Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Sources for 80-horse rebuild parts
Posted by: FoiledAgain ()
Date: January 11, 2021 11:04AM

Lifters, main and rod bearings, rings, valves and so forth. Saw some hair-raising prices on main and rod bearings on EBay hence the info request.
This '60 engine has good OP and compression but a fair amount of blow-by so this winter seems a good time to disassemble and evaluate.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sources for 80-horse rebuild parts
Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: January 11, 2021 11:09AM

A set of main and rod bearings are going to set you back about $170... That is that hair raising? Not sure what hair raising is (not trying to be a smart @$$).

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block (Sold)
86' BMW 325es
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo
67' UltraVan 211 "Violet"
NFCC, UMCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: January 11, 2021 12:04PM

I've scanned Ebay Corvair Rod/Main bearings for years. It seems like the same expensive bearings are never selling. What I found helpful was to know the bearing numbers of the individual manufacturers. Then do a Ebay search on those numbers. Often a seller will get a boatload of parts, not want to be bothered with the application and sell the bearings simply by the part number. So, if you looked under "Corvair Bearings" you would never find them. I found a set of .010 Federal Mogul rod bearings for $60. But honestly in the 3+ years I've been looking that is the best and only decent price I've found and they are not that much cheaper than the Clark's bearings.

BTW, I find "old" car bearings to be all over the map. I have a Rambler American with an ancient inline 6 (OHV). Typically I would find similar bearing prices ($80-$200+) to what you found for Corvairs on Ebay. Yet using the "part number" process I got a set of rod bearings for $9.99 and Mains for $19.99. The irony is some obscure engine bearings sell real cheap..., and others they want a fortune. Probably just two different philosophy's on selling low demand parts. One seller thinks they are rare and another seller wonders if he will ever find a buyer. So, if money IS an issue be patient.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2021 12:09PM by wittsend.

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: January 11, 2021 03:36PM

FoiledAgain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lifters, main and rod bearings, rings, valves and so forth. Saw some hair-raising prices on main and rod bearings on EBay hence the info request.
> This '60 engine has good OP and compression but a fair amount of blow-by so this winter seems a good time to disassemble and evaluate.
>
> Thanks.

Simple answer is Clark's Corvair Parts.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: nirvairna ()
Date: January 12, 2021 04:59AM

FoiledAgain said: This '60 engine has good OP and compression but a fair amount of blow-by...

well, with good oil pressure you may not need main or rod bearings. I would do a leak down test to determine the source of the blowby and proceed from there. You might just need rings and/or some head work.

I think too many Corvair engines are needlessly torn down and then they never get put back together.

just my 22 cents - got my stimulus check y'know grinning smiley

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: January 12, 2021 05:28AM

BTW my Turbo engine used .002 bearings from new. Clarks had the Clevitte 77 for a great price. I see there are still some under size at reduced prices if any of those sizes are good for you.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: January 12, 2021 05:36AM

If you're keeping the same cam your original Corvair lifters may be superior to what you typically find these days, usually just Small Block Chevy.
Generally speaking the rod bearings have a tougher go than main bearings so if the crankshaft rod journals look okay you might consider stopping there.
A 60 cam has an easy life comparatively speaking. Not much spring pressure and lobes not very aggressive.
You might consider more of a valve spring.
I too might consider the old "rings and a valve job" with a 80 HP. You can fish the lifters out of the case for a look at the faces but be sure to keep them in their original location.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: January 12, 2021 09:06AM

Thanks, guys. I'm all in favor of fixing what needs fixing as opposed to rebuilding everything. Case in point is the the 40-horse in the '61 Beetle, original to the car, which needed only a hone, rings and exhaust valves, and is over 90,000 miles. The old rod bearings looked fine but replaced them as NOS VW rod shells are quite inexpensive.

Did not feel it necessary to split the case as the OP, never very high in 1200s, was adequate. Runs like a top. Valve clearances are always spot-on.

On the other hand, the Rocket engine in the '55 Olds was ailing, so had the heads rebuilt w/ some porting and while they were at the machinist's checked the bores and despite the 180,000 miles on the engine found essentially zero taper and wear within spec [Olds was famous at the time for high nickel content in their block castings] so honed them and was well into cleaning the original Alcoa pistons, which showed minimal wear on the lands and thrust surfaces- and found 4 of them were cracked. You had to look really close, like magnifying-glass close, to spot the hairline cracks. Very sad. 8 new STD Rocket pistons were not cheap. That motor still runs its original crank bearings and cam. The old rod bearings looked like they'd been installed the week before. Box-stock apart from the heads.

Completely different story with the FE 390 in the '64 Galaxie- everything inside needed replacement apart from the crank. Swear Ford made all its parts from Gruyere cheese in those days. Keeping it stock went right out the window. FE parts are not costly- all things being equal, on a par with NOS VW parts.

So, I'm taking a keep-him-stock tack towards the Corvair engine, which, from what I've soaked up here, is kind of similar to the VW 1200 in that it's small but pretty tough. I'm expecting worn guides and tuckered-out springs and probably seat issues as well. The condition of the lifters will probably factor into whether the case gets split- if the faces are cashed I'd expect the cam is too. I try to read carefully about these motors as I do not have a background in them. I think I know a little bit but old enough to know what I don't know is crucial.

Appreciate the advice w/r/t parts. Not buying anything until I've inspected everything. Definitely a high-level tightwad but if something needs replacement I will buy the best I can, and cry once.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 12, 2021 10:51AM

If it runs decent and you have 20+oil press.

Lap the valves, ball hone the cylinders and re- ring with cast iron rings..

Only the 164[64-9] CI pistons have cracking problems.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: January 12, 2021 12:03PM

Only the 164[64-9] CI pistons have cracking problems.

Music to my ears...got enough ashtrays.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 12, 2021 12:42PM

Note Valstem seals on INTAKES ONLY [ good idea to change while lapping]

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: GJ1963 ()
Date: January 12, 2021 04:57PM

You're no novice to engines so you have a good idea of what to expect.

If it hasn't been messed with before you are in luck.

'60 can be bored to 61-3 standard if you need.

Yours likely has the early main bearings still that can cause a soft thump at idle. So that is a reason to change the bearings if they are bad. I think your car is standard though and it less apparent in standard vs. auto.

Tear into it and see what you have. You might get away with rings and seals.

Good luck!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.