Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Electric Fuel Pump - Where did you install yours ?
Posted by: Ducs ()
Date: February 16, 2021 07:20AM

Where have you guys installed your electric fuel pump on a LM ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Electric Fuel Pump - Where did you install yours ?
Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: February 16, 2021 07:36AM

The instructions of every electric pump states low and near the tank. The electric pumps push fuel so they like a gravity feed. Many will defy those instructions and mount in engine bay or near starter and claim the pump works fine even though the pump has to draw fuel uphill. Good luck on your choice.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Posted by: jazzworkerbee ()
Date: February 16, 2021 07:38AM

Mine is on the frame right next to the grounding point of the fuel tank sending unit. My relay is in the wheel well in the trunk, close to the relocated battery.

Daniel Atkinson
Tacoma, WA
65 Turbocharged Corsa

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: February 16, 2021 08:11AM

I usually put mine at the tank outlet under the passenger side floor but have one LM with the pump inside the engine compartment in the left rear corner. It's been like that since I bought it and I left it like that. 10 years later and still going strong. Not sure with the e-pumps available today (made in China) that you would get that same results with an e-pump in the engine compartment.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Posted by: MonzaDave ()
Date: February 16, 2021 08:34AM

Here:

Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN

Attachments:

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: February 16, 2021 10:57AM

Wish I had a picture but on my 65 Convertible I have it mounted on the PG transmission crossmember. It is pretty isolated there. I can hear it quietly at idle but otherwise I cannot hear it. I've had it there for many years. Seems to work fine. I like Dave's installation. Very clean.

Enjoy the Corvair!

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: February 16, 2021 03:07PM

Mine is similar to Monza Dave, but bolted it to the car with rubber "well nuts" for isolation.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: roger65180 ()
Date: February 16, 2021 07:53PM

my car is a track autocross car qjet turbocharged I changed the fuel line size all the way to 3/8 in including the sender I use a carter 72 gph 7psi pump mounted out side the engine compartment neer the starter 20 years now never a problem , I realize that my car is different than every one else but the cars early and late gravity feed all the way to the rear till the line goes up over the rear suspention ,on my 62 convert i have the pump mounted on the rear suspention frame the pump is very quiet there .

Roger R
Madison Wi
62 ct pg turbo
65intercooled 180 4sp,autocrosser
62 Rampy

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: February 16, 2021 08:51PM

I went to a in tank electric fuel pump a really long time ago when it was still carbureted. I got it from Dave Herrin at "The Source". although kind of a hassle to install (draining the tank, removing the fuel level sender ect.), once I got it going, absolutely loved it. When I went to EFI, I never thought of any other way to mount the pump, it had to be in tank! I sent a brand new tank down to Ray Sedman and he modified it to use a standard GM EFI fuel pump and fuel level sender that both mount in the top of the tank, as shown in the picture below.

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Attachments:
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: February 17, 2021 06:01AM

I usually go behind that little bulkhead in front. It gets a little busy especially if adding a second filter.
When it's not my car I can't always replace a gas tank that may be a little iffy so installing a clear plastic filter to monitor comes into play.
LM and EM are a little different routing into the tunnel. I keep some cast iron 1/8 NPT 90 degree "street elbow" fittings around, I like their smooth bend rather than abrupt 90 with the brass ones.

I did one lately that had a hacked up steel line anyway so I located the pump outside the tunnel on the left side in back, sort of in the throttle swivel area. Then I fabricated a new steel line to go up the back to the front of the engine compartment. Then a new inlet line to go in to the carburetor tee at the front of the engine rather than the rear.

I sort of like them down low in the back like in the transmission mount area but it's a pain to cut into the chassis line and bend up something decent.

I bought a sack of 1 1/4" rubber washers and usually put 2 under any bolt mounting to the chassis.

FCs are the best with a handy bulkhead behind the gas tank.

I come off the fuse block usually on the same circuit that has the heater and install a toggle switch and used Ford inertia switch for safety.

It's a fair amount of time which makes it hard to talk someone out of a faulty mechanical pump sometimes.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: MonzaDave ()
Date: February 17, 2021 07:40AM

I received a PM asking about noise with my setup. Here is my response:

I have no problem with pump noise. The pump is isolated from the bracket with a rubber grommet, but the aluminum bracket is mounted directly to the floor pan. The floor pans are insulated with strips of dynamat for dampening with foil covered insulation over that. I can hear the pump when I turn on the ignition, and it quiets down a bit as it builds pressure. After the car starts it's barely audible and on the road, I don't hear it at all. If I did it again, I'd isolate the bracket a bit from the floor pan -- grommets, rubber washers, well nuts, etc. -- not because noise is a problem, but because it would be good design practice.

Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN

Posted by: Ducs ()
Date: February 17, 2021 08:11AM

The preferred pump is Facet/Purolator 40104 / FEP42SV. Have anyone used Holley 12-426 ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.