Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Reverse light control
Posted by: mashad11 ()
Date: January 08, 2021 02:34PM

My car was an automatic that was converted to a 4 speed with 66 transmission at some point in its life.

The reverse lights do not turn on as they should. Lights are good.

Is there a switch that controls activation of the reverse lights? Wondering where to start troubleshooting ...

Ali S
'65 Coupe - 140 - 4 Speed
Los Angeles

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reverse light control
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: January 08, 2021 02:42PM

There were 3 style of manual transmission backup switches I am aware of. 3-speed was in the tunnel, '61-'65 4-speed hangs straight down out of the bottom of the transmission and '66 up 3 & 4-speed is on the driver's side of the transmission. I would start with the switch. If that appears good then see if the wiring was corrected for the manual behind the dash where the automatic switch is.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: January 08, 2021 02:48PM

PG cars had backup light switch at selector behind instrument panel. I run wires from that 2 prong connector through tunnel and to the 2 prong plug in of 65 4speed backup light switch. Connection is in middle of the tunnel.

If you used 66-9 4spd then wires continue to switch on side cover of traansmission.

Wires carry 12 V too, not ground.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: January 10, 2021 07:50AM

Swapping back and forth from Automatic to standard trans in Late model Corvair's is rather easy. Over the years we had a few we swapped back and fourth. My Brothers 1966 4-door was swapped back and fourth several times depending on which family member was driving it.
For the reverse lights we connected wires as Steve mentioned.

Corventure Dave

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 10, 2021 08:02AM

Clarks sells the 3 speed switch. It can be used with a 4 speed as Reverse is in the same position of the shift tube.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: January 10, 2021 08:20AM

There are a couple of wiring options.

1) You can extend the two wires up where the dash-switch was, down into the tunnel and back to the new manual trans switch.

2) The other option is to connect the wires at the dash together and then find the reverse wire in the tunnel harness and splice the switch into the wire at that location.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: January 10, 2021 09:27AM

Hmmm --- As best as I can remember for a 66 --- you connect the two LIGHT GREEN wires together that were at the PG shifter switch connector. The LIGHT GREEN wire from the PG switch goes to the rear backup lights via the tunnel harness.

On manual transmission cars the LIGHT GREEN wire in the tunnel harness went to the switch on the transmission and then to the rear backup lights.

If inclined, you can unravel the tunnel harness were it exits the tunnel, find the LIGHT GREEN wire, cut it and connect wires to the transmission switch.

Considering how fragile the transmission switches are (especially the repro's) you may just want to add a switch on the shifter rod as folks mentioned.

Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: January 10, 2021 11:38AM

Here ya go, using 3-speed components to activate reverse lamps:

Chet in Ramona

Attachments:

Posted by: mashad11 ()
Date: January 10, 2021 12:07PM

Thank you all. Very helpful.

Ali S
'65 Coupe - 140 - 4 Speed
Los Angeles

Posted by: Gregory_Miller ()
Date: January 10, 2021 04:23PM

my 65 had the 3 speed and it has been updated with the 66-69 4 speed. I had to extend the standard 3 speed wires to the new 4 speed switch in the 66 trans. Replaced standard lamps with high output LED lamps that fit regular reverse lamp sockets. They draw less current than the standard lamps and I had the switch fail from internal arcing with regular bulbs. No issues with new switch since replacing incandescent lamps with LED lamps. YMMV.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: January 10, 2021 04:39PM

Gregory_Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> my 65 had the 3 speed and it has been updated with the 66-69 4 speed. I had to extend the standard 3 speed wires to the new 4 speed switch in the 66 trans. Replaced standard lamps with high output LED lamps that fit regular reverse lamp sockets. They draw less current than the standard lamps and I had the switch fail from internal arcing with regular bulbs. No issues with new switch since replacing incandescent lamps with LED lamps. YMMV.

The incandescent lamps use a lot of power and the reverse lamp switch WILL overheat and ruin the oil seal, then they quit. Not just a Corvair issue.

LED replacement bulbs use less amperage.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.