Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Towing with a Car Dolly
Posted by: 63900CV ()
Date: February 20, 2021 04:10PM

Point taken didget69
Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: February 20, 2021 06:54PM

I'll say it one more time.
I towed a Corvair backwards on a tow dolly from New York to Minnesota and it was fine. I tied the steering wheel with rope.
I would not take a chance of towing a Powerglide with the rear wheels turning. Even if someone else has done it.
Period.
I'm not telling someone else what to do, I'm sure towing forward is safer.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2021 06:58PM by JimBrandberg.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: February 21, 2021 04:31AM

I worked on call weekends for a towing company. I absolutely hated it but that's another topic.
They said I absolutely always had to tow an automatic transmission car with the drive wheels off the ground. If AWD then you needed to get the dollies out. There was the danger of having to compensate people for transmission damage.
My understanding has always been that you don't tow a PG Corvair with the rear wheels turning unless the engine was at least idling. That could be wrong information but it's what I always heard until today.
If people have done it successfully I can't take away their testimony. I would also be interested in their reasoning.
I did tow bar and car dolly transporting of Corvairs before I had a trailer. I sort of toyed with the idea of having a tow dolly along when doing mobile repairs with a Corvair 95 Van so I'm interested in further discussion.
I'm sorry for being a wise guy above. I have trouble with the folks at U-Haul being the ultimate authority when they won't let you rent something to transport a Corvair. Also I believe the manufacturers are trying to cover their liability more than they're trying to be helpful.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: February 21, 2021 05:33AM

Just tp point out in my situation our car is a Manual transmission

Thank you all again for great input

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: February 21, 2021 06:26AM

I know this thread is played out, but I wanted to emphasize speed limits while towing, whether with a dolly or not.

A few years back, down in the days when California Corvairs was on Temescal Canyon Road, I put my LM 66 Coupe 500 on a U-haul flatbed trailer and took it from Buena Park out to his place.

The trailer was marked for 55 miles an hour, and I was pulling it with a pickup truck on the freeway. I was relaxed and enjoying myself, just tooling long, when suddenly I felt the truck jerking. I looked in my rear view mirror, and the trailer was whipping in the wind like that old film of the bridge in Washington State. You know, the one they use in rock and roll videos.

I backed off the accelerator, and it slowly stopped moving, but I came very close to the car and the trailer just flying off into it traffic. As I recall I wasn't going more than 65 mph. Respect your trailer specs!

And for what it's worth, I've also always understood Powerglides to be a No-No pulling with the wheels on the ground over 35 mph, because as with all automatic transmissions, the wheels are never completely disengaged from the transmission. If I'm not mistaken, that is outlined in the user's manual that comes with the Corvairs.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota, by way of Porterville, California
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: February 21, 2021 07:14AM

Was the Corvair pulled or backed onto the U-Haul trailer?

Posted by: ingraham ()
Date: February 21, 2021 10:22AM

To change the subject slightly. I am wondering about experiences with flat towing your Corvair. We sometimes take a motorhome to regional locations and drive our Greenbriar separately. I would go to more distant events, if I could reasonably flat tow the van and drive at 55mph or so.

I don't particularly want to own and store a dolly just for the few occasions we might use it.

If you do flat tow, what type of tow bar do you use and how/where do you connect it to the car/van?

Bill Ingraham
1963 Greenbriar
1952 Chevy Deluxe

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 21, 2021 11:22AM

All Vairs can be flat towed easily. 2500 lb. Powerglide vehicles are fine as the trans has a REAR pump driven by the wheels.. why you can push-start.

Towbars are usually connected to the body bumper bolt holes, some use stiffening plates.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: February 21, 2021 12:54PM

Hey Eric, Like WM, I am curious about, . . . . .
the direction the car was facing,
How far forward it was on the trailer,
and the size of the truck pulling the trailer (S-10/Ranger sized, 1/2-ton, 3/4 ton, 1-ton, or larger) ?
Uhaul puts that 55 MPH sticker on their trailers PURELY to cover their liability.
They are able to SAFELY handle speeds in far excess of 55MPH.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: didget69 ()
Date: February 21, 2021 03:29PM

American Mel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Eric, Like WM, I am curious about, . . . . .
> the direction the car was facing,
> How far forward it was on the trailer,
> and the size of the truck pulling the trailer (S-10/Ranger sized, 1/2-ton, 3/4 ton, 1-ton, or larger) ?
> Uhaul puts that 55 MPH sticker on their trailers PURELY to cover their liability.
> They are able to SAFELY handle speeds in far excess of 55MPH.

