Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Corvair Futures
Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: January 04, 2021 10:41AM

jjohnsonjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It all goes to back when I was young and so was my car. I tried Pa hill climbing for a while. No Porsche turbos at that time, and they didn't take kindly to being beaten be my lowly Corvair.

LOL

Porshe owners in Northern California solved that problem many decades ago. They held autocrosses just for Porsche owners.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 61SuperMonza ()
Date: January 04, 2021 11:33AM

That's good stuff. Up here in AK we do see alot of Porsche's of all years and types.
This past summer a guy in a beautiful 912 decided he was going to blow my doors off. What a great feeling he must of had until I decided to take him seriously.
I left him like he was standing still. I could tell by the look on his face that he wasn't happy.
I on the other hand couldn't contain my grin.

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: January 04, 2021 11:47AM

HAHAHAHHAHAHAH Love it. I have a buddy with a 912. We rib each other all the time on the cars.

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: January 05, 2021 05:15PM

This is an interesting thread that has made me think a lot.

At 40 - I'm younger then most Corvair guys - not calling you all old!
I grew up dreaming about old cars.

I am a second generation nut. Our club formed in my dads backyard in the 70's.
When my dad passed he left 30 Corvairs and tons of parts. Sadly much of it got scrapped as it was not well sorted or protected. Funny thing as many as he had, almost all of mine I have gotten and built separately. Only have one that was amongst his.

I wanted on and off for years to go into business working on them. Went so far as to do so about 13-14 years ago.

Doing a clutch job in the rain to pay rent did kind of change my mind a bit.

Marriage, kids and a career not working on cars pulled me away from it.
I still work on them everyday but its a hobby for myself. I like all old cars but Corvairs are my thing. Maybe when I retire from current job, and if old cars are still a thing I might.

Posted by: Gatorfly ()
Date: January 05, 2021 06:22PM

The Stig Wrote:
> This is an interesting thread that has made me think a lot.
>
> At 40 - I'm younger then most Corvair guys - not calling you all old!

I think you are calling us old! hot smiley

But what would you know... your just a child in Corvair years Stig grinning smiley

San Juan Islands, WA

1965 Monza Coupe 110/4 Evening Orchid/Black (2nd Owner)
1966 Corsa Coupe 180/4 Marina Blue/Blue

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 05, 2021 07:30PM

Funny in the 60's Vairs were "kids" cars in soCal..When you became a man.. you had a v8!

Teen girls got the Verts.. and if you were not into surf....you had no need for a wagon....

Older people usually yearned for the "luxo-wagons".

I never had a Vair car until the '73 Gas Crunch " made it smart"!! LOL!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: doug6423 ()
Date: January 06, 2021 10:45AM

I haven't read every post in this thread, and hesitated if I should post or not..

I'm not as young as Stig but I'm one of the youngest in our local club. I grew up around cars too. Dad had a massive collection of cars and parts that I've spent the last several years eBaying. I built a show car when I was younger. Pulled the motor and leaded the engine compartment spot welds and seams so it was smooth.

But between my dad busy with business and then a life changing event I took a different view of the car hobby. Drive'em.

It's sad to watch cars rot into the ground because 'I'll get to it one day'. That was my dad. He had really nice to parts cars. What cars didn't sell I scrapped. Some were so bad I took them apart with a sledge hammer. A lot a parts were given away or went to the dumpster.

There are museums full of cars to view. As a matter fact, museums go out of business which add more cars to go some where to sit and rot. I'd rather drive and enjoy my car. I've been making my Corvair a daily driver that I can drive fast and enjoy. It feels good teaching my son and daughter how to drive a stick and trying to get them into older cars. I told them my next winter driver will be somebody's current garage queen. I hear Corvair is a great winter car... drinking smiley

Doug
65 Monza
Cincy, OH

Posted by: mikeycee ()
Date: January 06, 2021 05:10PM

I agree with Doug maybe 99%. I'm driving my '67 all over every day that I can although I'm trying hard to not let it go down hill or show any signs of dirt, grime or wear!! Good luck with that you say? I don't think so. Hey why are my letter Ls all upside down here? confused smiley grinning smiley Mike

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: January 07, 2021 05:01AM

In just the last few weeks and just in Minnesota:

A guy on the other side of Isanti wants to get rid of his 19 Corvairs and more engines and trim and... as a single package deal. I don't know who that would be. They all need work and less than half are worth saving. I talked to him about bargain pricing to get him thinking. He went far and wide dragging all this stuff home but is 80 now and won't be doing anything with any of it. His time and effort and expense must have been immense.

A guy in Detroit Lakes is done working on Corvairs. He first offered up and then scrapped powertrains and stuff last year. Now he's doing the same with small parts and such.

I cleaned out a storage facility in New Richmond with several engines and such in exchange for a rebuildable 64 FC engine. He's getting down to a single Rampside project.

I had a call from a guy in Alexandria who bought a building with Corvair engines and seats and stuff. Not a car guy but simply an act of decency before scrap.

A guy in Onamia contacted me about FC bumpers. He mentioned having several Greenbriers and cars and a shed full of parts but will only be doing something with a Rampside now.

There just seems to be SO MUCH STUFF becoming available with old guys curtailing their activities. I've got too much myself.

