Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Boxing LM Trailing Arms??
Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: January 12, 2021 01:36PM

Jim - A spherical bearing will not alter the camber change during travel. It has no resistance to that. Any stiffer rubber will.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: January 12, 2021 01:51PM

Seth, that would depend on which setup Jim is talking about. You are correct if it is just adding the spherical bearing. If it is the one below he is correct since it doesn't allow any swivel and will bind something up unless a slip joint is added to the driveshaft. I can't figure out why the late Ultravans did the same thing and expected it to live.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Attachments:
Posted by: azdave ()
Date: January 13, 2021 06:06AM

joelsplace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Seth, that would depend on which setup Jim is talking about. You are correct if it is just adding the spherical bearing. If it is the one below he is correct since it doesn't allow any swivel and will bind something up unless a slip joint is added to the driveshaft.

That modified trailing arm pic was how it looked when I first purchased my 455 Toro conversion. It does use CV joints that allow for the in and out movement of the half shafts as the suspension travels up and down. The extra arm that was added can be adjusted slightly to give a small degree of camber and toe-in change but very little.

I updated my photo so it is less confusing when referenced in other threads like this one.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Attachments:
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: January 13, 2021 07:25AM

That makes sense. Late Ultravans have the arm modification but nothing changed in the design of the other parts to allow free movement.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: Jonathan Knapp ()
Date: January 14, 2021 10:14PM

A change in the fore and aft position of the pivot point of that extra arm in the picture above would allow for some toe adjustment. An up and down change in the position of the pivot point would slightly change the static camber setting of the rear wheel. But there is nothing in that set-up that would allow for camber change over the course of suspension travel which is what is necessary for maintaining the tire in correct relationship to the road surface during cornering. That kind of suspension could be good for drag racing, however, where you want the tire to remain perpendicular to the road surface even during vehicle squat from acceleration.

I would never use anything like that if I was trying to make the car corner hard.

If you are running spherical (Heim) joints or Johnny joints in the pivot of your trailing arms, you must remove the front strut rod or at least release the bracket from the transmission cross member. The front strut rod requires the trailing arm pivot bushing to flex left and right on its inner sleeve. This factory set-up is an ingenious rudimentary rear wheel steering design that changes toe-in during cornering, which helps to control oversteer. Spherical joints and Johnny joints cannot move left and right at all. They have no flex.

Jonathan Knapp
Wheeling, WV
'66 Corsa Autocrosser

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.