Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Stopping in for a visit.
Posted by: 62corvairjunky ()
Date: December 26, 2020 08:28PM

It’s been a minute since I’ve spent any time here.
Whether anybody cares or not, I’m going to tell you what I’ve been up to. cool smiley

I realized a few years ago that my hobbies were holding me back from getting myself in a position where I could enjoy my hobbies.
So... I spent the last few years focusing on other things that would help me do what I want to do moving forward. (that’s why I’ve been pretty much silent on anything Corvair related)
All my Corvair projects either got put in storage, or sold. (more of them got put in storage then got sold)

Anyway, it’s time to pick up the old grease rag and spare fan belt, and get back at it.

My oldest son is currently daily driving a 61 Lakewood that is in original condition. (patina lol)
And I am helping my nephew put together a 66 Corsa that he is currently driving.

Sorry about anybody that has sent me a PM in the last few years, I never use the email that is linked to this account.
Hopefully I’m caught up at the moment.

I’m going to make an effort to spend a little more time here, and maybe even pick up my old build thread soon.

It’s funny, the friendships I’ve made over the Internet still pop into my head from time to time. Thanks for letting me come back.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stopping in for a visit.
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 26, 2020 08:40PM

Many of us have been following you CJ's / Matt's Youtu channel 508k subscribers!

For the newbies / unaware Show us your wagonS

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: 65sprint ()
Date: December 26, 2020 09:02PM

Darn, when i saw the header "stopping in for a visit", I thought it was Santa Clause sad smiley

Date: December 26, 2020 09:24PM

Here Matt's new Workhorse!

Attachments:
Posted by: 62corvairjunky ()
Date: December 26, 2020 09:25PM

This is a little project I have been working on for the last several months.

I had a parts wagon that was just about at the end of its giving tree type of existence.
It had been sitting on the ground long enough to lose its entire floor pan and most of the Rockers. However, the rest of the body was very straight and rust free.
Every time I looked at it, I thought it would make a cool 4 x 4 project for the recovery work that I do.

I should have it together and running within the first month of 2021

Attachments:

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: December 26, 2020 09:37PM

I remember watching one of your vids, where it is a night-time recovery and the guy is shocked and disgruntled that you showed up to extract his Big Full-sized 4X4, with a little Jeep. hot smiley
People are really going to flip out when you arrive with a Corvair. grinning smiley cool smiley grinning smiley
Yes, people, I do realized that the body-shell is the only thing Corvair that it will have, but it is still a Slap-In-The Face to those guys that think their BIG trucks are so badly stuck they need a BIG tow rig to get them out.
I can only imagine the humiliation they must feel when their Girlfriend/Wife watches Matt recover their Man's Truck with his little rigs. hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley
That guy's ego has to be Majorly Butt-Hurt. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: December 27, 2020 08:07AM

American Mel wrote: "People are really going to flip out when you arrive with a Corvair. "

Craig replies: Yup! A friend of mine used to live on a windy, hilly road that goes around a local lake. It was 20-30 minutes of tight turns and heavy braking to get to his house.

In winter, the roads are covered in snow and ice so slide-offs are common; especially if you're pushing the limit. Naturally, many if not most of the slide-offs are 4wd trucks, because those guys are invincible, right?

Ross had a then newish '89 or so AWD 4 cylinder Camry. The stuck-truck guys would thank him for stopping but say "No way you're going to pull me out with THAT." Five minutes later, when Ross was putting his snatch-strap away it was more like "I can't believe that little Camry pulled it out!"eye popping smiley

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: December 27, 2020 08:10AM

Welcome back Matt!!!

Posted by: guthrie1068 ()
Date: December 27, 2020 12:42PM

I've been watching those videos, good stuff!

Chad Guthrie
Onondaga, MI
'63 convertible

Posted by: kenzen ()
Date: December 27, 2020 07:18PM

62corvairjunky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is a little project I have been working on for the last several months.
>
> I had a parts wagon that was just about at the end of its giving tree type of existence.
> It had been sitting on the ground long enough to lose its entire floor pan and most of the Rockers. However, the rest of the body was very straight and rust free.
> Every time I looked at it, I thought it would make a cool 4 x 4 project for the recovery work that I do.
>
> I should have it together and running within the first month of 2021

My Dad had the same white Chrysler (a 300 I believe) that is in the background of that picture...memories...
Ken

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Date: January 17, 2021 11:29PM

Painted!

[youtu.be]

...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: March 29, 2021 03:31PM

TEST DRIVE off Road!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2021 10:21PM by MattNall.

Date: March 29, 2021 03:38PM

MattNall Wrote:
> TEST DRIVE off Road!

I saw that the day it was posted. cool smiley
My B.I.L. (a furd guy), sent it to me, and said I "need to build a Corvair like this." grinning smiley
While I do like what Matt has done, it really isn't a Corvair anymore. eye rolling smiley

WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: March 29, 2021 03:54PM

Date: March 29, 2021 03:38PM

While I do like what Matt has done, it really isn't a Corvair anymore. eye rolling smiley

I consider such cars as a "something else" with a Corvair skin. a bit like the proverbial wolf in sheep's clothing.

What makes a Corvair a Corvair are two things: 1) the engine behind the passengers and 2) the air cooled engine. While I tolerate Corv-8's horsepower, simply because you can't get that much HP from a Corvair engine, and I understand the desire for HP, once you put the engine up front, you've removed all of the Corvair's DNA. So what do you have? A something else in a Corvair skin. End of story.

-Mark

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: March 29, 2021 04:14PM

I still considered Milt Binion's (?) V12 Jaguar powered LM Corvair a Corvair.
Of course this was back in Palm Springs many moons ago.

Date: March 29, 2021 04:38PM

Timothy, that was Jay Eitol with the v-12

Date: March 29, 2021 04:58PM

Yes Matt, I have been informed (you are late to the party). M B did the EFI Corvairs removed from Datsun 280Zs. What can I say? My memory is slipping now that I am no longer in my 50s. Maybe it was that second Pfizer shot I got last week?

Date: March 29, 2021 05:03PM

Most likely. eye popping smiley
Just pray that, that is the least that it does to you! eye rolling smiley

Date: March 29, 2021 05:19PM

Timothy Shortle Wrote:
> I still considered Milt Binion's (?) V12 Jaguar powered LM Corvair a Corvair.
> Of course this was back in Palm Springs many moons ago.

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: March 30, 2021 07:46AM

Date: March 29, 2021 04:14PM

I still considered Milt Binion's (?) V12 Jaguar powered LM Corvair a Corvair.
Of course this was back in Palm Springs many moons ago.

But I say in response:

And if I ever got hold of that car, I'd modify the holy hell out of the body, so that it could never be returned to posing like a Corvair. It is an impostor, a fraud, and doesn't deserve to even be titled with a Corvair VIN. Sure, he did an incredible job of hiding it's Jag underpinnings, even went to great lengths to do so. And did it with incredibly fine workmanship. But what a total waste of talent, not to mention trashing a really fine, nicely optioned Corvair in the process!

It's a car that proves the point that just because you can jump off a bridge, doesn't mean you should. There are some things that are simply so insulting to sanity that they simply should NOT be done. His car proves that in spades.

-Mark

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.