Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
64 Spyder rear lights
Posted by: Britcorvair ()
Date: February 14, 2021 09:10AM

Hi, I'm new to Corvairs. My 64 Spyder has a number of electrical problems which I'm sorting out. The previous owner replaced the rear lights and lamp holders but left them unconnected.

The outer lights have two black wires protruding and the inners also have two blacks and a white.

The loom has a two wire connector plug plus a striped black/ green ( which has been cut off) adjacent to the light fittings.

Can you please advise me , I seem to have too many wires to join into the loom if all four lights operate at the same time. or are the inners wired separately?

Thanks, Gordon (UK)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 64 Spyder rear lights
Posted by: junkman ()
Date: February 14, 2021 09:31AM

The housings are grounded to the body by the rear clampng bracket that holds the light assemblies to the car. Check to make sure that the housings have a good ground. Then the 2 wires coming out the bottom of the bulb socket, one is for the stop / directional light, and the other is for the taillight. There should only be 2 taillights on the car, and the inners are the back up lights. Possibly because of local regulations, the back up lights were replace with taillights. If your wiring is hacked up, you might want to consider purchasing from www.corvair.com (Clarks Corvair) reproduction wiring harnesses. That way, you will be starting off with wiring that isn't 50+ years old, and everything will hook up properly. If you need new tail or back up light housings, I can provide you with NOS units.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: February 14, 2021 11:52AM

Thanks for your quick response. Both pairs of lights look identical however one pair the lamp is in the center and the other pair the lamps are pointing upwards, all bought by the po from Clarks.

Are you saying that only the outer lights are normally lit for indicator, stop and side light?

Thanks for your guidance

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: February 14, 2021 12:14PM

Yes, the inner ones are backup only.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Date: February 14, 2021 12:57PM

Thanks Joel, so the inner lights are not wired in and are unused, for decoration/ embellishments only.

Thanks for your help

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: February 14, 2021 01:21PM

No they are backup/reverse lights.
Check out the pictures in Clark's catalog. They should be clear in the middle.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2021 01:22PM by joelsplace.

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: February 14, 2021 06:50PM

Clear centers in the back up lens. Back up lights have only a single wire to them, and it is usually black. I suggest that if you don't already have the Factory Assembly Manual, that you purchase one from Clarks. It is the best guide to know how the car was assembled, and to answer questions about your specific car. I have the complete set of assembly manuals for the cars, and a couple for the FC models. I also have 2 1964 Spyders, one restored, and one that probably will never get restored.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: February 14, 2021 07:16PM

The outer lamp assemblies should have double contact sockets installed. The lamp that fit in them should be #1157. The two black wires, one is for taillamp the other for brake light/turn signal. Yes, Junkman is right, I just wanted to add, before hooking those black wires up to any harness, you need to touch each to the battery positive and see if it lights the bright (~32 candlepower) or dim (~3 candlepower) filament, and mark them accordingly.

The inner lamp assemblies had single contact sockets from the factory, and had #1156 lamps in them, a single filament, bright (~32 candlepower) lamp.

What sockets are in the assemblies now?

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: February 16, 2021 10:48AM

Thanks everyone for your help. The previous owner fitted four identical in appearance rear lights which confused me.

I bought the car knowing that although it starts and runs that the electrics needed to be sorted. At the moment the only electrics working( besides starting and running) are the door courtesy lights. Today I dismantled and cleaned the fuse board and have 12 volts at 5 of the six fuses, the 5 th from the flasher giving 5 volts from the green with a grey wire going out!

I think that I need to remove the instrument panel to see what's going on.How difficult is that?

I've cleaned all the multi plugs I can see and I've checked that there is a good earth to the panel. Any ideas anyone? Thanks Gordon

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.