Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Stromberg WW upgrade for turbo motor
Posted by: 61SuperMonza ()
Date: January 04, 2021 06:14PM

I would like to install a Stromberg WW on my turbo motor. I know there are other options but I am going for a more classic look and I have heard this is a very nice setup when dialed in. What are your thoughts.
I do plan to run water/meth injection and a wastegate.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stromberg WW upgrade for turbo motor
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: January 04, 2021 06:53PM

Well, a simple search reveals that it has been done before.

> > stromberg downdraft < <

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Date: January 04, 2021 07:20PM

I was hoping to get impressions from owners who had run this setup.
I have looked for info on the subject and found alot. It seems to be a nice setup.
I didn't find any actual driving impressions.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 04, 2021 07:26PM

Search for his further posts or PM him!! He's here still

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: January 04, 2021 07:28PM

Yep, from that thread I linked you can see that kmart356, AND Vairmech, have both ran the Stromberg WW.
Sounded like Ken had good success with it.
Not sure why kmart got rid of his?

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Date: January 04, 2021 07:32PM

Thanks for that Mel,
I know who to ask now.

Posted by: nirvairna ()
Date: January 04, 2021 08:38PM

Hopefully Steve Goodman will chime in, he likes the Stromberg WW for the turbo and has a lot of experience with it.

Actually, he has a lot of experience with everything Corvair smiling smiley

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: January 05, 2021 05:52AM

While I did a brief post in the other thread that carb settled my engine down considerably. The Carter YH would idle at 750 the Stromberg would go as low as 500 rpm on the same engine. The stock YH would get usually 13" but on a good day would go to 15". The Stromberg was instantly at 20" in first gear just smoking the tires! Shortly after I had to change the diff! All of the idiosyncrasies of the YH were gone. Around town driving was great and on the open road it was a terror.

Just a little background on the engine. I just picked what looked like the least performance cam I had. Stock bore on cast pistons with 65-6 turbo heads and a stock exhaust and turbo. After building the engine no matter what it would NOT boost below 3000 rpm but after that you had better be prepared because no matter what gear it sat you back in the seat, even with the YH as long as it was above 3000 rpm.
The Stromberg didn't cure the 3000 rpm issue, maybe by 500 rpm, but it did make more boost and again yo thought the YH was doing something? With the Stromberg you really knew it.

I would have to believe that the Stromberg would help a stock engine simply because it will flow more air. The only change I did to my engine was the Stromberg.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: troy.w ()
Date: January 05, 2021 07:33AM

Ken or anybody, this sounds like a fun thing to test out. Does anybody still have an adapter?

Troy Ward
Albuquerque, NM
'64 Spyder Coupe

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: January 05, 2021 08:37AM

As noted I do like the Stromberg/Bendix WW 2bbl. I had one on my original spyder engine and used one on the 912 Porsche conversion. I did a couple or more in the early days on customer cars too.

As Ken noted the carb flowed more air and boost PLUS ease of boost was noticible.

The minor drawbacks were that the early cars had little room between the top of airhorn and the inner shell of the engine lid. The kit came with screen mesh over the air horn which kept prairie dogs out but not any dirt. I used foam from air cleaners over the screen.

The carb used a manual choke but in my spyder regardless of how cold the engine would fire after a couple of strokes of the accel. The accel pump was leather. After starting it took a couple of minutes of playing with the throttle before heat would allow normal idle. Customer cars got a choke cable through the car and start/fast idle was easy. No easy way for manifold heat to carb because of tight fit on carb top. Late cars have lots of room on carb top.

The 2 metering jets are under plugs in carb bowl. A socket is required for R/R. The jet is flat on sides. round on ends. My socket is old (obviously) Herbrand and probably can be found on ebay easily.

Last is carb and adapter and again I would bet both are listed on ebay. Linkage is easy to fab too. Rebuild kit easy too but jet selection might take some searching.

Sorry I got a bit carried away.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Posted by: kmart356 ()
Date: January 05, 2021 09:49AM

Steve captured the essence of the Stromberg WW upgrade. The Spyder came to me with the conversion and had a screen on top. Sounds great but didn't filter anything and we have bugs and sand down here. I tried different approaches to get improved filtering and this was the best effort results - custom offset adapter and mower filter shown in photo below.

Boost was smooth and strong up through the 5200 range due to less restriction = better flow rate. The meth/H2O injection help both power and prevent detonation as I worked on timing improvements.

All the Stromberg parts as well as adapter are gone to new owners. Currently running a sidedraft Mikuni HSR45 on SU adapter.

Ken
'62 Spyder
Florida

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: January 05, 2021 10:52AM

troy.w Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ken or anybody, this sounds like a fun thing to test out. Does anybody still have an adapter?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'm pretty sure I have an adaptor but don't really want to sell it.

Is this for an early? Even if it isn't I could make an adaptor that would lower the carb by a couple of inches so there would be at least some choice of air filters.

BTW, I like it when Steve gets carried away, sometimes I learn something! LOL

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Date: January 05, 2021 11:15AM

Ken,

Thanks bud, yep it's for an early. I was just pondering a dropped adapter.. you read my mind.

Troy

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: January 05, 2021 11:15AM

I drool when I see your setup Ken.
When I get around to fixing the blown up transaxle in my big turbo I am going to have to get your advice on setting up a Mikuni on it.

Posted by: tboltkc ()
Date: January 06, 2021 08:22AM

troy.w Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ken or anybody, this sounds like a fun thing to test out. Does anybody still have an adapter?

I have one I'll probably never use.

-Travis

'65 Corsa; '63 Convertible; '62 Wagon; '65 4 Door
Heart of America Corvair Owners Assocation (Kansas City, MO)
[www.hacoa.org]

Date: January 06, 2021 08:53AM

Sent you a PM tboltkc

Date: January 06, 2021 09:42AM

Thanks for the info fellas. It sounds like a nice setup. With that said, what model number Stromberg did you use. I assume it would be one for a small displacement V8.
If anyone has the carb # let me know.
Thanks,
NORM

Posted by: kmart356 ()
Date: January 06, 2021 10:03AM

The one I had was Stromberg WW 3-214

Ken
'62 Spyder
Florida

Date: January 06, 2021 10:43AM

Thanks Ken

Date: January 06, 2021 12:58PM

Fellas,

Is the intake diameter 2 5/8"? I'm looking at variations on air cleaners that will fit a Stromberg.

Troy

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.