Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
WTB : Powerglide Low Servo Piston Cushion Spring - Source?
Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: February 21, 2021 09:26AM

I have dealt with enough of these over the years I am out of spares.
Does anyone have a source?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2021 02:56PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WTB tongue sticking out smileyowerglide Low Servo Piston Cushion Spring - Source?
Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: February 21, 2021 02:04PM

Will used do? I probably have one. Will check tomorrow.

Re: WTB tongue sticking out smileyowerglide Low Servo Piston Cushion Spring - Source?
Date: February 21, 2021 07:47PM

Thanks wagon master. I did find one today.

My thought was this is not a part I have seen available. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. I have replaced a half dozen at least in my own and friends cars. I took a quick look at McMaster-Carr and didn’t see something close. Once again I’d happily be proved wrong. While in this case I found one it does seem to be harder to find out each time. I’m sure there are a number of vairs out there running and the owners don’t realize it’s broken. If you shift into drive and the transmission bangs something is wrong, most likely this.

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: February 21, 2021 08:22PM

I opened two Powerglides I have and one of the springs was broken. I'd think that any spring "close enough" is better than nothing as long as it doesn't coil bind. That said it is a rather short, stiff spring and it may be difficult to find something "close enough."

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: February 22, 2021 07:32AM

One benefit is it is not that difficult to remove for the young and ambitious. Just oily. (I am referring to removing this item while in the car).

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: February 22, 2021 08:05AM

New PG parts are getting hard to find, the one company that had a stockpile that were supplying the vendors is running out of stock and not planning on making any more.

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Date: February 22, 2021 08:12AM

That is true. As well as having a good power bolt driver. I can tear one down in a few minutes. No matter what you do though its a messy job! My wife made fun of me for the old windbreaker and elbow length kitchen gloves I donned to do the job yesterday.

I did the one yesterday with an original part I found.

After that I went digging in the parts bin from another hobby, scuba.
I found a scuba regulator first stage main spring that is very close. I assembled it to the piston and it fits well enough. Next time I have one of these go I will give it a try.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.