Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
WTB Complete 1966 Corsa Rear Grille or Just INSERT
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: January 10, 2021 05:55AM

Hey all.

Like it says, I'm looking for a 1966 rear grille with the Corsa chrome. I have a 66 grille on the back currently, but with no chrome on it, so I would consider getting just the chrome itself if it is in show-off to show condition.

This is for the car while it is still in California, so the part can be delivered/sent to Porterville or Atascadero.

Cheers,

Eric C. Player, Fargo, ND, USA
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club. Those may change. winking smiley
THEN:
1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow
1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW:
1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2021 12:44PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WTB Complete 1966 Corsa Rear Grille or Just Intact Chrome
Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: January 10, 2021 06:09AM

[corvaircenter.com]

A couple month's ago junkman had a NOS one available for $400.00 and had a lower offer as of November 2 2020 but has not indicated that it has been sold yet.

There is a chance that it might still be available.confused smiley

1962 95 F.C. Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: January 10, 2021 06:30AM

I still have it. The person that made an offer backed out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: January 10, 2021 11:15AM

The 66 Corsa aluminum "grill" has no grill / lattice - like the 65 pieces.

Only difference in 66 Corsa rear grill would holes to attach the aluminum trim.

Date: January 10, 2021 01:57PM

Robert,

Thanks for the tip. My last car was a 65 so I've never seen a 66 Grille with the aluminum on it up close. My grille isn't bad, so maybe all I need to be concerned with is the aluminum pieces?

Junkman. I'll take a look and let you know. Would you be willing to sell just the aluminum?

MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club. Those may change. winking smiley
THEN:
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
NOW:

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."

Date: January 10, 2021 02:09PM

I don't have any of the steel grilles, just the aluminum insert. If yours is damaged, any competent body shop should be able to straighten it, unless it is mangled beyond repair. Should also be a lot of used ones out there looking for a home. They rarely ever rusted out, until Viton "O" rings came about. They were always bathed in motor oil.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: January 10, 2021 05:49PM

I'm not being very clear, but I have a grill. Silly me I was thinking the aluminum insert was fused to it or something.

I found the grille insert page on Clark's; the new (NOS, based on the page) ones go for $235, and used ones are $188. The repros re-direct to the same parts and page. Of course, they are out of stock.

Clark's Catalog Page NOS-55

I also found these two forum threads, one that I contributed to in 2011!

66 Corsa Rear Grille
66-69 Monza Rear Grill Pics Needed

Based on all the info, I believe my most economical option will be to paint or chrome the grill--something I hadn't thought of, but was apparently factory stock at one point. I could paint it and then get an aluminum grill insert down the road, I guess. They seem to be rarer than I thought.

Thanks everyone who has posted so far!

THEN:
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
NOW:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2021 05:58PM by playerpage.

Date: January 10, 2021 08:49PM

Have you priced chroming recently? I have, just this past week. A steel curtain rod, 5/8" wide x 1/8" thick x 36" long was $100. My ambulance has 10 curtain rods, and the 36" ones are the shortest. I don't know what has happened to the chroming market, but recently the prices have skyrocketed so much that imported bumpers are a bargain.

Date: January 10, 2021 09:17PM

Painting it is!

Posted by: RThompson ()
Date: January 11, 2021 06:57AM

Thats terrible!

Hey, Paul, have you thought any about what metallic based powders are available in power coating? There are some I have seen that really close to the look of chrome that is certainly more affordable than this re-chroming prices.

Just a thought!

Rich

junkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have you priced chroming recently? I have, just this past week. A steel curtain rod, 5/8" wide x 1/8" thick x 36" long was $100. My ambulance has 10 curtain rods, and the 36" ones are the shortest. I don't know what has happened to the chroming market, but recently the prices have skyrocketed so much that imported bumpers are a bargain.

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: January 11, 2021 07:09AM

junkman Wrote:
I don't know what has happened to the chroming market, but recently the prices have skyrocketed.

I'm not sure on my spelling but I believe it starts E.P.A.

