Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Whats the one part that you can never find?
Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: February 21, 2021 07:19AM

Posted by: Mike Stillwell ()
Date: February 20, 2021 05:31AM

The 1/4” “top hat” sheet metal bolts that are used on the mid ‘66-9 perimeter seal retainers and in the heater ducts of all LM’s. I can never seen to find one when I need one! I used to always hunt for 5/16 18 thread nuts, then we had a surplus auction at work and I bought 71 lbs. for $10. Anyone need some?! LOL!

Mike
YS-117

Mike, Clark's now carries them, item # C3400L (single) or C3400R for 28 of them. I use them in place of the screws for the rear air exhaust grill. They don't fall off your socket wrench while you hunt for the hole.

-Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: February 21, 2021 08:12AM

The hardest parts to find for a Corvair are some of the 4 door-specific (especially LM) parts, especially soft trim parts. For example, the rear door's upper front corner seal that goes around the front corner of the window opening and helps seal the doors at the top of the "B" pillar.

Then there's the molded-in-color parts like the inside pinch weld windlass strips for the LM's. It's used across the top of the roof rail of hardtop cars, and down the front edge of the quarter panels on 2 door cars. Seems like nobody saves it when scrapping out cars. They almost never show up at the swap meets.

-Mark

Posted by: MidEngineMongrel ()
Date: February 21, 2021 01:51PM

This seems pretty good. Sounds like all the mechanical parts are easily obtainable just cosmetics and comforts seem to be a bit of a pian. Im cool with that. Now just have to hope theyre cheap.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 21, 2021 02:08PM

This is the reason to join your local Chapter of CORSA!!

What is too expensive for you?

$50 / $100 /$200?

Most parts can be repaired most times..

Starter but not the starter ratchet

Fuelpump but not the diaphragm

Carbs and distributors can be repaired

Flywheels can be "bolted" at home when rivets loosen

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: February 21, 2021 07:02PM

Whichever one I need currently.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: February 22, 2021 08:30AM

From a current thread here, the Powerglide Low Servo Cushion Spring.winking smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: flat_six ()
Date: February 22, 2021 11:08AM

A 418 passenger side quick steering arm! :-D

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: February 24, 2021 05:56AM

So much Corvair stuff but it seems like I can't ever find anything.

I've made large organizational strides in the last year but need another year.

I've made friends with the local scrapper guy. My garbage cart makes a lot of noise when they dump it compared to my neighbors.

It's the plastic tubs full of miscellaneous small parts haphazardly unscrewed from Corvairs heading to the scrapyard that are my current bane. Who would have thought that the hoohaws and doodads would be worth more than the powertrain and suspension assemblies. They might be worth more because no one else can find their's either.

Last week I looked high and low for a LM left rear cove casting. Of course I found a right one right away. Never did find one, my buddy figured out a way to replace broken studs with screws.

My long term plan is to get it all sorted out in time for my ancestors to throw it all away.

I'm a junk collector with a perfectionist streak and a rescue mentality. Lots of inner conflict while trying to keep up the "what me worry?" personna. If I could just quit yelling in my sleep...

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: February 24, 2021 06:41AM

Here's one I have unsuccessfully sought: NOS crankcase vent baffle.

In the 70s and 80s I never reused one during an engine rebuild because I never knew what evils lurked inside and didn't want to risk my rebuild. It didn't hurt because new baffles were really inexpensive; under $10. I haven't seen one for sale in decades.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: February 24, 2021 07:02PM

Well.... Never, then did... then never again, then found 2... now back to never.... once again!

NOS Chevrolet emblem on the back door or tailgate of an FC! eye popping smiley

Corventure Dave

Date: February 25, 2021 06:48AM

I'm a junk collector with a perfectionist streak and a rescue mentality. Lots of inner conflict while trying to keep up the "what me worry?" personna. If I could just quit yelling in my sleep...

Jim Brandberg

Welcome to the club, Jim! (pun intended)

-Mark

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: February 25, 2021 07:04AM

I agree with some others. The hardest part for me to find is the part I know I have 10 of, and was in my hand 15 minutes ago.