U-Haul & others don't use the 55mph restriction necessarily due to liability - it has more to do with the fact that they cannot ascertain WHAT the Renter is going to do with said 'hauling device', be it trailer, or dolly... is the vehicle properly loaded to manage balanced load distribution & tongue weight??

bnc

Date: February 21, 2021 03:54PM

didget69 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> U-Haul & others don't use the 55mph restriction necessarily due to liability - it has more to do with the fact that they cannot ascertain WHAT the Renter is going to do with said 'hauling device', be it trailer, or dolly... is the vehicle properly loaded to manage balanced load distribution & tongue weight??
>
> bnc

EXACTLY!
And they do not want to be LIABLE!
As you have shown.
It isnt that the trailer can't do more than 55MPH, they don't know that you will load it correctly.
They don't want to be responsible for your stupidity.

WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: February 21, 2021 04:01PM

Here is how I brought my 63 home no problems.

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block (Sold)
86' BMW 325es
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo
67' UltraVan 211 "Violet"
NFCC, UMCC
Grand Island, NY

Attachments:
Date: February 21, 2021 05:22PM

TOM!!

that is a perfect illustration of why I asked the question to begin with!

Looks exactly like the car I am going to tow!!!

Thank you for the picture and one picture tells a thousand words

63900CV

Date: February 21, 2021 06:14PM

For those who were asking,

The truck was a pickup rental from U-Haul. I basically rented the truck and the trailer. So I think it was about 1500 size. Referencing it in terms of Chevys.

The car was facing forward on the trailer.

I understand that this hasn't been everyone's experience I'm just letting you know mine. This was on the 91 freeway in California, heading slightly uphill through a canyon. I don't have any further details; I'm sorry it's been a while.

For the record I usually tow with the Corvair facing forward. This was the only time I ever had a problem. And because of it, I don't usually travel over 60 miles an hour with the car anymore.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota, by way of Porterville, California
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Date: February 21, 2021 08:20PM

Too much weight on the rear!
THAT, not the speed is what caused the trailer to whip. (Of course, once the oscillations started, the speed did not help it, but it never would have happened with the car backed onto the trailer.)

Date: February 22, 2021 06:01AM

Very likely. But with the configuration of those U-Haul trailers, with the big wheel wells on the sides I've never trusted backing in!

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: February 22, 2021 07:35AM

In my some what limited trailer towing experience I've used some OLD GUYS suggestions and always done well.
Before you hook up your trailer take a measurement from a spot on the back bumper of the tow vehicle to the ground. Hook up your trailer and load it with whatever. If your back bumper doesn't lower between 1"- 2", STOP. Re arrange your payload till it does. This is what's know as tongue weight and is essential to safe trailer towing.
If your loaded trailer actually raises the tow vehicle ANY amount, for God's sake don't release the trailer tongue from the ball hitch. The tongue is likely to smack you in the chin.
Another more accurate check I do when I'm loading a new to me item on, or building a trailer and setting axle placement, get an old set of bathroom scales and with some blocking, set them under the trailer ball socket. With trailer empty I shoot for a tongue weight of between 50-100lbs. Loaded, from 75-125lbs. Within reason, the greater the trailer gross vehicle weight, the more tongue weight.
Happy motoring.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2021 07:40AM by Wagon Master.

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: February 22, 2021 08:12AM

I have towed several different Corvairs thousands of miles on a tow dolly - so many in fact, that I finally bought my own dolly.

I have towed forwards, backwards, FC (PG Greenbrier, Manual Rampside), Sedan, Coupe, Convertible. Mostly Lates, but with just about every trans/ engine combination.

I typically pull with the Corvair on the dolly backwards, to have the weight on the dolly.
As long as the front suspension is halfway serviceable (ball joints and tie rods are not toast), this is a non-issue. Tie the steering down, and tow.

I have seen zero damage to my PG convertible towing it with the rear wheels on the ground (convertible, so I dont tow backwards)

The late Bob Ballew wrote a great "book" on the PG, available from the Corvanatics website. There's a whole chapter / article / whatever on why its ok to tow a Corvair PG with the rear wheels on the ground...

Eric p.
DeWitt, IA

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.