifolds???

Being in the "rust belt", the studs and / or manifolds probably have been replaced at least once - unless your vehicle has been excessively pampered (and really low miles).

Posted by: Marco_a_p ()
Date: March 31, 2021 12:33PM

Had a muffler shop install duals a customers R/S. We supplied the 140hp Upipes and left it up to him to complete the install. Only stipulation the owner had was "I dont want it to sound like a corvair!" eye popping smiley

Muffler shop came though with flying colors! Use a flatish "turbo" muffler.
When the 140hp motor with the 270 isky cam fired up, it sounded like a V8 at idle.
Not offensively loud or droney, (is that a word?) but a smooth low tone. Of course once you reved it good and hard, you could tell it wasn't a V8, but is still sounded like hot rod!

Marco
A 2nd Gen Monza Wagon, a 2nd Gen GB 8door, a 2nd Gen (61's were 1st Gen) R/s and a 62nd Gen Turbo coupe..

Hanging out with the scorpions, king snakes, road runners, coyotes and quails In the southern desert of the silver state
Mesquite NV 89024

Posted by: thumper477 ()
Date: April 01, 2021 04:54AM

Thumbs up on the harley mufflers.Brand new take offs are usually cheap as they are too quiet for the harley "posers".The only thing you can hear when my gold wing goes by at full throttle is my radio.

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: April 01, 2021 11:30AM

Marco_a_p Wrote:
> Had a muffler shop install duals a customers R/S. We supplied the 140hp Upipes and left it up to him to complete the install. Only stipulation the owner had was "I dont want it to sound like a corvair!" eye popping smiley

Any chance you could see a stamped number on them. Or maybe they were their house brand.

'29 Ford Model A Tudor (Great Grandfather bought new)
'61 700 Lakewood 110 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.
'70 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4 speed

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio 45840

Date: April 03, 2021 03:26PM

If my truck was driveable, I’d take it to a muffler shop. But it’s not - at least not yet.

I’ve got almost all the parts for the conversion. Just waiting on a few things from Clark’s now.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.