Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
'65 trans synchro ?
Posted by: sura ()
Date: January 09, 2021 09:13AM

Are synchro rings and blocker rings the same thing?

I'm thinking about sending my trans out for overhaul so am looking at probable parts to order. The main issue is hard shifting to 2nd (either up or down) about 25% of the time. Sometimes its like butter, other times it feels like its locked out. I have to double-clutch a couple of times before it will engage 2nd.

Suggestions? What parts should I anticipate needing?

I'm using Amzoil 75-90 GL-4 lube.

Ray in Southern Oregon
'65 Corsa Regal Red
Minilites

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: '65 trans synchro ?
Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: January 09, 2021 09:32AM

Yes they are the same thing. The shaft for the counter gear is usually shot along with the needle rollers for that shaft. The syncro "Dogs" might also be getting worn. I had some break one time and it had some of your same issues. I usually like to take the trans apart first so that I can see everything that I will need otherwise there is always something that gets missed.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: January 09, 2021 09:45AM

RexJohnson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The syncro "Dogs" might also be getting worn. I had some break one time and it had some of your same issues.

Not a bad idea to replace them - Clark's catalog mentions that.

I had one break in two and a piece jammed the transmission gears - at only 68,000 miles.

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: January 09, 2021 09:49AM

C10429

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: January 09, 2021 02:38PM

Where ae you sending it to? If it is a Corvair Repair person they may have parts available. If not then you may just as well order the major rebuild kit with everything in it.

Hopefully they at least look at everything and also measure things and not just throw parts at it.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: January 09, 2021 05:31PM

I've found that the counter gear is often bad where the needles ride on the inside.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: sura ()
Date: January 09, 2021 05:38PM

vairmech Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where ae you sending it to? If it is a Corvair Repair person they may have parts available. If not then you may just as well order the major rebuild kit with everything in it.
>
> Hopefully they at least look at everything and also measure things and not just throw parts at it.

Its a local fellow I've used before on another Corvair I had.

Thanks all for the feedback.

Ray in Southern Oregon
'65 Corsa Regal Red
Minilites

Posted by: Early Guy ()
Date: January 09, 2021 06:31PM

I agree with Joel, carefully check the inside needle bearing surface of the cluster gear.I've Rebuilt dozens of these over the years and almost all show bearing/cluster shaft wear.Always at the rear/engine end. Some show wear inside the gear itself, small gear end. If someone else is doing the work make sure they check that out. They also often have reverse idler damage.

Ray Johnson Villa Park IL 63 Spyder Conv. 140 EFI

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.