Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Looking for 1965 Madeira Maroon Spray out Samples - Help please
Posted by: Brucem ()
Date: February 17, 2021 01:10PM

We are trying to match Madeira Maroon paint as close as possible. We have all of the codes - but are not getting close on the color. Has anyone had luck with painting this color and getting it close to the original? If so - do you have any samples left or the spray out cards that I can use to match. My car is blasted and ready for paint - no paint left on the body to match. Please share your experience.
thanks - Bruce

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for 1965 Madeira Maroon Spray out Samples - Help please
Posted by: vairsUPnorth ()
Date: February 17, 2021 07:19PM

Hello Bruce,
Do you just need an original color sample? I own an original paint 1965 500 Sport Sedan in non-faded Madeira Maroon. This is a garage kept Michigan car that was apparently driven only on back roads and has never seen salt. I could perhaps lend you the gas filler door to make a match?

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI

Attachments:
Posted by: Brucem ()
Date: February 18, 2021 08:22AM

Wow Dale! I do not know how to respond to a kind note like that other than I am blown away by your thoughtful generosity. Before we go to that level - I have sent an SOS to the local club to see if someone has something similar to what you are offering. Should that not pan out I will follow up with you.
Thank you for your kind offer and I will keep you posted.
REGARDS.

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: February 18, 2021 09:02AM

Sorry this may be of no help but, but back in the '60s all the street rodders were nuts about a color called "Honduras Maroon". Could it be the same shade?

Dan Brizendine, Circle City Corvairs
'64 8 door Greenbrier, +.060, stroked 186 ci.140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: February 18, 2021 09:45AM

Brucem Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We are trying to match Madeira Maroon paint as close as possible. We have all of the codes - but are not getting close on the color. Has anyone had luck with painting this color and getting it close to the original? If so - do you have any samples left or the spray out cards that I can use to match. My car is blasted and ready for paint - no paint left on the body to match. Please share your experience.
> thanks - Bruce

Bruce -
Make sure your spray outs are over varying colors of primer - unless you are absolutely certain the color of primer on your car, it can make huge changes in the color.

Eric

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: February 18, 2021 09:58AM

vairsUPnorth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I could perhaps lend you the gas filler door to make a match?

I tried that once on a 65 non-op (take the fuel door to the paint shop for a color match) but getting the door off while the gas filler neck was still installed was a tough nut to crack. I found it easier to remove one of the cove castings and took that to get the paint matched instead.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Posted by: pvholgado ()
Date: February 18, 2021 09:59AM

I had the same problem- this is what my guy came up with- BC/CC

Results-

"A sign of great intelligence is being able to say 'I don't know'"
1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe
Located 25 miles East of Rochester, NY

Attachments:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.