Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Replacing 80hpPG engine with 110hpPG engine . Options??
Posted by: Denisschoen ()
Date: December 25, 2020 03:13PM

I have a 61 Greenbrier with an 80hp PG power train. I acquired a 67 Monza parts car with a 110 hp PG . My plan is to install the 110 into the Greenbrier.What are my options in regard to the PG . The LM PG doesn't have oil cooler ports.Any tips for making this swap will be appreciated .

1962 Rampside
1961 Greenbrier
Northern California

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Replacing 80hpPG engine with 110hpPG engine . Options??
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 25, 2020 03:25PM

imo

Just swap the engines... Way too much effort and possibly $$ if you dig in!!

Keep the 67 PG for a spare..Front covers will swap. Diffs are way different. Sell the '67 Diff only

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: December 25, 2020 05:02PM

The PG will fit (not the differential) but if the FC PG is good, I'd just leave it.

To install a different PG, you have to shim the running clearance to fit a the differential and many would want to modify the car PG for an FC oil cooler. You might also have to set the shift cable adjustment "manual valve" and that would mean taking the pan off.

All in all, I suggest just staying with the current FC transaxle. Do replace the converter seal at the diff snout when you have things apart.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: December 26, 2020 04:50AM

Of course you will need to change the engine shrouding which shouldn't be too bad. It's because of the difference between the '61-64 perimeter seals (engine to body) being fabric strips rather than '65-69 rubber continuous seal.
There's a few shrouds where you can use either one.
It's easier to figure out before the engine is in the chassis.

The 110 probably has a harmonic balancer instead of a solid pulley. You need some extra clearance with the rear engine mount bracket or you won't be able to change the fan belt. You can either obtain a '64 engine mount bracket or shim the '61 out with some washers behind it. That changes the perimeter seal fabric strip provision. You can either obtain '64 parts or modify the '61 parts.
You'll figure it out. I just mention it so you're not surprised at the very end of the project.
It helps to have a 3/8 (10 mm) fan belt and not the wider 7/16" you see sometimes.

It's all fairly easy to swap over. I wouldn't let it scare me off the project. A 25% increase in engine power feels good.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: December 26, 2020 11:08AM

Thanks for the info and tips. I will use the 61 PG/Diff because I did see it move the Greenbrier off the trailer about 50 ft into the shop . The 67 power train has been sitting for +30 years. I am now looking for a 64 engine mount bracket. Should I keep the 61 torque converter with the 61 PG ? How about the flex plate and bell housing ? Are they interchangeable ?
Denis

1962 Rampside
1961 Greenbrier
Northern California

Date: December 26, 2020 11:36AM

TQ stays with trans.. 67 110 needs a dished Flexplate with 7 holes, not 6! 7th hole is smaller than the other 6. Search here for Flexplate ID

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: gmgmtl ()
Date: December 26, 2020 11:56AM

The late model powerglide is more rugged than the earlier model. You won't need a cooler unless you are planning on overloading it on a regular basis. We have a late model 110 and power glide in our Rampy. We've put nearly 40000 miles on it over the past 8 years without a problem.

Gary Moore near KC Missouri

"The internet: A magnificent new technology combining the credibility of
anonymous hearsay with the excitement of typing." Jon Stewart 2004

61 RedRampside 110 automatic
61 Green Rampside 102 4speed

Heart of America Corvair Owners Association
[www.HACOA.org]

Corvanatics
[www.corvair.org]

Cactus Corvair Club
[www.cactuscorvairclub.com]

Google CORSA Chapter Map with links to chapter sites.
[maps.google.com]

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: December 26, 2020 01:11PM

The '64 car motor mount bracket is not the same as the '64-'5 FC bracket. The FC bracket has a step in the bracket about the thickness of the metal to allow for the belt to be removed. As stated earlier 2 washers under each attaching stud of the mount will do the same thing. With the '64 car bracket the slot for the mount stud was moved back to allow for the harmonic balancer and an A/C pulley. The stud in the mount was also moved back to properly align with this new bracket. Since the motor mount stud on the FC can't be moved back you run the risk of interference between the stud and the slot with the car bracket. With the car bracket you also need the '64 only motor mount cover and the '64 only seal retaining strips. If you use the washers the cover and the retainer strip stay the same.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Date: December 26, 2020 03:11PM

Ok it sounds like the washers behind the existing FC motor mount bracket is the way to go. Just to be sure then for the 67 110 mounting to the 61 PG/Diff I should use the 67 110 flex plate with 7 holes ?
Denis

1962 Rampside
1961 Greenbrier
Northern California

Date: December 26, 2020 03:25PM

YES!!!

Date: December 30, 2020 04:53PM

Is there any difference in EM and LM PG bell housings ?
Denis

1962 Rampside
1961 Greenbrier
Northern California

Date: December 30, 2020 05:32PM

Yes, cam clearance

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: December 31, 2020 10:11AM

The main difference is the seal placement. The short stroke has a longer sealing surface on the crank gear than does the long stroke crank. So with the long stroke bellhousing the seal was moved towards the center of the engine approx. .070".

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Date: January 02, 2021 05:25PM

I would keep the 61 bellhousing with the 61 engine and the 67 bellhousing with the 67 engine because of the reasons already mentioned.
They both bolt to the differential the same, in other words the 67 bellhousing will bolt to the 61 differential fine.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: January 02, 2021 08:12PM

Denis
Is there any difference in EM and LM PG bell housings ?

Matt
Yes, cam clearance

If there is a silver dollar (a what???, look it up) sized depression in the bellhousing where it would touch the camshaft, that is a 1960 to 1963 bellhousing.
As Matt says, for camshaft clearance. No depression? Than it is a 1964 to 1969 (aka 164 cubic inch) bellhousing.

Keep same with same, as Jim says, it makes life easier....winking smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: January 03, 2021 09:21AM

There is a depression on both of my bellhousings so apparently someone before me has swapped the LM for an EM. That's why they looked so identical to me.
On another subject related to this same 67 110hp I noticed that the cam gear shows signs of uneven wear that I couldn't ignore. I was going through the local Corvair club's supply of shared parts and found a NOS cam gear and a 3839889 cam . I already had acquired a set of 3856743 heads. Hoping this combination will workout in a Greenbrier. Stressing over installing the gear on the cam I scoured the archives relating to this subject. After days of research I decided to go with heating the cam gear to +- 400 degrees and freezing the cam overnight. My plan B was to set up the 40 ton press just in case the heat/freeze didn't work. To my delight the cam slipped right on.

1962 Rampside
1961 Greenbrier
Northern California

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: January 03, 2021 09:39AM

400F gear + Cold cam = The way to go. You want the gear to shrink in place rather than potentially broaching the gear, which leaves it oversize and not nearly as secure. Good job!

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Date: January 03, 2021 09:49AM

The 67 cam doesn't need the depression but it won't hurt anything for it to be there.
I'm more concerned with how the seal rides on the crankshaft. You could put it on and see. A thicker bellhousing gasket moves it a touch too.
I took a 63 bellhousing off a 64 engine this week in favor of the correct one. I thought the seal was right to the end of the crankshaft but I honestly didn't dwell on it. I've always used the right one and I'm not much of a risk taker. Perhaps someone else will add to the discussion.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: January 10, 2021 08:33AM

Does anyone else see a reason I wouldn't put the EM PG bellhousing back on the LM 110hp engine the way it was when I got it ? I am using the EM FC diff/PG and don't have a LM PG bellhousing..
thank you,
Denis

1962 Rampside
1961 Greenbrier
Northern California

Date: January 10, 2021 09:58AM

No reason not to!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.