Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: O/T 73 Vega Yanko Stinger tribute
Posted by: Spyderman64 ()
Date: January 12, 2021 06:12AM

My late friend had a Yenko Vega that he bought new at the Yenko dealership. He couldn't keep a cam belt on it because the head had been milled and Yenko hadn't made the proper pulley change to allow for it. He parked it in his parent's back yard when it was only about 2 years old because he didn't trust driving it any longer. It was still there, melting into the ground, when he passed away about 10 years later.

About 10 years ago I bought a '73 Vega which had been "Yenko-ized with all the correct Yenko appearance parts. The man I got it from freely admitted it was a clone that he had built. I sold it a few years ago and of course the current owner is now claiming it to be a "rare, original Yenko Vega."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: January 12, 2021 08:44AM

alphasud Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Right. From what the Hagerty article said they wanted Chevy to install the turbo but could not due to emissions durability testing. So they made the turbo kit available over the counter along with a carb and intake manifold kit.

GM had the same issue with the Cosworth engines - durability issues caused them to fail the emissions durability testing. By the time the issues were fixed the Cosworth was over a year late to market, expensive, and the Vega had a horrible reputation.

I still recall some GM exec. saying during an interview - "We did not set out to build a bad car" - to which I thought "However you succeeded wildly". A shame as they were fun cars to drive.

Posted by: Jim Stukenborg ()
Date: January 12, 2021 09:03AM

An internal story at GM took place when the Vega was a year old. A GM exec called a lot of GM people involved with the Vega to an auditorium and told everyone to look to their left and right. He then rolled back the curtain which hid a rusty Vega and said if the rust problem on the Vega wasn't fixed asap a lot of you won't be here anymore. I never got a Vega with the 215 OLds engine but I did get a Corvair with that engine Jim

Posted by: donald g ()
Date: January 12, 2021 01:30PM

I purchased a new 1971 Vega Gt hatchback with all factory options in the Fall of 1970 (the first GT sold in NY state). It was a very nice fun handling, slow accelerating, "loud" inside car that delivered 33+ mpg. I drove the car hard for 46,000 mi in two- years, trouble free (save for a buzzing in the shifter mechanism) that Chevrolet could never resolve. The Vega combined with my wife's '66 VW (38 mpg) got us nicely through the 1st gas crisis. When our 2nd child arrived in the Fall of '73 we traded for a new 1973 Gt Kammback wagon. What a disaster!! In 11 mos. We drove a "Dealer loaner" more than we did the Vega. They replaced the entire drive train, radiator, left front suspension, broken tailgate hinge, complete AC system, broken driver seat, etc, etc. This experience was rivaled only by my purchase of an all options new 68 Monza convertible which I purchased because of the rumored ceasing of production in the spring of '68.-- This story is for another time. By the way, during this time I purchased a 1965 Corsa convertible-140 4sp 41,00mi for $290. It was traded to the Chevy dealership because, while running, the interior would fill with smoke.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: January 12, 2021 01:31PM

Jim Stukenborg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> An internal story at GM took place when the Vega was a year old. A GM exec called a lot of GM people involved with the Vega to an auditorium and told everyone to look to their left and right. He then rolled back the curtain which hid a rusty Vega and said if the rust problem on the Vega wasn't fixed asap a lot of you won't be here anymore. I never got a Vega with the 215 OLds engine but I did get a Corvair with that engine Jim

That's interesting. In 1972 I drove a new big Chevy station wagon company car. It had the new "no primer" single coat paint on it. Looked awful from new and flaked off after a couple months. The car started rusting within weeks of the first application of salt on the Winter roads. Even worse GM's penny pinchers deleted inner wheel well shields from the Vega design (remember the the cancellation of a front sway bar on the 60 Corvair to save money that launched Nader's career).

Interesting that there are more Corvairs around (as best I can tell) compared to early Vega cars.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: January 12, 2021 01:37PM

Unless all the Vegas and Monzas are hiding somewhere there are at least 50x as many Corvairs around. I have 114 Corvairs and 2 Vegas so I guess it is 57x.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Date: January 12, 2021 06:05PM

Joel, how about changing your picture so that we can see some of your other Corvairs. Jim

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: January 12, 2021 06:22PM

Corvairs for Jim

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2021 06:23PM by joelsplace.

Attachments:

Date: January 13, 2021 06:37PM

Joel. thank you for the photos. I really like the blue one. Jim

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.