Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Creating new emblem holes
Posted by: 65hbcorsa ()
Date: February 12, 2021 03:19PM

The body work on my corsa was already redone when I bought it and when the previous owner had replaced some body panels they didn’t make new holes for the emblems the sit in front of the rear wheels. I have the emblems and would like to install them without damaging the paint.
How do I go about this? What process have you guys used. I’ve heard of using masking tape, an awl and some rtv to help seal the hole but any specifics you guys have used?

——————————————————————————————————————
Ryan Craig
Huntington Beach, CA

1965 Corsa Convertible, 140hp, 4 speed

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Creating new emblem holes
Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: February 12, 2021 03:29PM

The assembly manual and / or the Body Service manual should have diagrams of the correct position.

You can use a center punch to position the drill bit.

The emblem uses speed nuts to attach to the body, so you need to remove the interior rear quarter panel.

I use a small amount or strip caulk on the speed nut to seal the hole.

Date: February 12, 2021 05:00PM

Another way - to keep from chipping - is if there is bondo in the area:

Use a real small drill bit to drill first hole. Then, use a couple larger bits until you get to the correct diameter hole.

Posted by: pvholgado ()
Date: February 13, 2021 06:06AM

Why make new holes- Grind off the tangs and put 3M trim tape on the back- stick em on just like modern cars - No holes no chance of chipped paint, water intrusion or rust- just my .02 cents.

"A sign of great intelligence is being able to say 'I don't know'"
1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe
Located 25 miles East of Rochester, NY

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: February 13, 2021 06:52AM

Great idea Phil!!!

If you drill holes put masking tape there.

Use pin insert clips rather than speed nuts.

Then there's no need to remove interior parts

I cant remember the correct name for the clips.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: February 13, 2021 07:18AM

California and Michigan cars had that piece located in different places.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: February 13, 2021 08:33AM

Yes to start small and work up in bit size.

Yes to sticking them on with emblem double sided tape. I used 3M emblem and molding tape. You need the type that is tape with thickness, not the "adhesive only" thin type that goes on removed emblems with the tape still in place. And you need to see if the hollow of the backside of the emblem will let it work, might need two layers.

Yes to paint the hole after it is drilled.

Yes to putting a sealer on the pins while inserting them into the hole. And sealer on the backside before the nut goes on.

Yes only to using the barrel clips on emblems that had them originally, unless you can find an exact one to fit your emblem studs. Use vernier calipers to compare stud diameters. And make sure there is a hollow (relief area) to let the emblem sit flush on top of the exposed barrel clip. Some barrel clips come with sealer on them (some OEM GM).

Bottom line, leave NO exposed bare metal before installing the emblem.smileys with beer

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: February 13, 2021 09:14AM

Frank DuVal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Yes only to using the barrel clips on emblems that had them originally, unless you can find an exact one to fit your emblem studs. Use vernier calipers to compare stud diameters. And make sure there is a hollow (relief area) to let the emblem sit flush on top of the exposed barrel clip. Some barrel clips come with sealer on them (some OEM GM).
>

x2 for Corsa "C"'s - particularly the recess on the backside of the emblem.

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: February 13, 2021 12:45PM

pvholgado Wrote:
> Why make new holes- Grind off the tangs and put 3M trim tape on the back- stick em on just like modern cars - No holes no chance of chipped paint, water intrusion or rust- just my .02 cents.

This does not work very well for Corsa badges. They are cast and therefore fairly heavy. They are also not flat on the back meaning that the double stick tape has nothing to adhere to well. New emblem may not exactly match the body contour either which also presents a problem. I am afraid the only way to really mount these so they stay put is drilling the holes and mounting them like factory or with push in metal barrel clips

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: pvholgado ()
Date: February 13, 2021 12:54PM

TerribleTed Wrote:
> pvholgado Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > Why make new holes- Grind off the tangs and put 3M trim tape on the back- stick em on just like modern cars - No holes no chance of chipped paint, water intrusion or rust- just my .02 cents.
>
>
> This does not work very well for Corsa badges. They are cast and therefore fairly heavy. They are also not flat on the back meaning that the double stick tape has nothing to adhere to well. New emblem may not exactly match the body contour either which also presents a problem. I am afraid the only way to really mount these so they stay put is drilling the holes and mounting them like factory or with push in metal barrel clips

I guess I'll find out- mine are all mounted with 3M trim tape.

"A sign of great intelligence is being able to say 'I don't know'"
1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe
Located 25 miles East of Rochester, NY

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: February 13, 2021 03:53PM

I installed mine by measuring the emblem studs and then drilling. Unfortunately, I forgot to take the curvature of the car into account, and the top stud was not spaced properly. I could insert the middle and bottom, but the top was just baaaaarely off.

A good mallet took care of that. And the emblem is for sure not going anywhere.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota, by way of Porterville, California
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Posted by: truckin-on ()
Date: February 18, 2021 02:33PM

jjohnsonjo Wrote:
> California and Michigan cars had that piece located in different places.

Can you say more about this? I've never heard that they were different, but now I'll have to go check my LA-built '66 against my WRN-built 65...

Posted by: Noel Felty ()
Date: February 19, 2021 06:49AM

Do you know if the entire metal for quarter panel was replaced? If they weren’t and the holes were just filled or skimmed over, you can find them from inside by removing rear panels with window up. Will need a cut down or shorter drill bit as it is tight.

Noel Felty
Brevard, NC
1966 Corsa 140 Before

1966 Corsa After

1972 Ford f100

Corsa SC
NC Mountain Corvairs

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.