Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
WTB- 1 Std size LM Cylinder
Posted by: pvholgado ()
Date: February 16, 2021 02:45PM

I just bought 5 std cylinders and need a sixth to fill out the set- no broken fins, pitting of walls, etc. Looking for a bargain or a donation....Let me know via PM what you have and what you need to ship it to 14589 zip. Thanks, Phil

"A sign of great intelligence is being able to say 'I don't know'"
1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe
Located 25 miles East of Rochester, NY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WTB- 1 Std size LM Cylinder
Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: February 16, 2021 05:07PM

I'm pretty sure I have an NOS one but it isn't free. $60 plus shipping.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Date: February 16, 2021 05:12PM

I appreciate the offer but I just bought 5 (Not NOS) for $50 plus shipping- looking to try my hand at an engine build to practice for when (not if) I blow up my turbo....Thanks for the offer but I'll pass. Stay safe. Phil

1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: February 16, 2021 05:16PM

That's a good idea, practicing. Maybe I'll do something like that, too. I'm living in the middle of nowhere now, in terms of finding Corvair expertise.

Eric C. Player
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club.
RESIDENT: Porterville, California and Fargo, North Dakota
THEN:
1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow
1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW:
1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Posted by: 63ConDan ()
Date: February 16, 2021 06:51PM

PP, have a look around, there are corvair people everywhere.

Dan Central MN
1968 Convert

Posted by: 63ConDan ()
Date: February 16, 2021 06:56PM

pvholgado Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I appreciate the offer but I just bought 5 (Not NOS) for $50 plus shipping- looking to try my hand at an engine build to practice for when (not if) I blow up my turbo....Thanks for the offer but I'll pass. Stay safe. Phil

Phil, what else is needed for this build to move forward?

Dan Central MN
1968 Convert

Date: February 17, 2021 08:01AM

I have rebuilt heads, block, std. trans. bellhousing, pushrod tubes. Rocker arms, rear block housing, and cylinders (minus1). I thought I'd try to gradually put together the parts on the cheap- I'm not in a hurry as I have a good running -so far- turbo motor in the car now- but we all know that it could go tomorrow or last till I'm long gone- I'm 70 yrs old and looking for a project that keeps me occupied and thinking.
I know I will have to make a substantial investment in cam, crank, pistons and rods etc. but I'm hoping to put off that expense till I'm ready to start rebuild.

63ConDan Wrote:
> pvholgado Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > I appreciate the offer but I just bought 5 (Not NOS) for $50 plus shipping- looking to try my hand at an engine build to practice for when (not if) I blow up my turbo....Thanks for the offer but I'll pass. Stay safe. Phil
>
>
> Phil, what else is needed for this build to move forward?

1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2021 08:02AM by pvholgado.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: February 17, 2021 09:32AM

Didn't all NOS cylinders come with new pistons in them? The pistons had ink numbers on them so you could assemble the same piston weight in opposing pairs.

The couple sets I've seen weren't like that so parts counter folks apparently didn't make the effort to inform the buyer, or didn't know better.

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: February 17, 2021 09:42AM

Phil:

If you can budget it, go for full finned cylinders, forged pistons and get rods and pistons balanced. It is a turbo, you want to build it for the power. Make sure you have a nitrided crankshaft also.q

Talk to Tom K about what camshaft you should use with the heads.

Al
Georgia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2021 09:43AM by Lane66m.

Date: February 17, 2021 09:57AM

Al, I agree re: the pistons and rods and will talk to Tom about cam- I got the cylinders for next to nothing so I may go with them- unless they aren't usable- stay tuned you are on my short list for advice on this venture- Phil

Lane66m Wrote:
> Phil:
>
> If you can budget it, go for full finned cylinders, forged pistons and get rods and pistons balanced. It is a turbo, you want to build it for the power. Make sure you have a nitrided crankshaft also.q
>
> Talk to Tom K about what camshaft you should use with the heads.

1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: February 17, 2021 10:04AM

I have old cylinders but they would have to be bored out. Won't be long and they will be China tools steel.

Get Ken's NOS cylinder, as anything other than that is a used cylinder. Any used cylinder will have wear requiring boring. I had 12 cylinders cleaned and honed and all were 0.005 over std. The engine would have been an oil burner, if used.

Al
Georgia

Date: February 17, 2021 10:17AM

Al, if the cylinders are toast I'll end up going to Clark's--right now just seeing what I can do on the cheap.

Lane66m Wrote:
> I have old cylinders but they would have to be bored out. Won't be long and they will be China tools steel.
>
> Get Ken's NOS cylinder, as anything other than that is a used cylinder. Any used cylinder will have wear requiring boring. I had 12 cylinders cleaned and honed and all were 0.005 over std. The engine would have been an oil burner, if used.

1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe

Posted by: Vairismo ()
Date: February 17, 2021 01:16PM

Don't know why there is such a rush to rebore any used cylinder. Corvairs are relatively easy on the cylinders when it comes to wear. That's what I've been told by an old guy (RIP) with a bore gauge anyway.
According to him, they are often not worn beyond the taper limits in the manual. Seems like re-ringing engines used to be fairly common, and successful. If you are talking a performance engine, well that situation
has a different set of priorities than just having a reliable daily driver engine on hand IMO.

Date: February 17, 2021 01:32PM

Yes, First objective is a reliable backup motor- 2nd objective is maybe build for endurance but with some up grades.

Vairismo Wrote:
> Don't know why there is such a rush to rebore any used cylinder. Corvairs are relatively easy on the cylinders when it comes to wear. That's what I've been told by an old guy (RIP) with a bore gauge anyway.
> According to him, they are often not worn beyond the taper limits in the manual. Seems like re-ringing engines used to be fairly common, and successful. If you are talking a performance engine, well that situation
> has a different set of priorities than just having a reliable daily driver engine on hand IMO.

1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: February 17, 2021 02:08PM

I have a std cylinder you can have if you will pay shipping. Flat rate box plus my gas to the post office $25.00

1965 Crown V8 Racer
1964 Bill Thomas Monza Replica Racer
1964 Spyder Street Car
1979 Mazda RX7

Mike Levine

Date: February 17, 2021 02:25PM

Appreciate the offer- Gatorfly just told me he has one for me to Adopt. Thanks anyway.

1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: February 17, 2021 02:56PM

pvholgado Wrote:
> Appreciate the offer- Gatorfly just told me he has one for me to Adopt. Thanks anyway.

I have a set of 6 that I was going to offer you for free, and I was going to pay the shipping, and enclose 6 one hundred dollar bills to help with your build, but now I see that you have what you were looking for, so the offer is off the table.smiling bouncing smiley

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: February 17, 2021 03:16PM

Spoken like a true friend of the hobby....LOL.

junkman Wrote:
> pvholgado Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > Appreciate the offer- Gatorfly just told me he has one for me to Adopt. Thanks anyway.
>
>
> I have a set of 6 that I was going to offer you for free, and I was going to pay the shipping, and enclose 6 one hundred dollar bills to help with your build, but now I see that you have what you were looking for, so the offer is off the table.smiling bouncing smiley

1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.