Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
good AM/FM Radio for LM corvair
Posted by: zimby2@gmail.com ()
Date: February 10, 2021 07:42AM

I recently bought and installed a RetroSound Radio ( Laguna M1A ) in my 66 coupe. Very reasonably priced on amazon. For my application I ordered the bezel and knobs they offer with it at no additional cost. With a little filing it fit the stock face plate. It has shafts that are adjustable both side to side and fore and aft which was really needed in this case. It is reasonably powerful. Bluetooth able and has cable to attach MP3 players. I put a pair of 6 X 9 JBL speakers in wedge shaped boxes and placed them on the rear package tray. Even with my not stock and pretty loud exhaust it sounds really good.

The radio itself is about 1/3 the size of the original monster so there's plenty of room for it. You can connect 4 speakers ( you could connect stock oval in dash if you wanted to.) Both the plastic bezel and faceplate opening require a little filing. If I were doing the install again I would try to mount the unit at a slight downward angle to fit the stock faceplate even better. To do that I believe you could just bend the stock shaft location ( tabs ) slightly forward.

Looks pretty stock-affordable-sounds great.

Rick Zimbelman

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: good AM/FM Radio for LM corvair
Posted by: persh ()
Date: February 10, 2021 08:49AM

Which of the Laguna M1A models did you buy. I looked the one that is supposed to fit the Firebirds and Camaros and it looks like it would work.

Date: February 10, 2021 09:46AM

The invoice says LAC-M1A unadorned. The plastic bezel note says 69 camaro 70-72 chevelle style. The moveable shafts and small body make it about as versatile as you could.

Date: February 10, 2021 10:42AM

Is this the one??

Posted by: jb_supermoto ()
Date: February 10, 2021 02:53PM

Can you post a picture or two? And the exact model that you bought? There must be a dozen different models that all look like they could work. Thank you!

Jan Bradley
President
Circle City Corvairs
1966 Corsa 140
1960 700 Sedan 80/PG

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: February 10, 2021 10:19PM

I have a Retrosound HI-304-68-78 Car Radio that I bought on Amazon. It has beige knobs, which I wanted to go with my dash. Honestly, I think the only difference between the various models is the face.

I bought a RetroSound D-412 4" x 10" Replacement Dash Speaker along with it. It goes in the spot up and under the dash where the single AM/FM speaker used to be, but it takes both left and right inputs. Then I have a couple of 4x9s during the back. I like the way I can fade to the front if I'm listening to talk radio, and to the back for music.

For looks, I use a stock Corvair face plate. But since that plate has a wider hole than the Retrosound, I made a little washer around the radio to fill it in. It's just some printer paper spray painted to match, but it looks great.

Eric C. Player
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club.
RESIDENT: Porterville, California and Fargo, North Dakota
THEN:
1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow
1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW:
1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Attachments:
Date: February 13, 2021 08:20AM

The LAC-M1A model that Rick Z used has a face dimension of 3-1/2" wide and 1-1/2" tall. The opening the stock Corvair face plate is 4-3/8" wide and about 1-1/2" tall. So I am curious if Rick did anything to mask the extra space. You can see that blue space between the radio face and the knobs in the photo of Eric's Corsa in the above photo. I was hoping to avoid that.

As a side note, it looks like all of the M1A models are all exactly the same and when your order one for a specific vehicle you get a face plate specific for that vehicle. For example, Rick mentioned that the M1A he bought was for a '69 Camaro and '70-'72 Chevelle. That turns out to be model number LAC-M1A-120-03P-73P.

Date: February 14, 2021 09:08AM

sorry for delay. Dealing with broken 54 ford f100..

The unit I bought requires the black plastic bezel and knobs that they offer at no additional charge. The black plastic bezel makes it fit ALMOST perfectly. I had to file the face plate opening just a bit and take a half round file to file the back of the bezel where it contacts the shaft circles on the faceplate. You have to use the new knobs. The old ones will not work.

I'll try to post a photo of finished install later today.

Posted by: matchlessmo ()
Date: February 14, 2021 11:29AM

I just got my stock AM modified with all the features of 2016, the cost was worth it to me....

[www.youtube.com]

. .

Date: February 15, 2021 07:53AM

Thanks for the update. Rick. I'm anxious to see the photo!!

Date: February 15, 2021 09:14AM

The tiny gap at the top of the bezel/ faceplate could be eliminated by just SLIGHTLY bending the "tabs" where the shaft holes are in the dash. Then it would be near perfect. I believe they also have options to replace or cover the LCD display with a dial display that looks more original. I like the LCD.

Attachments:
Date: February 15, 2021 09:23AM

TSK. TSK. now that I see my picture I see the face plate is just slightly crooked. Sloppy work on my part. Easy to fix. I'm still learning corvairs. This is a good sound system. I think the whole thing set me back about 260 bucks. I have spent WAY more on car audio in the past and got much less.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: February 15, 2021 01:45PM

matchlessmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just got my stock AM modified with all the features of 2016, the cost was worth it to me....
>
> [www.youtube.com]

So what does one of these modern day marvels cost?

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: matchlessmo ()
Date: February 16, 2021 05:23AM

In 2016 mine cost 450.

. .

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: February 16, 2021 05:14PM

Did yours come with the masking around the radio? I had to make my own.

Date: February 17, 2021 07:41AM

I ordered the free bezel and knobs they offer when you buy the unit. The black bezel is what fills the gap between the face plate and radio.

Date: February 17, 2021 02:56PM

Thanks for the photo, Rick. That looks plenty nice. I'm going to order one for my daughter turbo Corsa for her birthday. It will replace the junky Classic Car Stereos unit we put in it back in 2013. With a little luck they've improved their quality but I'm not ready to give them another chance.

Date: February 20, 2021 05:28PM

Per Rick's "advice" I purchased a RetroSound Radio Model M1A-120-13P-73P which is listed for '69 Camaro and '70-'72 Chevelle. It turns out that all M1A units are the same and they add the packets of parts for the Camaro/Chevelle. One packet is labeled 120 (face plate), one is labeled 03P (radio knobs, and one is labeled 73P (inner knobs). Hence the long part number. The face plate is the same basic size as the hole in the Corvair radio bezel. It took a very little filing to let the face plate slide in. I had to notch out some of the back of the face plate so it would miss the recesses on the Corvair bezel. To make the radio shafts line up with swap the bracket marked L to the right side and the one marked R to the left side. There's a lot of tinkering to get everything lined up but nothing at all technical.

All in all I'm pleased with the way it looks. Now, if it plays music as well as it looks I'll be a happy camper.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.