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: January 11, 2021 09:23AM

Wagon Master Wrote:
>
> I'm not sure on my spelling but I believe it starts E.P.A.

Doubtful since the EPA regulations have been in effect for decades - and they have been "loosened" by the current administration.

The price of household batteries seemed to have increased in the past couple years.

A shortage(?) / price inflation of certain materials seems to be occurring.

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: January 11, 2021 10:26AM

I have an NOS insert for my red '66 Corsa but I also tried the "chrome" route on my other '66. I am really pleased with the chrome look!

Backstory, many years ago a car floated through my shop the the owner hated the look of the ALL chrome" rear grille. So did I. At his request, I changed it out for a painted one and he let me keep the "all chrome" grille.

When I painted my '66 I had the painter mask-off the central, open-grille area and paint the surrounding area. I think it looks great; a subtle custom touch.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2021 10:27AM by cnicol.

Attachments:
Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: January 11, 2021 12:52PM

That does look very nice Craig. I like it.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: January 11, 2021 01:18PM

Wagon Master Wrote:
> junkman Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> I don't know what has happened to the chroming market, but recently the prices have skyrocketed.
>
> I'm not sure on my spelling but I believe it starts E.P.A.

Robert C is correct - regulation have been around for decades and keep the plating tank toxic waste out of our kids drinking water!!!

The biggest cost increase is paying to dispose of the toxic stuff from the plating tanks. At one time it was trucked south of the border and unscrupulous folks would dump it down there. That's mostly stopped now. Legitimate disposal is expensive.

Low chrome plating (on metal) demand has resulted in fewer shops and little pricing competition.

Date: January 11, 2021 09:06PM

I have seen some pretty impressive "chrome-like" paints.

THEN:
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
NOW:

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: January 11, 2021 09:52PM

playerpage Wrote:
> I have seen some pretty impressive "chrome-like" paints.

Geeze I haven'tsad smiley I have seen plenty of ads and pictures that look good for Chrome paints, but, have not found any that look very good in person.

I tried Alsa's expensive 3 stage chrome paint system. It was the closest to chrome looking that I have seen, but their (choke) most affordable option for purchase was $250 for some lousy spray cans that could not apply the material well to anything that was not quite small (they spit and sprayed unevenly). Might be a pretty good option if one wanted to spend $1000 for quarts of material to use in a spray gun. Even the best result I got with this on small samples did not really look quite like chrome but was reflective enough to show some reflected detail of objects in the foreground.

I also tried 5 other more common chrome spray can paints from rustoleum, plasticoat, duplicolor and 2 others. The best of these were slightly reflective and pretty bright, but lost a lot of reflectivity if clear coated and if not clearcoated had no resistance to marring of the surface. Touch them and the chromish look goes away. At best anything I have tried ends up being bright silver paint.

In a nutshell if you want chrome you need chrome plating.

By the way the Corsa grille inserts are NOT chrome. They are bright anodized aluminum just like Corvair headlamp bezels, rocker trim, and wheel opening moldings. I have not found a way to duplicate this type finish in paint either, but, the chromier spray paints are close to this look thane they are to actual chrome.

By the way I have a very nice used 66 grille insert I would part with for $100 plus the ride.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2021 09:53PM by TerribleTed.

Posted by: aircooledairhead ()
Date: January 12, 2021 11:51AM

I painted a 66 Corsa grille with Duplicolor black and chrome. The chrome paint looked almost like the shiny aluminum trim until I clear coated it. Then it looked more like silver paint. The grille area was wet sanded with 600 then 1000 grit.

The attached photos show the grille before the clear and when complete. The black paint blushed in the heat and humidity (top photo) and had to be redone after another round of wet sanding, masking, etc.

If you go this route, be careful to mask the back side of the grille area, as paint aerosol will drift through it and up onto the surrounding paint.

Fred Gillam, southern SC coast
Former Corvairs from teens and 20's.
3 65 Corsa 180 convertibles
63 Spyder
66 Monza 110 PG, "Moldo"
65 Corsa 140
Currently helping son with 65 Monza 140 4-spd coupe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2021 11:54AM by aircooledairhead.

Attachments:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.