Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Oil pan gaskets
Posted by: Wurth1 ()
Date: February 22, 2021 08:49AM

So, Clark's silicone gasket vs premium cork gasket with reinforcing plate....stock oil pan....any thoughts? Getting ready for the nice weather ( a little eager maybe?)

Wade Whitney
N.E. Pennsylvania
64 Monza vert 110/4spd

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Oil pan gaskets
Posted by: idiyaught ()
Date: February 22, 2021 09:10AM

I like the ones from John Sweet

John Oostdyk
Thornhill, Ont
63 Rampy
65 Greenbrier
64 Convertible

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: February 22, 2021 09:19AM

2X on the John Sweet line of "The Best" gaskets. For
Engine oil pan
Trans. oil pan
Valve cover.
Top blower cover
Rear housing assy.
Delcotron adapter

These are the go to gaskets for a leak free Corvair!

Date: February 22, 2021 09:24AM

They're that good with a stock pan?

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: February 22, 2021 09:32AM

Yes
Try it.
You'll like it.

Posted by: Brucem ()
Date: February 22, 2021 09:37AM

I added the Otto Pan AND the Finned PG pan to my 65 Monza 140 and they are both leaking. Any thoughts on rubber vs cork vs paper? I used paper per Clarks recommendation. Not working. Thank god I have a pan on the floor.
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: alphasud ()
Date: February 22, 2021 12:02PM

Could we get a company name or a link for John Sweet for those not in the know?

David North Idaho
1965 Corsa Turbo converted to 140
1971 Super Beetle with 2.5L Subaru engine
1965 Corsa mid engine project
1973 Mercedes 280 project

Posted by: 63vert ()
Date: February 22, 2021 12:09PM

[ebay.com]

Rockingham, NC

1962 Greenbrier
65 110 4speed

Posted by: doug6423 ()
Date: February 22, 2021 02:24PM

I bought Clark's rubber/cork and had problems with leaks. Switched to John's and it solved the problem.

Doug
65 Monza
Cincy, OH

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: February 22, 2021 02:53PM

I have always used the cork or rubberized cork style gaskets on my oil pans and have been happy with the results.

Some may agree with the following while others will disagree but this is the procedure I have used and works for me....

While the oil pan is off the engine I make sure to give it a good cleaning then straighten out any areas that are not flat around the bolt holes.

I make sure the block surface is clean as needed.

When installing the gasket, I have used Permatex Form A Gasket in the small 4oz. container with the brush built into the lid.

I also try to keep in mind that the gasket is what is supposed to do the sealing and if I can get away with it, I won't use any adhesive at all.
The oil pan gasket however, often needs some assistance staying in place and apply just enough on the oil pan only to keep the gasket in place.

My preference is to use none on the block surface for two reasons.
First, as mentioned above is because the gasket should be doing the sealing.
Second, is because when the oil pan gets removed at some later date, it will be easier to clean the aluminum block surface while reducing the chance of damaging it.
I can concentrate on cleaning the gasket off the oil pan once it is off the engine and on a work bench where it is easier.

When actually tightening the oil pan bolts, I don't use a torque wrench.
I place the pan with the gasket up against the block and loosely install all the bolts.
Once all the bolts are started by hand and threaded as far as I can get them by hand, I use a six point socket with an extension to thread them in further.
Once that is done I will attach my ratchet to the extension and socket and tighten the bolts slowly and evenly while looking closely at the gasket.
As soon as I see the gasket begin to move (Squeeze out), I stop tightening the bolt as I don't want to bend the oil pan which could result in a leak.

Once all the bolts are snugged equally, I will let it sit for a while before adding any oil to the crankcase giving what little Form A Gasket I did apply, a chance to cure.

Any time I apply a gasket, I try to apply only enough Form A Gasket to hold the gasket in place and always try to apply it on the part that can be removed from the engine, differential, or any larger component.

I have found it is more often than not, easier to remove a gasket from an item where I can do the job on a work bench rather than on my back, above my head, or some other awkward position.

Here is a related thread from 2018 [corvaircenter.com]

One final comment:
Anytime I have pulled the powerpack and the oil pan has a need to be removed, I always wait until the powerpack has been reinstalled to apply a new oil pan gasket.
I have a tendency to believe that installing the new gasket first could potentially result in it getting compressed before or during the re-installation process if the weight of the engine is placed on the pan. Installing the new gasket after the powerpack is safely reinstalled in the vehicle would probably increase the chances of a successful seal.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Attachments:
Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: February 22, 2021 03:01PM

John Sweet is jasvair here on forum, gaskets are the best!