I had a lot of Corvair pipe dreams and collected good stuff for that someday.
Then I spent 10 years putting all my efforts into racing.
Now I've spent 10 years working on other people's Corvairs.
I might have another 10 years left. I've been spending some time getting some stuff running so it can be sold. 5 engines so far, I've been experiencing Dr. Frankenstein's thrill.
I decided on New Years a few years ago that I am not going to increase my capacity.
I got to thinking about all this last month with a thread here about every day somewhere another Corvair is going to scrap. It is sad but there's just SO MUCH STUFF lately. Perhaps I'm just in a unique position to hear about more than my share.
Are people in other areas seeing similar trends lately?
Will the amount of Corvair stuff available be increasing or decreasing?

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: January 07, 2021 08:34AM

I run an ad an CL and I've only run across one guy that I bought IIRC 14 cars from and some parts. I wish I could find deals like you have.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Date: January 13, 2021 05:54AM

That's an interesting answer to my question about what people are experiencing in other areas.
It's good to know there isn't too much Corvair stuff everywhere.
The guy with the 19 Corvairs is on a dead-end dirt road and you'd never know they were there when driving by on the county road. No one else who knows him around town even seems to know he's a Corvair guy.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: Saxon ()
Date: January 15, 2021 06:09PM

I bought my corvair just last May. My first ever classic car. I chose it because it's so darn unique and there was an active forum, a few mechanics and some really local knowledgeable guys.

My thoughts are that things can be done to slow down the eventual demise of all things Corvair. Making the cars, activities and tech talks more visible through other media platforms can help. Even partnering with other rear engine, air cooled clubs like VW's and Porsches.

However, that time will come that comes for all cars. We will die off slowly, less and less of the new generation wants or can afford the space or cost of this hobby.

Also, there has been a shift in thinking & desire amongst most of the younger kids. More virtual or vicarious experiences rather than direct hands on experiences.

I have seen similar issues in sailing and motorcycling.

My response is to use what I have and not make it a garage queen. Getting out get's other people asking about what I am riding, driving or sailing. When people need stuff, especially the younger ones, I give them my second hand gear free or for a paltry sum. They will put it to good use and keep the sport/hobby going.

SF Bay Area
Marina Blue '66 Coupe 4-spd 140 3.27 axle 14" minilites
Adopted May 2020

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: January 15, 2021 07:43PM

I'm really surprised how many younger people are here. Check out the age thread.
For a long time I was the really young guy but now I'm in the middle.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: gbullman ()
Date: January 16, 2021 03:36AM

joelsplace Wrote:
> I'm really surprised how many younger people are here. Check out the age thread.
> For a long time I was the really young guy but now I'm in the middle.

I am happy to see so many younger people and like you somewhat surprised. My perception is most average collectors (those with cars that are driven, not trailer queens) seek the cars that were popular in their youth. I’m a perfect example, held onto a 55 Chevy for decades because it was such a cool car when I was a kid (it was a 4 door which made it a little less cool but still a 55 with its original small block) and now a Corvair which sort of repeats my first car.

I am beyond thrilled to have my 66 Corsa Convertible, a car like this was way beyond my reach as a kid. I am well aware that my interest in Corvairs was definitely started by the 65 Monza Sedan 110 / 4 speed that was my first car I learned to drive in and took my driver’s test in.

I’m only a month or so in but expect to have this Corsa a long time.

Gary
1966 Corsa Convertible
Northern New Jersey

Date: January 16, 2021 04:23AM

RobertC wrote:

"Porshe owners in Northern California solved that problem many decades ago. They held autocrosses just for Porsche owners."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hank Godfredson is a big Porsche guy who did great in our Corvair Ice Racer. He later pissed off the Porsche Autocross guys by regularly posting FTD in a Datsun 510. Part of that was willingness to volunteer setting up the course so he could tailor it to advantage.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: January 16, 2021 05:20AM

Some of the customers I have inherited their Corvair from parents or grandparents. A lot of times the Corvair has been idle for several years so they call on me to get it running again and then hopefully take on the maintenance or small repairs themselves.

A few might catch the Corvair fever but many have the Corvair wrapped up in the memory of a loved one and it remains to be seen how far that will go. It is getting some nice cars out in the sun again. Some might go to the extent of joining a Corvair club. Many won't go beyond a remote Facebook sort of a connection.

I took an evening Small Business class when forming Corvair Repair LLC. I had to identify my competition. Not many, not many. I thought perhaps my biggest competition is the do-it-yourselfer. Rather than viewing them as competition I decided to operate in a supportive manner. I furnish extensive Notes with my Invoice explaining what I did and also sometimes what might be good to do in the future. Fixing up a Corvair is often more of a process than an event and if folks know what to be keeping an eye on they just might decide they can do it. If a person repairs their own Corvair the bond is made stronger.

Sometimes I notice nifty little fabrications or special care that someone has given a Corvair. I try to point out those special touches to the heir, perhaps they can see and appreciate the loving care of their Father's hands.

I've got too much to do. Rather than work on a Corvair from far away I would much rather set someone up with a Corvair guy in their own area so they can have a good long term experience.

Maybe I'm just a sap but there's a certain amount of romance with saving any part of history. Corvairs and Corvair people are unique. Pass it on.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: January 16, 2021 09:51AM

Well Jim, my experience is you can't go wrong trying to be good with customers when running a business. Sure there are a few bad customers, but overall most appreciate good service.

In my area we had a BAD character doing Corvair service. The word spread and he finally went out of business. Unfortunately many of his former "customers" have nothing but bad things to say about a Corvair now.

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.