Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Edelbrock Plant Closing
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: February 13, 2021 11:31AM

I don't know if this has been shared yet, but it is yet another example of what California is doing to its classic car market/industry under its draconian Covid19 policies.

Edelbrock to Shutter its Los Angeles County Headquarters after 83 Years

Eric C. Player
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club.
RESIDENT: Porterville, California and Fargo, North Dakota
THEN:
1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow
1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW:
1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Edelbrock Plant Closing
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 13, 2021 11:34AM

Sold to Holley a few years ago... only time til they consolodated.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: February 13, 2021 11:41AM

playerpage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't know if this has been shared yet, but it is yet another example of what California is doing to its classic car market/industry under its draconian Covid19 policies.
>
> Edelbrock to Shutter its Los Angeles County Headquarters after 83 Years

You probably should read the article. Or, possibly another one on the subject. Not much to do with Covid.

Though CA has issues that everybody likes to use to beat up on it (and they are not going away), it still puts any other state's economy to shame.

One of the reasons for the Edelbrock closure is competing for qualified machinists against all the other companies using such skilled labor in the LA area. I.E. they have to pay higher wages to secure / keep skilled machinists.

Of course, this is why all the new new car factories are in the south.

Real problem: Can the country train enough skilled machinists to support business needs?

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: February 13, 2021 11:45AM

Not Holley. Both Edelbrock and Comp Cams are owned by a Financial holding company. (As is Holley/MSD/others - but not the same company) The company is closing that Edelbrock assembly/office facility in Torrance and the Comp Cams HQ in Tennessee and opening a new Headquarters for both companies in Olive Branch, Mississippi.

"Aftermarket parts supplier Edelbrock is closing its Torrance, California, headquarters and manufacturing plant and shifting its operations to separate facilities in-state and across the country.
Edelbrock’s administrative offices will be moved to a 300,000-square-foot facility in Olive Branch, Mississippi, while most manufacturing processes will be transferred to its San Jacinto, California plant, located about 95 miles east of Torrance.

When asked about the move, Edelbrock Group Chief Commercial Officer Chris Douglas cited the company’s merger with COMP Performance Group in early 2020 as a primary factor. “We had seven campuses between us across the country,” he explained, “so it made a lot of business sense to sit down and ask, ‘What skill sets do we have at these various locations, and where can we make our organization stronger and combine efficiency?’

“Unfortunately, the decision-making process did impact Torrance, but it’s part of building a foundation and future expansion for our company,” he continued. “It’s bittersweet. Torrance has been the home for Edelbrock for many, many years, and we fully acknowledge that it may be difficult for the market to understand. But it is critical to fuel future growth.”

With the news, the company announced the expansion of its San Jacinto facility, which currently houses foundry and casting processes for its aluminum products. Douglas also revealed plans to open a new technical center in Cerritos, California, which is set to be fully operational by the time the Torrance facility officially shuts down on March 31. The Edelbrock Southern California Tech Center will house approximately 15 engineering and compliance employees to oversee some development and testing efforts, he said.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: February 13, 2021 12:07PM

playerpage Wrote:
> I don't know if this has been shared yet, but it is yet another example of what California is doing to its classic car market/industry under its draconian Covid19 policies.
>
> Edelbrock to Shutter its Los Angeles County Headquarters after 83 Years

Oh good gravy. Instead of Calif. bashing with your "assumptions" go READ about it in the business news. BTW - All the Corvair folks I deal with in Calif. have been open and doing business!!

The WSJ did a good review. As Matt said they were bought out, then a HUGE investment group bought out that owner and a number of other aftermarket car parts manufacturers and they are consolidating. In fact the Edlebrock casting facilities in California WILL REMAIN OPEN! Only the management and product research division of Edlebrock (in Torrance, Calif.) was closed. So it looks like this new investment group is curtailing new product development, cutting costs, and will optimize profits at ALL the companies they bought regardless of location.

The hand writing is on the wall, eventually demand for these products will diminish. Then the small specialty (expensive) shops will take over.

The history of the Ford flathead V8 aftermarket parts is a good example.

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: February 13, 2021 12:07PM

It burns me up to "bash" California. I've spent most of my life there. But pointing out real issues isn't bashing.

I read the article, been sitting on it for a week or so. The Covid19 conclusion is more a between-the-lines thing. California may have a big economy, but it isn't going to stay that way much longer. Plenty of other states have "bigger than most countries" (as all the California textbooks like to say) economies without the same whip-shaw policies. That is, regardless of politics, the key is stability and California isn't supplying that. We loved it there and had planned to stay until death, but the situation on the ground is what finally forced us out back in December. Happily, I was able to sign the Recall of Gavin Newsom last summer.

With Seth's new (to me) information in relation to the events of the article, I'm glad to hear the impact on local Edelbrock facilities will be minimal overall.