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block (Sold)
86' BMW 325es
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo
67' UltraVan 211 "Violet"
NFCC, UMCC
Grand Island, NY

Date: February 22, 2021 03:30PM

What are John's gaskets made of?

Posted by: 63vert ()
Date: February 22, 2021 04:46PM

Wurth1,

I forgot to mention in my eBay link above....
That link is for John Sweets EBay store/auction site.

Rockingham, NC

1962 Greenbrier
65 110 4speed

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: February 22, 2021 04:52PM

John's E-Bay information [ebay.com] (compliments of 63vert)

His current Oil Pan Gasket listing. [www.ebay.com]

60-9 Corvair Oil Pan Gasket The Best
$15.00 + $8.10 Expedited Shipping

Description from John's ad: (The attached photo was taken from John's ad)

"This is a 60-9 Corvair Oil Pan Gasket. This is a better material and is thicker than the original GM gaskets. This is good for regular and aluminum pans."

Note:
IF you are looking to purchase a gasket from John, consider buying more than one and look at his other items before completing your order. He may have other items you can use, prices items reasonably, and will combine shipping costs but you need to follow the instructions to get the reduced/combined shipping amounts.
I have bought from John through E-Bay and at events and have always been happy with his parts, prices, and service.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2021 04:55PM by Caraholic4life.

Attachments:
Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: February 22, 2021 07:01PM

I also have used John's engine, transmission, and differential gaskets and seals and have been very happy with them.
John is a long time Corvair parts vendor. I have bought from him in Palm Springs (15-20 years ago when he was living
in So Cal), at east and west coast conventions, at the Homecoming, etc. I see he will be in NJ in May. I know JS is busy
and is not looking for much service work but he is also a long time top notch Corvair mechanic.

Date: February 22, 2021 08:32PM

I ordered one from him on fleabay,thanks for everyone's input thumbs up

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: February 23, 2021 03:52AM

With a rubber or cork/rubber gasket I could only tighten the bolts until the gasket started to squeeze out. Even with blue Loctite I wasn't happy with that situation.
With the Sweet gasket I can actually tighten the bolts as much as I like since the gasket doesn't squeeze out. I've been installing them with Syl-Glyde grease and used one more than once when testing old engines.
I've got some PG pan gaskets I'm anxious to try since they suffer from the same squeeze out problem.
I like to buy several at a time to spread out the shipping cost.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: jasvair ()
Date: February 23, 2021 04:15AM

I have all my gaskets listed on Ebay. My Ebay id is jscorvairparts.
You can also email me at js189@zoominternet.net

John Sweet
John's Corvair Parts

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: February 23, 2021 09:00AM

Brucem Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I added the Otto Pan AND the Finned PG pan to my 65 Monza 140 and they are both leaking. Any thoughts on rubber vs cork vs paper? I used paper per Clarks recommendation. Not working. Thank god I have a pan on the floor.
> spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Brucem --- About a year ago I ran into issues with the Clark's OTTO oil pan. I have a spare block to check oil pans. The block is level!! I've checked a few aluminum oil pans and never had an issue - UNTIL I checked a new Clark's OTTO oil pan. It's a nice lower profile oil pan, BUT it was off with gaps up to 0.040"!!!

I called Clark's and as usual they were great. Asked me to return the oil pan and said they would send out a replacement that day. I explained the issue and asked them to make sure the replacement pan was O.K.

When the replacement OTTO pan arrived it had the SAME problem in the same locations!!! I told Clark's about this. They offered a refund, but I decided to keep it and machine the perimeter level since all the other aluminum oil pans they sell hang down too far to my driveway ramp.

This problem was discussed here and a one other person noted the same issue, while others did not have a problem with the "older" OTTO oil pans.

I noticed the pan perimeter had been machined BEFORE the pan had a finish applied. Just guessing, but I bet the oven used to set the finish is causing the oil pans to warp after machining.

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: February 23, 2021 09:17AM

Caroholic4life wrote:

"... One final comment:
Anytime I have pulled the powerpack and the oil pan has a need to be removed, I always wait until the powerpack has been reinstalled to apply a new oil pan gasket. ..."

While I haven't done this yet..., I was planning on the same. Notch a piece of 3/4" plywood for the cam gear and install the pick up and pan after installation.

Some have those nice cradles and if you can maximize the use, great. But for me this will (hopefully) be a one time out/in with the engine.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.