Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Bellhousings and Crank Gears
Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: November 20, 2020 03:04PM

There is some misinformation that has been around for years regarding the bellhousings and what gears they can be used with. I have pictures that will explain everything and that is, that it doesn't matter what bellhousing you use with either crank gear. Even my thinking was wrong! I will explain above each picture.

This picture is just showing a straight edge sitting to show the difference in the overall length of the gears. The taller one is the early.

This picture has optical illusions in it but I was trying to capture the little flange. It clearly shows that the space between the gear and the flange is equal between the crank gears.

In this picture you can clearly see the little flanges are equal in height only the seal area is longer.

So looking at the gears the only thing that changes is the seal position on the seal area. Now visualize this, Using a late bellhousing on the early gear, what would happen? The seal would a little closer to the little flange on the gear with more gear seal area exposed. What if you put an early bellhousing on a late gear? the seal will move closer to the end of the exposed seal area.
There is NO clearance issues on the inside for any combination since the little flange on the gear is in exactly the same place on both gears.

The ONLY thing that could concern anyone is using an early bellhousing on a late crank. Why? I have done this very thing and the only thing I saw was the dust lip was riding on the 45 degree chamfer and was real close to the flywheel/flex plate but as we all know close only counts in horse shoes and nukes! LOL

So with the pictures I have presented I say use any combination of crank and bell housing you want without any spacers or special items.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bellhousings and Crank Gears
Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: November 20, 2020 04:24PM

Perfect explanation and demonstration Ken. thumbs up

I did not want to just post that I have mixed them up way back in the day when I did not know better.... with no issues.

smileys with beer

Corventure Dave

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: November 21, 2020 03:59AM

Interesting. I would add that I use the thicker bellhousing gasket to relocate the seal surface a bit although I'm not sure it's necessary.

Does the Early camshaft really need the silver dollar sized relief in the bellhousing?

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2020 04:00AM by JimBrandberg.

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: November 21, 2020 04:17AM

JimBrandberg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Snip
>
> Does the Early camshaft really need the silver dollar sized relief in the bellhousing?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That is a whole different post with totally different parameters.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.