Eric C. Player
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club.
RESIDENT: Porterville, California and Fargo, North Dakota
THEN:
1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow
1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW:
1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2021 12:10PM by playerpage.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: February 13, 2021 12:27PM

"California...it still puts any other state's economy to shame."
I looked at several "best state economy" sites and none of them listed CA at the top but interestingly enough all of them did list them in the top 10. Only one listed Texas. Only one listed how they came to the conclusions and it had some stupid things on it like "bachelor degrees obtained by youth" or some such nonsense. I think it is odd that the DFW area has been flooded with people moving from CA for at least the last decade. My property has gone up 10x in value in 7 years. Northlake has gone from 1500 to over 5000 in less than 2 years. Farmer Brothers coffee moved down the street from me a couple of years ago from CA because it was bad business to stay there. I had never heard of them but apparently they make coffee for lots of hotels and even McDonald's supposedly. Stanley Black & Decker and Crown forklift just moved in next door to me last year but I don't know where they came from.
I think most of the lists use income to rank so there are lots of people here that don't care much about income and it is way cheaper to live here. They should adjust income with cost of living for any comparison.
I know people that make less than 30k and have really nice houses and no debt. I'll bet that isn't possible in CA.
I don't know what to believe but the article I read said sold the foundries also but was leasing them for the next couple of years.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2021 12:29PM by joelsplace.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: February 13, 2021 12:34PM

Here is an eye opening list of economies for you.

> > > Comparison between U.S. states and sovereign states by GDP < < <

Interesting tid-bit.
While our dearly beloved eye rolling smiley neighbor to the north of us, may be bigger geographically, Canada sits below
California
Texas,
and
New York,
on the list of Global economies.
But that is not really surprising when you realize that the entire population of Canada is less than the state of California.

AND,
The U.S. GDP is SOOO HUGE, we could remove those same MAJOR GDP states (CA. TX. NY.) from our national GDP, and we would STILL have a larger GDP than our closest competitor (China)!

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: February 13, 2021 01:18PM

No doubt California can improve, and should.

That said the Edlebrock closing in Torrance had nothing to do with COVID, it was a business consolidation decision as Matt pointed out. Although COVID is a nice excuse when you have to lay off folks during consolidation.

It's no fun laying off folks, few managers like to do it. Often excuses are made to soften the blow.

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: February 13, 2021 01:55PM

Anyone else find the story interesting that with California's strict emissions (business and cars) that they are keeping the foundry here? You would think that is the reason they were needing to move.

Date: February 13, 2021 03:43PM

wittsend Wrote:
> Anyone else find the story interesting that with California's strict emissions (business and cars) that they are keeping the foundry here? You would think that is the reason they were needing to move.

The foundry is in San Jacinto - 95 miles SE of Torrance. Foundry is not in LA Basin or even in LA County.

Date: February 13, 2021 03:51PM

A slightly different perspective:

[www.thedrive.com]

Date: February 14, 2021 12:22AM

joelsplace Wrote:
> "California...it still puts any other state's economy to shame."
> I looked at several "best state economy" sites and none of them listed CA at the top but interestingly enough all of them did list them in the top 10.
> I think it is odd that the DFW area has been flooded with people moving from CA for at least the last decade. My property has gone up 10x in value in 7 years. Northlake has gone from 1500 to over 5000 in less than 2 years.

I was only referring to the the total economic activity (GDP?) generated by a state.

Not all the polling / rating companies that rate states by various criteria concerning economic "amenities" like house prices, taxes, etc.

Looks like DFW has reached your area - and is over running it. DFW has been growing for decades - just like CA.

I made a couple business trips to DFW - 1986? There were acres / miles of new housing subdivisions (Arlington / Plano?). There were also many empty buildings - S&L crisis. Locals told me it was cheaper to build the building if there was financing. They called them "see-thrus" - because you could see through them as there was no interiors (no businesses to rent them).

Company I used to work for has been moving jobs (not people) to DFW for a decade. They want the cheaper labor in Texas (and elsewhere in US).

Date: February 14, 2021 10:58AM

RobertC Wrote:
> wittsend Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > Anyone else find the story interesting that with California's strict emissions (business and cars) that they are keeping the foundry here? You would think that is the reason they were needing to move.
>
> The foundry is in San Jacinto - 95 miles SE of Torrance. Foundry is not in LA Basin or even in LA County.

So.., are there different emission requirements for businesses like there are for cars based on location in California? Interestingly the urban area of San Jacinto falls under the enhanced smog test category (see map). I realize that the map refers to cars, not businesses but one would think that requirements would likely follow one another. I spent 10 years choking in the San Gabriel Valley back in the 60's/70's (and I'm not very sensitive lung wise). Now 44 years in much cleaner, far less populated Ventura County and we still are under enhanced smog check.

Another thing to ponder is that the raw castings will need to be shipped to Mississippi for machining and yet this is more economically advantageous? I wonder what the hourly wage difference is between the California location and the Mississippi location that makes that feasible???

My son completed all the machinist certificates at a local trade school back in 2014 and was competent enough to be hired at the school as an assistant. Both he and another individual (this man in his 50's) struggled to find work paying only $11-$13 an hour. Currently he is advancing his education and has a part time machinist job in the Tesla competitive Sunnyvale area - but the pay is only $20. So, I'm left to wonder what wage difference Edelbrock was competing again with Space-X etc.

Attachments:
Posted by: KOOP ()
Date: February 15, 2021 07:40AM

"Edelbrock joining forces with Comp Performance Group, owners of Comp Cams and a number of performance aftermarket companies, is what set this change in motion."

Yep. COVID got em.

Posted by: boudin ()
Date: February 18, 2021 01:07PM

happy to see them coming, been living in olive branch ms. for about 3 years

chris davis, olive branch Ms. 66 monza vert 4.3 tbi

Date: February 19, 2021 11:08AM

Can't help but think this is a factor regardless of the stated "competition" with Aerospace.

Attachments:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.