Posted by: guthrie1068 ()
Date: February 25, 2021 10:29AM

Blinker fluid for an Early, I've been looking everywhere and everybody is out. cool smiley

Chad Guthrie
Onondaga, MI
'63 convertible

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: February 25, 2021 11:39AM

guthrie1068 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Blinker fluid for an Early, I've been looking everywhere and everybody is out. cool smiley

How much do you need or want? I have probably 15 gallons of NOS blinker fluid by General Motors. It was originally manufactured by General Mill, under license from General Grant, research paid for by a grant from General Lee.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2021 11:40AM by junkman.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: February 25, 2021 12:43PM

Junkman is right, Blinker Fluid is out there, you just have to ask the right people, in order to get it.
Chrome Reverse Muffler Bearings, on the other hand, are becoming quite RARE!
And I haven't been able to find quality source for, Cans of Compression lately either. sad smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: February 25, 2021 01:09PM

American Mel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Junkman is right, Blinker Fluid is out there, you just have to ask the right people, in order to get it.
> Chrome Reverse Muffler Bearings, on the other hand, are becoming quite RARE!
> And I haven't been able to find quality source for, Cans of Compression lately either. sad smiley

I have all that stuff in my back yard but my Sky Hook is out of order so I have no access to them.eye rolling smiley

I can't wait until spring arrives and I can put the Summer Air back in my tires.confused smiley

1962 95 F.C. Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2021 01:10PM by Caraholic4life.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: February 26, 2021 06:51PM

There are NO new 1L choke rod clips. Clark's supplies 2L, which fit sloppy.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: February 26, 2021 06:53PM

I wonder why they haven't been reproduced? I would buy a couple of dozen at least.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: February 27, 2021 04:48AM

I find that my collection of parts ebbs and flows.

I had to get some upper choke rods from my buddy one time, now I've got a lot.

I was low on valve cover retainers now my coffee can runneth over.

I've had to go looking for 140 and 63 PCV tubes.

I never seem to have enough LM Manual bellhousings. I've got a few now and hopefully they can grow. I've tapped out my local buddies. I suppose it can be attributed to flywheels gone bad.

The guys rebuilding turbos seem to have a stash of original parts like bearings. I'm afraid I'm a little late in the game to build spares reasonably.

It's hard to find a 64 turbo exhaust side when you actually need one for a 64.

The side perimeter seal retainer strips for FCs are scarce here, I haven't looked into availability yet. I don't have a lot of car ones either. They get rusty here.

I've got a few 64 rear engine mount brackets but they can be scarce. It's nicer than doing the washer thing. I've taken to buying the expensive rear perimeter seal retainer strips, they're nicer than anything I can fabricate.

Right front corner shrouds that aren't rusted away around the exhaust manifold are scarce, maybe that's just a Northern thing.

Another Northern thing is upper crankcase studs eroded back to the nuts. They usually work okay but I'd like to buy some used ones from a Southern collector. If one unscrews it would be nice to at least put a good one back in. New ones are so expensive.

I always get calls for plastic pieces like LM 4-door dividers and Lakewood rear hatch hinge covers. Nothing like 60 year old plastic.

I found a Spyder under dash switch pod this week, they're a lot easier to lose than an instrument cluster.

I finally have EM and LM Carter YH test carburetors. That seemed hard to find but maybe it was more of a time thing.

In the Late 90s when Egil Twedt passed away we tossed like 50 Corvair seats in a dumpster. Seats take up more indoor storage space than I have. Seats with good vinyl are hard to come by, especially drivers and rear seat top.

700 beltline trim. So lovely but so elusive. The abbreviated 62 version just doesn't do it for me. 60s are different. Pretty much leaves 61 I guess.

Mister Dumbass here scrapped 2 4-door 900s without removing the trim around the windows. Hey it was the 90s.

Drilling out broken exhaust manifold studs is sort of a pain. Much easier now that I've replaced my drill press handle instead of using a 1/2" wrench. It's pure joy to go to the exhaust manifold department and find a pair with good studs.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.