Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Covairs still turn heads
Posted by: zimby2@gmail.com ()
Date: February 17, 2021 11:08AM

I live in Orange Ca in Orange county and there's no shortage of vintage cars, muscle cars, and exotic cars on the street.

I was about 1/2 way through the restoration on my 66 coupe and was getting discouraged. We made some bad rookie mistakes and it was over budget but we pressed on and finished the car.

I have about 400 miles on it now. All local trips around the county. I don't think I have taken it out one single time without someone either giving me a thumbs and big smile up or rolling down windows at lights to ask about car.

The more I drive it the better I like it and not because of the attention. These are very cool and still affordable classics. I think they have been overlooked based on the response I get out on the road I think we may just be on to something with a bright future. Even if not they ARE more than good little sports cars and we can just keep that to ourselves.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Covairs still turn heads
Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: February 17, 2021 11:20AM

I drove Gem out to the mailbox yesterday.

Only about a third of a mile each way.

I got a total of three thumbs up!!!

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: February 17, 2021 11:27AM

I am doing my part to keep the Corvair in everyone's minds. This last weekend here in Denver low temps in early morning were -10 twice and -14 once, Yes below zero degrees. My 67 daily driver cpe 110/4spd sits out every night but every one of those cold mornings engine started easily and by the time I had windows cleared the heater was making hot air and I drove to the shop as usual. Even those mornings I had a couple of people at traffic lights wave and smile and thumbs up.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Posted by: fred bagnall ()
Date: February 17, 2021 12:23PM

I recieve more smiles per mile in my daily driven Corvairs than any modern vehicle that I drive and own. I log thousands of miles in my Vairs every year, thus proving their ruggedness and durability. thumbs upthumbs up

64 Greenbrier std -110, 4spd,barn find on the road again after 46 year hiatus.
66 Turbo Corsa, 180hp,posi-trac, quick steering HD suspension,AM-FM-multiplex,soft-Ray glass all around
Floridian currently residing in Nor Cal

Attachments:

Posted by: Billdozer ()
Date: February 17, 2021 01:34PM

Steve. Do you drive it in snow? How does it do?

Billy T.
San Luis Obispo, CA
64 Monza Spyder
(non-turbo)

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: February 17, 2021 02:39PM

Billdozer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Steve. Do you drive it in snow? How does it do?

I ain't Steve, but I can tell you that Corvairs do GREAT in snow! thumbs up

These are from 2018, I plowed the road home from work with my air dam, but she just kept going.
Drive her all year round.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Attachments:

Date: February 17, 2021 03:05PM

Billdozer Wrote:
> Steve. Do you drive it in snow? How does it do?
--------------------------------------

Steve sez: Yes in fact from 1967 my wife drove her Corvair everyday to her office and I drove mine to the shop. Included too was ice racing on frozen lakes in the mountains which obviously drove on snow/ice to get there. I placed 4 studded snow tires on Ruths car so I didn't have to worry about her on slick roads.

Now I will admit one thing here: none of my Corvairs ever had much ground clearance so it wasn't difficult to begin to rub the bottom of the car and if not careful start to high center and/or drag air dams etc. I kept a 1975 Wagoneer that Ruth thought she wanted and after moving to this shop location in 1997 I realized the altitude change. I keep it here at the shop because my altitude is above Denver and snow depth can be high and I use the jeep then. Only of weather guessers predict more than 6-8" however, I would prefer to drive my daily driver 67 cpe. Oh, it has street tread tires not studs etc.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2021 03:07PM by steve c goodman.

