Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Corvair Futures
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: January 01, 2021 06:28AM

I tend to examine my Corvair involvement around New Years Day. It was somewhat depressing that the first thread I read today was for Free Corvair Parts. I've been sitting on tons of Corvair parts hoping they would be worth something someday.

Last New Years I lamented the lack of Corvair repair people. I've got more than enough work in Minnesota to keep me busy but keep getting calls from surrounding states. I keep getting a bigger backlog and just don't know where else to send them. It shouldn't be my job to find places to send business away. Too much work is supposed to be a good thing. It's also supposed to be an indicator to raise prices.

Two years ago I decided that Corvair parts aren't worth anything until someone needs something. At that time I found it sobering rather than depressing. I need to get back into that frame of mind. It makes it possible to let things go.

I literally got rid of tons of stuff this Fall. I also did a lot of sorting. In a stack, a dozen side shrouds don't take up any more room than 6. It also frees up more than a dozen for scrap.

I keep thinking maybe I can outlast the free collections. That could be stinking thinking. We have different schools of thought even here on the Forum where we are mostly of one accord.

It's sad to think that a lot of the stuff I have came from Corvair buddies no longer with us. Their kin often like me because I come and take everything, no cherry picking. I like to think I'm fair but I suppose you'd have to ask them.

This year I hope to move some stuff along. I should always have a running Corvair on the corner for sale. I would like to test the waters for so-so looking Corvairs that run good. Maybe there's a market, maybe not. Let someone else with different talents finish them off.

Part of my original Business Plan was to have a selection of used engines running and ready to go. To that end I've got 4 now. I think there's a market there, maybe not. The rebuildable core airplane guys may be tapering off.

I should always be driving Corvairs where the powertrain is for sale.

I've taken some time away from repair jobs for all this sorting and need to get back to it. The allocation of time firms my resolve to not give it away but that's just me. I can certainly respect and appreciate those who want to see good stuff put to good use when they're not going to do it.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Corvair Futures
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: January 01, 2021 07:35AM

I can't imagine the stuff given away really hurts someone attempting to get money for parts unless it just happens to show up at the right(wrong) time. Free parts rarely show up here unless someone asks for them.
I think it is awesome that people like Bruce take so much time and effort to send parts to people that could use them rather than scrapping the parts.
Jim, how much of your work comes from people that are members here? The vast majority of people I buy cars and parts from have never heard of this group.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2021 07:37AM by joelsplace.

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: January 01, 2021 08:04AM

Just try to remember that it's better feast than famine. It's only bad for the customer when he has to wait in line. But then too, it bespeaks well of your work.

As for the excess parts, it seems like I always find the buyer for them AFTER I got rid of some obscure/rare part in a package deal with some other vendor. Like one fellow vendor told me that he could take a part to a dozen swap meets and not even have one nibble. But leave it at home and THAT is the one everyone wants at the next meet. I think every part has its buyer. It's our job to put the two together. "Do you feel lucky today? DO YOU??"grinning smiley

-Mark

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: January 01, 2021 09:32AM

Keep in mind that there are those that want to downsize like the free parts thread and just want to be a good guy.
Those types of things really don't hurt business, people have given away parts forever, even I have.
I have NOT advertised in years now and I have a 6mo. to a year back up! I send away work all the time to others and suggest the people either try themselves with my help or find someone local to help.
I am very close to not taking anymore work with only select jobs taken and start selling parts on ebay starting everything at $1. It would probably take a year or more to sell all the parts I have.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: January 01, 2021 11:46AM

Interesting discussion. Old cars area a hobby which changes. Hagerty does a lot of speculating and promotes the future of the old car hobby. It appears it will continue, but will change.

As noted here, it is often difficult to find a good Corvair mechanic due to the unique engine and transaxle.

I've watched a growing trend of resto-mods and the electrification of older vehicles. It a niche market, but growing. Costs are coming down and the automotive financial folks expect that by 2025 building a new electric car will cost the same as an internal combustion engine (ICE) car and will become less expensive as time passes. No ICE won't go away for decades, expect to see specialty high performance hybrid cars for decades. Europe and Japan have just passed legislation ending ICE only car sales by 2030.

I expect more older cars will go electric, but you still need someone to service suspension, brakes, etc.

A company in San Diego has been modifying VW's (mostly) to electric for years now and is still doing a good business!

I expect old cars will be around for decades, but the hobby will change.

Myself --- I would not mind an electric Rampy that would do 0-60 MPH in six seconds!!!

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 01, 2021 12:04PM

66vairman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Myself --- I would not mind an electric Rampy that would do 0-60 MPH in six seconds!!!

