Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
OT-Venting, Not Corvair other than My Tow Truck
Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: February 17, 2021 04:55PM

I just had a situation with my Chevy Silverado 2500. I had an off road excursion and broke a brake line. That is a story in it's self.
Anyway, I took my truck to a repair shop to get the line fixed, they gave me a price and I said OK. So, now it comes down to "supposedly" 2 other brake lines broke while trying to bleed the brakes, possible. OK, how much? They said they couldn't get the bleeders loose and had to replace the calipers. I told them how to get around that but apparently they want to make the profit on parts and said they couldn't do it without replacing the calipers. Of course they can't use my parts due to liability, translate that to profit.

The only reason I took it anywhere is it is damn cold here and my shop has the race car in it. Well guess what? I'm going to finish the reseal job I'm doing and the race car will go in the cold and the truck will go into the shop and I will replace the lines without having to crack a bleeder line!

Don't think I can do it? Ask ANYONE that was at the Kalamazoo that watched my dual master conversion tech session! I never cracked a bleeder and asked the owner to verify and the brakes were right at the top of the pedal. I hate parts replacers!

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT-Venting, Not Corvair other than My Tow Truck
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 17, 2021 05:17PM

Sign of the times... imo Why I RENT cars for long trips... I haven't heard anyone who broke down that it didn't cost the one or two days in a motel and $2k

Had one acquaintance who had two weeks to move his daughter / apartment backeast...

4wd tranny failed.. repair time was 2-3 weeks...and minimum of $4500, so he bought a new $40k truck!!! OUCH!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: February 17, 2021 05:26PM

I never let anybody work on my vehicles unless I already have all the answers...like a good lawyer.

Date: February 18, 2021 02:17AM

Unfortunately, I do have all the answers (LOL) and also why they didn't get to finish the job. The truck will just sit until warmer weather or I can get it in the shop. Not sure I want to put it on the hoist with an extra 50 gal of fuel though. My hoist is only rated at 5500# and the truck weighs right at 7000# Then add in the extra fuel weight and I'm not sure the hoist would take it. Yes, I have had the truck on the hoist before and it sort of struggled to get up in the air, with the extra fuel well ---

I don't need to add injury to insult!

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: 1963RedBrier ()
Date: February 18, 2021 04:08AM

Hi, Ken! Unsure what year your Silverado is, but a brake line failed in our '05 Suburban and I ended up replacing every single steel line in the Suburban with brand new pre-bent Stainless Steel lines. It took me a couple of weeks working on one line at a time when I had time, but I'm very happy I replaced all the lines just for piece of mind! You may want to do the same... Good luck! Greg

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: February 18, 2021 04:40AM

I repaired one, myself, on my full size Chevy Van. I PIA to it right. Then two more looked real bad, it was cold so I paid to have it done. Looked like a real s**t show as far as workmanship. Neighbor two go out on his Silverado, they go out where they go into the frame. They pulled the body from the frame to make the repair look factory.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: February 18, 2021 06:05AM

I replaced all of the lines with prevent stainless on my 03 2500HD. They are the only things still shiny under it.
I had the front bleeder screws rust away to nothing. I was able to extract them. I replaced them with new GM bleeders as they weren't available in the after market. Those too disintegrated.

Lee J

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: February 18, 2021 08:58AM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sign of the times... imo Why I RENT cars for long trips... I haven't heard anyone who broke down that it didn't cost the one or two days in a motel and $2k
>
> Had one acquaintance who had two weeks to move his daughter / apartment backeast...
>
> 4wd tranny failed.. repair time was 2-3 weeks...and minimum of $4500, so he bought a new $40k truck!!! OUCH!

Agree -- For decades I drove go to work beaters and rented new cars for trips. A lot of advantages with a rental. Didn't care where I parked it on trips, if it broke down or malfunctioned I got another car ASAP.

After watching those enjoy the convenience of an electric car one will probably be my next daily driver. I get "But what about long trips?". I say "What long trips.". I either fly or rent a car for trips.

Posted by: Melb-Mike ()
Date: February 18, 2021 09:12AM

Ken, it sure sounds like your truck has had its share of salt thrown up under the chassis. Rusted brake lines and bleeders that won't open sound like some pretty severe corrosion. I'm wondering if the rest of the chassis is in similar condition. Are the frame members rusting as well ? Spring mounts, cross members?

