Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
What's wrong with this picture? (AKA why did I suddenly puke gas on my driveway)
Posted by: Big Dave ()
Date: February 22, 2021 04:42PM

So just getting home from work an I noticed the shagmobile hesitated a moment and then a big whif of gas! Thankfully I was only a turn from home when it happened and I only live 3 min from work. If it had been on a long drive she probably would have gone up in flames.....

Dave A.

62 Greenbrier "Shaggy" Daily Driver
63 Greenbrier "Velma" (SOLD!)
63 Rampside Future Project
63 Monza Vert
64 Monza Vert, Son's Project / Daily Driver

Puyallup, WA

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What's wrong with this picture? (AKA why did I suddenly puke gas on my driveway)
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 22, 2021 04:45PM

When your're lucky...you're lucky!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Re: What's wrong with this picture? (AKA why did I suddenly puke gas on my driveway)
Date: February 22, 2021 04:46PM

At first I thought it was the line between the engine and body but that was fine. The gas had evaporated so there was no sign of it in the engine bay until I fired it up again and then we had a gushhereye popping smiley

Attachments:
Date: February 22, 2021 04:56PM

Hmmm... Where is that post on welsh plugs.... I may be replacing them soonwinking smiley

Dave A.

63 Monza Vert

Puyallup, WA

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: February 22, 2021 05:47PM

Your choke rod is not hooked up either.

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: February 22, 2021 08:39PM

Yes, it is a plug, but not a welsh plug. winking smiley

How long has that carburetor been running on the engine? Did you ever remove that plug during a rebuild?

Really lucky it did not fall out at a bad time!eye popping smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: February 22, 2021 09:15PM

Right next to all those wires... yes that could have been really bad. fortunately, gas isnt very conductive.

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Date: February 23, 2021 05:29AM

[corvaircenter.com]

Here is the post I was refering to when they were discussing "welch" plugs. Not the correct term but that's how I remembered the discussion.

Dave A.

63 Monza Vert

Puyallup, WA

Date: February 23, 2021 09:56AM

Yes, there are Welsh plugs in some carburetors, to fill larger holes. Welsh is a particular type that looks like a bent nickel. Also called an expansion plug, as the diameter increases when the convex surface is hammered flat. Commonly found as core plugs (aka freeze plugs) on cast engines. I've seen carburetor Welsh plugs as small as 5/16" in diameter. The other very common core plug is the cup plug, which has sides, I've seen these as small as 1/4" in carburetors.

Here are some examples:

[www.carburetion.com]

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: February 23, 2021 12:38PM

As a partly "Welsh" guy - (family heritage includes ancestors from Wales)

It's notta Welsh plug!!! tongue sticking out smiley

Welch is the proper first name for the compressable metal "expansion plug" that has many uses.

Probably some guy that made some grape jelly had to plug a hole in his pot!! smoking smiley

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 Corsa 140 Coupe ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Convertible Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza Spyder Convertible ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 CoupeEvening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: February 23, 2021 02:08PM

Oops,

Well, I speeled it wright in the first discussion, link in post of Dave above.grinning smiley

My memory can NOT be trusted anymore.winking smiley

BTW, Welch is probably derived from Welsh. Be proud of your ancestor's plugs. thumbs up They are a handy invention.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: February 23, 2021 04:24PM

Probably using Seth's wires. No arcing from them wires. Ask me how I know that.
Except mine was a split fuel line.

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: February 25, 2021 12:34PM

Actually not my wires.<grin>

But, Anyway, I have removed several of those plugs, if it is the one on the side of the float bowl. It is used during manufacturing to plug the access hole used to drill and insert the restriction for the high-speed enrichment circuit. When we relocate the jets for racing, this plug is removed, followed by the restrictor, then the feed hole is continued all the way to the main feed. In order to drill and tap the inner wall of the float chamber for the relocated jet, we have to drill out the outer wall. When we are done we usually tap the outer wall for a 1/8 NPT plug. Since the wall is so thin, you have to be very careful. In this case, clean it up, dry out the carb and a little Permatex #3 around the plug and re-insert it. Let it set up for a day, and you are good to go.

Date: February 25, 2021 08:25PM

Did my own wires last summer. Added wires for trailer plug as well as tach and oil pressure. Re used housings with new terminals and wires.

Dave A.

63 Monza Vert

Puyallup, WA

Attachments:

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: February 26, 2021 08:03AM

Looks good B.Dave but not the wires I was referring to.

Date: February 26, 2021 06:25PM

He meant these wires:

[www.perfvair.com]

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.