===========================================

That's a scary thought!!! GGG

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: 48kb1panel ()
Date: January 01, 2021 12:34PM

I have found that the more I try the more I learn. With the fantastic help of you on this forum I can do it. I haven't tried to do any motor or trans/diff. Work I'm hoping that I can rely on the experts for that and I hope all of you stay with it. We need you all more than you give your self credit for. So thank you in advance for all you do and all you try to pass on. Mike

My name is Mike Worrell living in southern Iowa my vairs are a 64 2dr convertible monza 900 with 110 motor 4 speed light yellow with blk interior. Then a few months ago I got a 65 2 Dr convertible monza 900 with 110 motor 4 speed
Also light yellow with blk interior. Not sure what gear ratio as of now I'll have a look and up date. I really like them both but really liking the 65. They really made a lot of changes in a 1 year difference ????

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: January 01, 2021 12:36PM

Another way of looking at things is that since some of the other cars in the same age groups are becoming prohibitively expensive to purchase, even in poor condition.
Corvair's are beginning to gain interest from folks that a few years ago would not have considered owning one.

Toward that end, many of the newer owners are either unfamiliar with the maintenance and repair and will increasingly require someone else to perform these duties for them. From that perspective, the experienced Corvair technicians that do quality work, should be able to continue working on them for years to come.

The up and down side to this, is that the values are also increasing to some degree.
As the interest and values of our vehicles increase, there may be an increased demand for quality reproduction parts like those that are available for other vehicles.

Items that seem to be plentiful and have little or no value today may become increasingly difficult to source as time goes by.
When attempting to downsize collections of parts, determining which items will become valuable or necessary is anybody's guess.

One thing I would like to see sooner than later would be a better selection of 13" tires including 60 & 70 Series versions.
Manufacturers would probably produce them if there was a continuing demand for them, and they could a decent return on their investment.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: Mike Stillwell ()
Date: January 01, 2021 12:46PM

Over the past few years, I find myself trying to save bodies more than parts. All the parts in the world won’t do us any good without something to hang them on.

Mike
YS-117

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: January 01, 2021 01:01PM

MattNall Wrote:
> 66vairman Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> > Myself --- I would not mind an electric Rampy that would do 0-60 MPH in six seconds!!!
>
> ===========================================
>
> That's a scary thought!!! GGG

But fun.. The battery pack would lower the center of gravity, and a better rear IRS would be needed. Doable if I'm around to see lower component prices.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: January 01, 2021 01:49PM

MattNall Wrote:
> 66vairman Wrote:
>
>
> > Myself --- I would not mind an electric Rampy that would do 0-60 MPH in six seconds!!!
>
> ===========================================
>
> That's a scary thought!!! GGG

I don't see anything scary about a 6-second ZERO to SIXTY Rampside.
But the thought of going faster than that in an FC is where the fright comes in. eye popping smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry
[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: January 01, 2021 02:17PM

After helping with the clean out of a long time friend's estate I can say that the Corvair world has changed a lot.
There were a lot more guys restoring Corvairs back in the 80's when I got into them. Back then guys loved buying parts cars and hoarding parts....especially when they were so cheap or even free.
I remember one local club member telling me that he and his brother had so many late model parts that they were having trouble storing them. They resorted to getting a roll off dumpster and scrapping doors, deck lids, trunk lids and all kinds of glass. They just had so much of it and back then, no one wanted it!
I had a conversation with Jeff at the Corvair Ranch last year. At one point in time he had many storage containers filled with good body panels. All of that is pretty much gone now. As such, the biggest commodity is sheet metal.
Anyways.....
I had a bunch of 69 Corvairs from my friends estate. Most were rough. I ended up scrapping 4 convertibles and giving 2 coupes to Jeff as no one wanted a parts car. We had one rough high optioned coupe with quick steering, tele, am/fm, 140 PG that sold dirt cheap.
Still have a storage unit of used parts as well.
It seems most people want turn key these days.............cheap turn key!

Lee J

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2021 02:22PM by gnvair.

Attachments:

Date: January 01, 2021 02:21PM

gnvair Wrote:
> optioned coupe with quick steering, tele, am/fm, 140 PG that sold dirt cheap.

> It seems most people want turn key these days.............cheap turn key!
======================================================================

They want turnkey PARTS as well.... cleaned and at least painted, ready to be bolted on.

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: January 01, 2021 02:25PM

MattNall Wrote:
> gnvair Wrote:
> > optioned coupe with quick steering, tele, am/fm, 140 PG that sold dirt cheap.
>
> > It seems most people want turn key these days.............cheap turn key!
> ======================================================================
>
> They want turnkey PARTS as well.... cleaned and at least painted, ready to be bolted on.

