Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
64 Spyder light switch
Posted by: Britcorvair ()
Date: February 18, 2021 05:12AM

Hi, I'm going through the electrics on this car ( bought running but no electrics working) I've extracted each wire from the multiplugs one at a time, cleaned them and replaced back into the plugs.

The light switch plug has a spare hole into which the black with blue stripe can fit. I'm not sure if I put it back into the correct hole ( 50/50 chance.it currently is in line with pin number 6 on the back of the switch. ( I tried unsuccessfully to load a photo)
Can anyone please advise me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 64 Spyder light switch
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: February 18, 2021 05:19AM

Does this help?
[corvaircenter.com]

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Date: February 18, 2021 07:02AM

Hi Joel, thanks for your quick response. The back of my switch is identical to the photo you referred me to except that two of my wires are different colours. I have a brown at terminal 3 which I know is in its original position.I also have a black/blue at 6. This is the one I'm not sure of because it could move to the empty plug hole at terminal 4. I know that it's 50/50 shot but will something sizzle if I've got it wrong.

Thanks everyone

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: February 18, 2021 07:32AM

Easy solution, take a test light, and check the wire to see if it is grounded. If it isn't, then using a jumper lead from the battery, put 12 volts to the wire, and look to see what lights up. That way, you will know what that wire is for. If you think of the positive wires as hot water, and the negative wires as cold water, and you don't ever want the hot to mix with the cold, you can figure out any wiring problems, except for possibly the directional switch, which is a wiring nightmare for most people.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: February 18, 2021 07:42AM

If you look s few posts up from the switch post, through the schematic Joel posted, I'm not finding a black with blue tracer wire anywhere. Possible it replace the light blue wire at some point? Plus if you have a black/blue wire at #6, where is your lt. blue wire going? Or don't you have one.

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: February 18, 2021 07:42AM

Here is a snip of the switch from electrical diagram

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block (Sold)
86' BMW 325es
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo
67' UltraVan 211 "Violet"
NFCC, UMCC
Grand Island, NY

Attachments:
Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: February 18, 2021 07:48AM

Here is from 65 that has brown wire on diagram

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block (Sold)
86' BMW 325es
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo
67' UltraVan 211 "Violet"
NFCC, UMCC
Grand Island, NY

Attachments:
Date: February 18, 2021 10:50AM

Thanks everyone for your input, I'll see what transpires.

I'm sure I'll have some more questions as haven't had a Corvair before and advice is not easy to find here in the UK

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.