Posted by: pvholgado ()
Date: February 17, 2021 04:15PM

In 1969 my 66 110 and I lived in Oswego, NY- for those not familiar with Oswego- it is one of the snowiest places in the NE snowbelt- often towns in and around Oswego hold the annual snowfall record for East of Mississippi- Anyway I daily drove my Vair to work in all kinds of snow- without snow tires- They are great for going- not so good for whoa...ing--

"A sign of great intelligence is being able to say 'I don't know'"
1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe
Located 25 miles East of Rochester, NY

Date: February 17, 2021 04:21PM

Tire tread design used to come into play for the 'whoa..ing' part. I never had any troubles braking with normal tires although as I stated I put 4 studded tires on Ruths' car. Today around here there is a traction law if going into mountains of only rated snow tires plus chains in the glove box just in case. Caught without designated tires brings large fines too.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: February 17, 2021 04:55PM

One time here in SW Colorado my wife couldn't get out of our driveway with her AWD Volvo wagon but my Rampside PG went around her and kept on going. Also without snow tires. Corvairs- all the weight (drivetrain) is over the drive wheels.

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: February 17, 2021 05:24PM

Thank you for hanging a flag on that ladder Fred.

You see so many idiots with lumber and no flag.

Sticking out more than the legal length limit.

Mostly so called professional contractors!!

Posted by: DOUG WARD ()
Date: February 17, 2021 08:25PM

Hi Zimby. I also live in Orange. Just west of main st on Almond.I recently did a 3 year restoration on my 65 turbo Corsa. It does turn heads too ! It would be fun to get together & compare cars / notes. Do you live nearby ?

Doug Ward
Orange, Calif.
65 Corsa 180, 64 Monza convertible, 61 Lakewood, 61 Monza

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: February 17, 2021 08:59PM

In Porterville, CA, I turned a neighbor's teenager on to mine. Had him helping me out with little projects. Now instead of saving up for a Mustang he is saving up for a Corvair.

Also had a kid walking by while I was working on it with the garage door open one night. He stopped to talk and by the time we were done he declared that the Corvair was his new favorite car.

I often have guys at gas stations asking to see the engine, as well.

Eric C. Player
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club.
RESIDENT: Porterville, California and Fargo, North Dakota
THEN:
1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow
1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW:
1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Attachments:
Posted by: zimby2@gmail.com ()
Date: February 18, 2021 06:37AM

Doug, You literally live right around the corner. We are on River st by Hart Park. You should join our Corsa club. PM me for details.

Posted by: FoiledAgain ()
Date: February 18, 2021 12:11PM

Greetings from the Big Bend of Texas, which normally does not freeze solid, but...is frozen solid.
For some amazing reason the power has not gone out yet.

A wayward snowman rolled up, sat down in front of the Corvair for a look-see, lit his pipe and wondered aloud why I wasn't out driftbusting with it.
Told him it was the car's day off.
By the way, even with a worn-out motor, 1960 choke and more decrepitude-related issues than you can shake a stick at, this guy can sit for a week in the frosty nastiness and start right up. Unlike Texas.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 18, 2021 12:18PM

Foiled... you're a lucky man!!! GG

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: FoiledAgain ()
Date: February 18, 2021 01:01PM

MattNall Wrote:

> Foiled... you're a lucky man!!! GG

Experts agree!

Posted by: DOUG WARD ()
Date: February 21, 2021 07:10PM

Hi Zimby, I was in your neighborhood the other day & I think I found your house. Is your Corvair under a black cover ? Also is it the 2nd house, tan, with a number common to the size of a chevy V-8 . Doug Ward

Doug Ward
Orange, Calif.
65 Corsa 180, 64 Monza convertible, 61 Lakewood, 61 Monza

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: February 22, 2021 07:06AM

I agree with the OP on public recognition with our Corvairs out there on the road.
Lot's of thumbs up"s for sure.

My 64 Brier has had its adventures over the past 40+ years we have been driving it. As far as snow.... this was a blizzard in Pearblossom Ca. January 1986. Other than some carburetor icing eye popping smiley because I had removed the inside engine compartment triangular air deflectors, It performed fine. drinking smiley
I overcame the carb icing by blocking off the outside fender air inlets and lifting and propping the engine cover up inside the cab! Now I knew what they are there for!winking smiley

Corventure Dave

Attachments:
Posted by: corvairtherapy ()
Date: February 23, 2021 08:12AM

I often wondered if they can't see that big ladder, what are the chances they see that little flag?
Dave.. .

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.