I didn't know they made a lift that was rated less than 7000 lbs. Both of mine are rated higher and I bought the basic lifts.

64 Greenbrier
64 Spyder (needs restoration)
65 Corsa 140, restored
66 Corsa turbo, restoring now
66 Corsa 140 "RR" code coupe fully restored
67 Pontiac GTO restored
69 Corvette 427 convertible restored
2015 Porsche Panamera S
2015 Corvette Z06
1965 AC Cobra (Factory Five)

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: February 18, 2021 11:44AM

CUNIFER! Learn from Volvo. Way easier to install than stainless steel, since you can make them yourself. You can also buy stainless steel flare nuts. Summit Racing has them. They also have the stainless steel "guard" those spring looking parts.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: February 18, 2021 12:11PM

At a 9,000lb. rating mine will handle a 4 wheel drive diesel Suburban. A case where I definitely felt more was better.

Posted by: Jim Stukenborg ()
Date: February 18, 2021 01:52PM

Ken, as Paul Harvey used to say "and now for the rest of the story". Lets here about the excursion. Jim

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 18, 2021 02:23PM

Years ago one of our members had the DIFF. housing collapse due to rust Astrovan iirc

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: alphasud ()
Date: February 18, 2021 05:20PM

I feel your pain. Be careful with your lift. I have a 9K lift but it isn’t safe to lift a 3/4 ton diesel. You need at least a 10K lift to be safe. I know GM has issues with rusted brake lines. I always thought it was a good idea that Saab and Volvo epoxy coated the brake lines. Stainless seems like the way to go. Colorado like most other states have switched over to salt and mag chloride to treat roads instead of sand and grit. 3 years in the winter with my F250 turned the pristine chassis into rusty scale.

David North Idaho
1965 Corsa Turbo converted to 140
1971 Super Beetle with 2.5L Subaru engine
1965 Corsa mid engine project
1973 Mercedes 280 project

Date: February 18, 2021 05:51PM

Melb-Mike Wrote:
> Ken, it sure sounds like your truck has had its share of salt thrown up under the chassis. Rusted brake lines and bleeders that won't open sound like some pretty severe corrosion. I'm wondering if the rest of the chassis is in similar condition. Are the frame members rusting as well ? Spring mounts, cross members?
>
> I didn't know they made a lift that was rated less than 7000 lbs. Both of mine are rated higher and I bought the basic lifts.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have put a 100,000 on the truck myself with MI salty winters! It still runs good with 215,000 miles, just broken it for a diesel. I posted pics of the trailer hitch rusted and breaking! The spring perches are OK but I also see frame deterioration. That is why I added a long flat bar on top of the frame when I put the new trailer hitch and bumper on.

As far as the lift it is OLD! I looked up the name and they were bought out by a name brand, can't remember which but it definitely says 5500# rating.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Date: February 18, 2021 05:57PM

Frank DuVal Wrote:
> CUNIFER! Learn from Volvo. Way easier to install than stainless steel, since you can make them yourself. You can also buy stainless steel flare nuts. Summit Racing has them. They also have the stainless steel "guard" those spring looking parts.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

When I actually get better weather and maybe less fuel in the truck, hmmm, can't really drive it. I might be relegated to working on the ground!

Yes, CUNIFER replacement!

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Date: February 18, 2021 06:35PM

Jim Stukenborg Wrote:
> Ken, as Paul Harvey used to say "and now for the rest of the story". Lets here about the excursion. Jim
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The rest of the story? OH yeah.

I went with a friend down to Dayton, OH and he purchased a very nice 64 Spyder vert. We drove his truck! LOL We have had some colder weather with some snow but not bad at the time. On the way home I took the back way with some gravel road. Everything was fine as far as the roads go all except this one corner! Keep in mind I have been on this road before and I knew the corner was coming up. What I didn't know nor did any of the rest of the road portray this but this corner was ALL ice. When I turned the steering wheel nothing happened, the brakes did very little of course and to top it off that is the swamp area. I was a truck width off the road and it was really soft even though everything else was frozen. I couldn't get out the driver's door. I know the local wrecker guys so I called. As a matter of fact when we were all done he just told me to come down tomorrow to pay! But that's not all! I had to crawl back in to take it out of park, what happens when you take newer vehicles out of park? The doors lock! The truck was still running with the keys in it, now there was the insult to injury!

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.