Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Alright im sold i want a lm Corvair
Posted by: MidEngineMongrel ()
Date: February 12, 2021 02:44PM

Okay so posted recently about the few cars ive been wanting and i think i really want a LM Corvair 4 door. You guys were really helpful in helping me understand a few things in the last post (just need an update if AI Lanes wife has a sister) Just had a few questions to possibly modernize it and possibly, dare i say, make it a daily.

1) Is there a 5 speed conversion thats possible?
2) you guys mentioned quick steering box's are rare, so im guessing theres no where to just buy one from?
3) i hear these older cars sag in the middle, is there a kit for undercarriage bracing? Or a simple solution for this?
4) i once heard a corvair in my grocery store parking lot and the thing was loud. Was it just badly tuned or is there a way to quiet the "beast" (or Chihuahua)? Was thinking about just adding a bunch of modern sound deadening around the engine bay.
5) how often do you adjust the carbs/valves? Im an ex mechanic and went to school but im kind of young and they didnt go over carberators too much. Just a lot of efi.
6) any major issues to be aware of? Heard in the last post a valve my come loose but deep seating would solve that. Anything else to be aware of?
7) Can it maintain 80mph fairly easily? Hills? For me i would think 100-140hp would be fine for me but didnt realize the 4 speed made the 0-60 more like 10 seconds rather than 8 ish
-Sean

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alright im sold i want a lm Corvair
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: February 12, 2021 03:07PM

1) There were a few 5 speed kits made years ago. I'm not sure if you could find one.
Matt showed how to use a Subaru 5-speed but never actually installed it.
2) $1300 will usually buy a QS box. Try Matt's QS arms first and see how you like it.
3) Not unless they are complete rust buckets and then it is usually just the convertibles.
4) Loud externally? Not really but that is subjective.
5) Never adjust the valves unless you have changed something. Carburetors are another story. It will take some practice to get good at them and keep it running right. Buy Bob's book from Seth Emerson.
6) Learn about GL4 vs GL5 gear lube and make sure you know how to check and fill it. GL4 only in manual transmission cars. Less air in the front tires than rear. General rule is 10 psi less in the front but I do around 6psi on LMs. De-flash the heads and keep the oil cooler clean. Don't let the heater ducts drag on the driveshafts. Check the HRPT to make sure it doesn't fail on you.
7) Yes

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 141 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: February 12, 2021 03:35PM

What Joel said! thumbs up
There is ZERO problem with using a Corvair as a daily driver.
Many of us do.
That is exactly what GM, designed, and built them for!

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: February 12, 2021 03:41PM

Sorry, Mongrel. Donna has no sister's. She is one of a kind. Good luck finding a facsimile.

Al
Georgia

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: February 12, 2021 04:17PM

Not sure of your location but the LM 4 door is not the easiest to find. (Be sure to look at Al's 4 door- he has already done a lot of the needed items over the years). As far as the HRPT (?), most of us would not consider a 10 minute replacement item of a $10 part a major affair. No need for a 5 speed. I prefer my LM (66-69) 3 speed.

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: February 12, 2021 04:34PM

No HRPT on my More Door Vair. Has a different configuration to join the 3 red power wires.

Al
Georgia

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: February 12, 2021 05:17PM

Where are you?

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: February 12, 2021 05:22PM

Mongrel - The only Corvairs I've seen that "sag in the middle" were rust bucket convertibles. The four door body is stout by 60's standards.

Forget the five speed overdrive. The Corvair engine was designed in the late 50's so it doesn't have things like piston wrist pin oil squirters and other things needed for low RPM/high load conditions. The Corvair engine will run all day up to 4,000 RPM without issue. I have a 3.27 ring gear and with that you can cruise at 80 MPH at about 3,700 RPM with the correct tire size.

Yes the engine compartment/engine lid insulation does make a difference. Clark's sells new repro.

As with most GM engines of the era you set the valve adjustments and never bother with it again.

Engien oil leak issues can be fixed.

The 110HP engine is a GREAT daily driver engine if you don't mind using premium fuel. Well matched to the car's weight and low maintenance (once set up properly) in my opinion.

Since my 4 door is just for pleasure driving I like the 140HP engine, but the 110HP engine carburetion is lower maintenance.

The Corvair is one of those cars that handles AND rides well. You can play with tires and shocks, but there is really no need to do anything else for a street car. The original rear springs are usually collapsed, while the front springs are fine. I didn't change the front springs and put in higher tension new rear springs used on the convertible model. Car sits level and is well balanced in the curves.

I run 14" rims with 205/70X14 up front and 235/60X14 rear. Extra rear tire for a rear weight biased car works well.

The late 65 and 66 models used a two piece steering column that IS safer in a severe front end crash. The early 65 cars had a SOLID steering shaft from the box (in front the suspension) to the steering wheel. I won't even drive an early 65 - just me.

Oh Clark's makes all the interior upholstery pieces if needed. They are a quality product.

Good luck

Posted by: MidEngineMongrel ()
Date: February 12, 2021 05:26PM

Why does AI Lane have everything i need?

Hey those helped a lot thanks! Way less concerns than i even thought.

Im in Lis Angeles

Date: February 12, 2021 05:31PM

Mongrel - Yes the Corvair steering is slow by today's standards but you get used to it. Just me but for street use I rather have slow steering and lower effort.

The factory quick box and arms were fast and great for autocross, but a few I've talked to with the set up claim the car is "twitchy" at 60-80MPH. One fellow put big tires up front and ran over all the cones at the local autocross. As he put it - the effort was so high he could not turn the wheel fast enough.

Seth Emerson says just the arms, or just the box is a good compromise for a street and occasional track car.

If you've never driven a car without rack and pinion steering you will notice the Corvair steering is not as precise on center. I'm old and ALL the old manual steering box cars were like that - you get used to it. Just part of the old car charm that makes the car interesting.

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: February 12, 2021 06:04PM

MidEngineMongrel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why does AI Lane have everything i need?
>
> Hey those helped a lot thanks! Way less concerns than i even thought.
>
> Im in Lis Angeles

Clark's Corvair Parts Corvair.com is the largest Corvair parts vendor they will have most everything available new that you can find (or can not find elsewhere).I suggest ordering Clark's paper catalog as it is much easier to use than their online presence

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Date: February 12, 2021 06:38PM

Mongrel - I sent you a PM with info.

Posted by: corsa1 ()
Date: February 13, 2021 05:25AM

I have a low mileage late model 4 door for sale

EMAIL corsadon1@gmail.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2021 09:20PM by MattNall.

Date: February 13, 2021 11:19AM

Mongrel - I replied to your PM - check for my response

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: February 13, 2021 11:58AM

This is all great info for *ME*.

The only thing I would add, is that while Clark's is top notch, out in LA you have some great in-person resources like California Corvairs and Mike's Corvair Parts. In fact, you can feel as safe driving out there as if you owned a Subaru, in terms of finding help and resources you need. Look up South Coast Corsa, West Coast Corsa, Vintage Corsa, and the San Joaquin Corvair Club. All great clubs with great people.

Eric C. Player
Fargo, North Dakota
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and Great Plains Corvair Club.
THEN: 1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow - 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red - 1966 Monza 110, Purple - 1967 Monza 140, Red - 1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow" - 1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"
---------------------------------------
"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: February 13, 2021 02:22PM

Corsa West is the San Fernando Valley chapter.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.