Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Clarks brake lines
Posted by: aj_ed ()
Date: February 16, 2021 11:25AM

Hi all, when trying to bleed my front brakes, R.front, I couldn't pump fluid out of the brake cylinder. Pulled the line loose to blow pressure through, and just dribbled. Ordered new front lines (pre-bent) from Clarks. What is involved to change these, removing gas tank, or what.
Ed

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Clarks brake lines
Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: February 16, 2021 11:54AM

RF is the worst, it goes over tank. I dropped my tank, and sway bar, maybe a better way, but I didn't see it.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: February 16, 2021 11:59AM

Yes, you need to remove the fuel tank to get the cross over pipe.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: February 16, 2021 12:17PM

I suggest don't just replace some of the hoses and lines. I suggest replace ALL of them. Brakes is not a place I try to save money or do short cuts. Of course this is just my opinion. YMMV.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: February 16, 2021 02:20PM

Was the dribble with the rubber hose still in the flow of fluid? If so, time to buy all four hoses, as they clog before the steel lines from what I have seen. Around here the steel lines rust out and need to be replaced for safety.eye popping smiley

There are tricks to replace the right front steel lines, none of them good! Drill hole in floor (or just use a rust hole) and run the new line from the Tee out the floor near the wheel. eye popping smiley Or try to run a straight piece of brake tubing from the wheel opening hole to near the steering column blindly. No way to secure this, so it could rub a hole later on... eye popping smiley I've done several back when we were just keeping the daily drivers on the road. New steel line even run in the wrong way was better than rusty lines ready to fail at the next stoplight.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2021 02:24PM by Frank DuVal.

Date: February 16, 2021 03:29PM

I replaced all 4 rubber lines, front to rear main line, and rear lines. I was waiting to put a late master cylinder, so I held up on the front lines. Just got the master installed and started to bleed brakes. All the other lines installed after body work and paint, before the pandemic.
What are you using for a perportioning valve, as the factory one I have for 67 is pretty rusty (not installed)?

Ed in So Cal
1965 Corsa 2nd owner

Date: February 16, 2021 03:30PM

Sorry, Drum brakes front and rear.
Ed

Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: February 16, 2021 03:58PM

That is not a proportioning valve!

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: February 16, 2021 07:05PM

Right, that hunk of iron with brake fittings and one wire is a balance switch.winking smiley

When the two brake systems get out of pressure balance (loss of fluid in one system or other fault) it lights the dashboard BRAKE light. Unless you have a 67-69 dash, you do not have the light and do not need the switch.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: February 17, 2021 08:49AM

Timothy Shortle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I suggest don't just replace some of the hoses and lines. I suggest replace ALL of them. Brakes is not a place I try to save money or do short cuts. Of course this is just my opinion. YMMV.

I agree. It is time consuming, but after a few brake failure "adventures" in old cars I now replace all the brake components when I get an old car.

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: February 17, 2021 09:09AM

I for one do not need a BRAKE warning light to tell me something is wrong with my brakes.

Date: February 17, 2021 09:50AM

Timothy Shortle Wrote:
> I for one do not need a BRAKE warning light to tell me something is wrong with my brakes.

LOL - that is a good point. However on dual master cylinders if one circuit fails the stopping power is greatly reduced and the pedal increases greatly, but the car will stop. You'd think that would be a tell-tale, but not to some. In the 70'm my company car was in the shop and I was told to use another persons company car. The first stop I knew something was very wrong with the brakes (it was a Ford with NO brake warning light). I went to the person who normally drove the car they said "Yeah I noticed something was off, but they still worked!!!".

This is why hair driers have a label that says "DO NOT USE IN TUB OR SHOWER" and vehicles have a brake warning light.

Posted by: Jim Stukenborg ()
Date: February 17, 2021 12:10PM

aj-ed, The Delco-Moraine brake book says you need to bleed a dual master cylinder with real slow movement of the brake pedal or you can end up with a bleeding problem if you are trying to pedal bleed the brakes. Jim

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: February 18, 2021 05:03AM

With the pedal travel on a Corvair it's pretty close to the floor in the event of a failure on one side of a dual master cylinder conversion. It's better than nothing but not good to be too brazen.
I don't know if they changed the pedal travel on Corvairs originally equipped with a dual MC...?

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: February 18, 2021 05:41AM

The brake light on '67-9's also eliminates with the parking brake on.

Date: February 18, 2021 09:03AM

JimBrandberg Wrote:
> With the pedal travel on a Corvair it's pretty close to the floor in the event of a failure on one side of a dual master cylinder conversion. It's better than nothing but not good to be too brazen.
> I don't know if they changed the pedal travel on Corvairs originally equipped with a dual MC...?

Pedal almost to the floor with one circuit failure was common on most mid 60's cars. I drove company cars then that received zero maintenance. I had both GM and Ford cars with brake failures and on all the pedal went almost to the floor and stopping power was reduced considerably. Still better than nothing.

Date: February 18, 2021 09:11AM

solo2r Wrote:
> The brake light on '67-9's also eliminates with the parking brake on.

Correct. Years ago someone in the club had a 67 emergency brake handle with the switch on it for the brake light. He gave it to me to use so I could install a copy (used an original unit to copy) of the under dash brake lamp.

Yeah I know --- who needs an emergency brake lamp as you'll know if the emergency brake is on when you try to move the car. One advantage a buddy mentioned to me was the lamp stays illuminated UNTIL the hand brake is ALL the way to the off stop. Made since because I've known a few folks cook the rear brakes with the emergency brake partially on.

Also - it gets a lot of attention at car shows which makes it fun to explain.

BTW there is no "flasher" unit. It uses a "blinking bulb" that Clark's sells. I found out the bulb has a built in thermal blade and was first designed for use in Lionel model trains.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.