What fun is that? Reconditioning stuff is half the fun! At least for me.............but then again I like to torture myself like that :p

Lee J

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: January 01, 2021 02:30PM

gnvair Wrote:
> MattNall Wrote:
> > They want turnkey PARTS as well.... cleaned and at least painted, ready to be bolted on.
>
>
> What fun is that? Reconditioning stuff is half the fun! At least for me.............but then again I like to torture myself like that :p

I would have to agree on that Lee.
I may not be able to afford a complete restoration, but I can afford to refurbish miscellaneous parts as I take them off, and put them back on. grinning smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry
[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: Gatorfly ()
Date: January 01, 2021 02:48PM

Happy 2021 Everyone!

I can certainly understand Jim's position, as many of us have waited for decades for the Corvair to find its moment in the limelight in terms of overall value and collectability. Unfortunately, obsolescence and innovation are powerful market forces that supersede our love of the Corvair. Very soon, like some of you have alluded to, younger generations will all but forget fossil fuels and internal combustion in favor of electric cars and computer technology. Take the typewriter or the incandescent bulb, for example. LED all the way!

As a child of the 70's, I feel quite fortunate to have known and enjoyed the Chevrolet Corvair, with fond memories of driving around town in various models of my dad's favorite ride. He really appreciated the little rear engined car's quirkiness and innovation, so much so, that it seemed like he was driving a different model every few months or so! His obsession with the car was infectious, and at the ripe old age age of 17, I began collecting and swapping the cars and parts as well.

It was truly a family affair, with myself, my brother and my Dad, driving Corvairs and collecting parts throughout the 70's, 80's 90's and beyond. However, when my dad passed away in 2010, he left behind a large collection of parts that he had been "saving" for that "one day" project or his retirement fund. Well, he certainly proved the old saying correct that "you can't take it with you" and his "retirement" collection was inherited by his boys. Now, all these years later, many of those very same parts are still sitting on shelves in boxes, either waiting to be used or forgotten by time. It's for that reason that I'm now sending much of it off to new homes and renewed purpose while I'm still here to do so! Some will be sold and some will be given away in the next year or so. But don't worry about me, I'll certainly save enough parts for myself smiling smiley

In the end, I simply enjoy driving and working on Corvairs and the fond memories and friends that go hand in hand with my hobby. And sharing that passion with other like minded individuals gives me great joy, much more then shelves of parts without reason or purpose other then bragging rights.

One day, the once full shelves will be empty, but the legacy that my dad started will continue on for at least a few more decades beyond my existence and that is more valuable then anything grinning smiley

San Juan Islands, WA

1965 Monza Coupe 110/4 Evening Orchid/Black (2nd Owner)
1966 Corsa Coupe 180/4 Marina Blue/Blue

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2021 02:51PM by Gatorfly.

Date: January 01, 2021 03:23PM

On the subject of restoration, having just completed (almost) a full, pavement-up, down to the last fastener on everything restoration, AND having kept complete records of as much of the expenses as humanly possible, let me say that today a restoration, done properly, will cost about twice the value of the car, for most Corvairs. And that's if the body doesn't need a lot of repairing of rust problems. Add to the expense the amount of time and work, and it becomes obvious that there are only two reasons why most people would want a turn-key car instead of even attempting a resto. Either you LOVE to do the work, or you LOVE that particular car.

-Mark

Date: January 01, 2021 03:25PM

A note to Mike (48kb1panel) who wrote:

"My name is Mike Worrell living in southern Iowa my vairs are a 64 2dr convertible monza 900 with 110 motor 4 speed light yellow with blk interior. Then a few months ago I got a 65 2 Dr convertible monza 900 with 110 motor 4 speed
Also light yellow with blk interior. Not sure what gear ratio as of now I'll have a look and up date. I really like them both but really liking the 65. They really made a lot of changes in a 1 year difference ????"

Yes, that was the separation between the early and late model Corvairs. There were less changes between the year groups 60-4 and 65-9, but often the "amount of change" is relative. For a good example, see the CORSA Communique for October 2016 for my multiple-page article on just the changes they made between '66 and '67, something most people think they changed very little. What a difference one year can make!

-Mark

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: January 01, 2021 03:31PM

Mark, you are replying to his signature.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 114 Corvairs and counting...

Date: January 01, 2021 03:35PM

I've always thought of, and treat my Corvairs as "Desirable" used cars. I buy what I like and Want!

I feel lucky that they are considered "desirable Collector Cars" ie: good support and "socially interesting".

I gather spare parts I deem will save "downtime" and $$$. Nothing more.

Saying that, my Son has asked me to lineup "buyers" and "recipients" of what I now have.

My Granddaughters like driving my '67...but that's it.. no real interest. DIL loved my v8 Crown car [ Mustang girl when they married. ]...now Caddy's. Son luv's Jeeps and Luxo cars.

I "See the light"" LOL!!

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.