Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Question for you pro painters
Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: January 31, 2021 02:43PM

If you take a color sample to the paint store be scanned because you have no color code (or its faded, a custom mix, just unknown) does their program give them a custom formula to produce that color, or does it cross-match the data to an existing color formula that might match your color?

Dan Brizendine, Circle City Corvairs
'64 8 door Greenbrier, +.060, stroked 186 ci.140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question for you pro painters
Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: January 31, 2021 03:35PM

Not a professional:

Any paint shop should be able to match (maybe? see below) / create the original formula. The original formulas are available.

The problem is will it actually exactly match the color?

In my limited experience, the answer is no. One variable may be how it is applied / sprayed?

Had a car sprayed 65 Mist Blue in the 70's (acrylic lacquer). Did not match the original color (too much silver?); the metal interior panels were repainted. Also, was at a car show (late 70's / early 80's) with two other freshly sprayed 65 Mist Blue Corvairs - none matched - not even close.

More recently - 65 Corvair repainted 65 Glacier Grey: modern paint - not an exact match, either - too much silver? (again?).

No real clue to the variables other than who mixed the paint and who sprayed the paint.

Posted by: 72BBNova ()
Date: January 31, 2021 04:05PM

When I had some mixed I took them the gas door and they scanned it. It came up a custom mix. I knew the code. They did a spray out card and we tweaked it from there. I think they did 3 spray out cards before we got it to match.

Jeff
1964 Spyder Coupe
1972 Nova 496/6spd
1975 Chevy C20 Camper Special

Posted by: AZ Troy ()
Date: January 31, 2021 05:27PM

Many things can effect the color tone when painting. Often you will see a car at a show & the door doesn't match the fender or quarter. Most likely the car was painted in pieces on different days, with the same paint.

Tone or shade will be different with different gun distances, air pressure, reducer percentage, humidity, # of coats or percent of overlap and sealer color.

If you have paint matched & your spray-out isn't a match, it may not be the fault of the paint store.

Troy G. / Scottsdale Arizona

'65 140 Corsa Coupe
'66 180 Corsa Coupe - Crown Converted in the '60's

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2021 05:27PM by AZ Troy.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: January 31, 2021 08:25PM

Brizo
give them a custom formula to produce that color, or does it cross-match the data to an existing color formula that might match your color?

It gives a mix to match your sample. It does not look for a match by year, make, etc., etc. It should make a sprayable match to your sample.

You can do that with color chips for the vehicle in question, but it might not match your sample, just be close.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: January 31, 2021 08:56PM

I agree to take a sample like the gas door as mentioned. Paint formula's have changed many times over recent years. A good auto paint supplier should be able to mix a close match after several spray out samples. It's not a cheap process, so be ready to make the investment to get it right.

Corventure Dave

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: January 31, 2021 11:07PM

The machine give an approximate formula that should be close to your sample. Sometimes this mix is pretty close, other times it is not very close. a good paint mix technician can take the results from the scan and then tint the resulting color to very closely match your sample. The only way to get really close is to have at technician who can do this spend the time to do so. Test clear
coated spray outs of the color are usually necessary to ensure a really good match.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: PGVair ()
Date: February 01, 2021 04:49AM

I'm not a pro, but have had some custom mixed paint made in the past.

What I was told since the Corvair original formulas were for lacquer, which they no longer have, the color might not be a perfect match for this reason, as well as the other reasons listed above.

In one for me case they came up with an enamel formula for a newer car that was a good match without tweaking.

Wade

Re: Question for you pro painters... Follow-up bump
Date: February 19, 2021 09:49PM

I had my paint scanned and mixed at two different stores but neither matched. Both said they "dont do spray-outs". The second guy took his time and seemed intent but told me the computer would only give him a formula for a Ford color that "should match". It looked good in the can but after sprayed, I realized the metal particles were to big. Outdoors in full light it looks good from one angle, but then move 10 feet the other way and it changes. Does anyone have an old partial can of 1964 Saddle Tan poly, code 932, they would sell? if so, PM me please.

'64 8 door Greenbrier, +.060, stroked 186 ci.140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2021 09:51PM by Brizo.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 19, 2021 10:46PM

My '67 is painted "Saddle Tan Poly" to match, by my pics and memory of my '63 Vette.

They mixed at the store...My painter sprayed and cleared it...3 tries to get it right.

Only the Yanko SALE Panels look different...... no "Sealer" was sprayed on them..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2021 10:48PM by MattNall.

Attachments:
Posted by: ken ()
Date: February 20, 2021 04:55AM

There are many variables to paint color. Color of the primer used will give different colors .Some years back a paint store had a display of what affects color . The display showed a sample of 5 different colors of blue that all came out of the same can . Temperature , humidity, spray pattern, painter etc. One of my first jobs I did for a friend and came out terrible . It was a 68 Camaro with metallic bronze that they used one year on Camaros and Vettes. I sprayed all the parts individually and nothing matched. Learned from that . Have you noticed that many cars with plastic bumpers that the METALLIC color of the body and the color of bumpers is different ? That's because the steel mas magnetism and the plastic has none .

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: February 20, 2021 09:18AM

Some good comments here.

Even in the "good ol days" after a couple years in the sun getting a match, even in the original paint type, to original paint color was difficult.

I've had pretty good luck getting base coat/clear coat paint to represent the original color via the forumlas, but I doubt it would match exactly to original paint. Note the base coat changes after you clear coat it, so samples must be clear coated to determine a good match. I do not recommend single coat urethane paints with a metallic color. They are like the old enamel metallic paints - metallic sinks in the color coat. That's why the old acrylic lacquer paint was used for metallic colors - fast dry and thin coats make the metallic more prominent. Same effect with solvent base coats.

Get a sample, some shops do a good job of matching the 60's metallic particle size - other DO NOT!

Date: February 21, 2021 06:52PM

66vairman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some good comments here.
>
> Even in the "good ol days" after a couple years in the sun getting a match, even in the original paint type, to original paint color was difficult.
>
> I've had pretty good luck getting base coat/clear coat paint to represent the original color via the forumlas, but I doubt it would match exactly to original paint. Note the base coat changes after you clear coat it, so samples must be clear coated to determine a good match. I do not recommend single coat urethane paints with a metallic color. They are like the old enamel metallic paints - metallic sinks in the color coat. That's why the old acrylic lacquer paint was used for metallic colors - fast dry and thin coats make the metallic more prominent. Same effect with solvent base coats.
>
> Get a sample, some shops do a good job of matching the 60's metallic particle size - other DO NOT!

Well, the stores around here DO NOT! A couple years ago another paint store guy told me the paint companies had been "consolidating formulas" - grouping several formulas that are very close together under one number number, so, maybe your color would match perfect - or maybe not. It was giving him a lot of trouble. I'm not sure why, but that store is gone now.

I've lost enough money on this project already, and I only need to paint a square foot and a half. That's why I was hoping someone here would PM me if they had a can with just an inch or so of code 932 Saddle Tan Poly left over They would be willing to sell. ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2021 06:53PM by Brizo.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.