Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Engine lid adjustment after replacement
Posted by: pvholgado ()
Date: November 20, 2020 01:21PM

I'm in the process of replacing my engine lid with a different one that I just painted with the rest of the car. Old lid fit fine but was beyond help with rust along the rear edge. Lid was painted along with rest of car and it fits fine along the edges but the right rear corner (farthest from hinge) doesn't fit flush with fender- the other side is fine-(see pic-) the rear of lid fits flush with the rear air inlet-I have fiddled with latch vertical adjustment in the hopes that drawing it down more would help-- Didn't- Also have installed a new Clarks lid seal- See pic - any ideas of what needs to be adjusted?

"A sign of great intelligence is being able to say 'I don't know'"
1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe current being "refurbished"
Located 25 miles East of Rochester, NY

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Engine lid adjustment after replacement
Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: November 20, 2020 02:07PM

If the lid is even / level with the body at the hinge, I would say that the lid is "torqued" / bent.

Or, there was body work done on the top of the fender which made it slightly lower.

Never spent much time around body shops, but I have often wondered if there are not slight differences in the body - which shows up when you start moving lids / doors from car to car. Because of what I have seen at Corvair conventions over the decades.

Actually, the end of the lid (driver's side) seems to hang just a little past the end of the fender - though the trim matches up.

Posted by: Colorsarge ()
Date: November 20, 2020 02:47PM

Agree with RobertC that it's torqued. Bent. A good body man should be able to remedy this I think. Good luck.

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: November 20, 2020 02:51PM

I agree with the above. If it is flush everywhere except the one corner either the lid it bent or the 1/4 panel has been damaged and not shaped properly on repair. Issues like this are supposed to be caught before the car is painted. After removal of panels and repair of panels all panels need to be installed and checked for alignment before removal again for painting to avoid issues like this, particularly if a panel has been changed or any major reconstructive surgery has been done that might effect panel alignment.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Date: November 20, 2020 03:41PM

way to go Ted....kick a guy when he is down....eye rolling smiley

TerribleTed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree with the above. If it is flush everywhere except the one corner either the lid it bent or the 1/4 panel has been damaged and not shaped properly on repair. Issues like this are supposed to be caught before the car is painted. After removal of panels and repair of panels all panels need to be installed and checked for alignment before removal again for painting to avoid issues like this, particularly if a panel has been changed or any major reconstructive surgery has been done that might effect panel alignment.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: November 20, 2020 04:24PM

Make a cardboard template of the top of the driver side 1/4 panel. Then transfer it to the passenger side. You'll know for sure which part is off.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Date: November 20, 2020 05:02PM

My thought is that the fenders are correct since the cove moldings all line up and there is no visible repair work visible from back of fender- Don't yell at me but I'm thinking of trying to un tweak the lid using a 2x4-- any theories on where/how to place it/them?

Date: November 20, 2020 05:27PM

pvholgado Wrote:
> My thought is that the fenders are correct since the cove moldings all line up and there is no visible repair work visible from back of fender- Don't yell at me but I'm thinking of trying to un tweak the lid using a 2x4-- any theories on where/how to place it/them?

If the coves fit nice the 1/4 is likely not that far off. I would support the lid near the center with a 2x4 laid between the lid and the rear body panel. I would then use another 2x4 piece and a hammer to hammer down on the high corner of the lid. you will need a helper to hold the good corner down. If you are lucky it will bow and not buckle out in the top of the lid when you do this. If the misalignment went farther up along the side instead of being just near the rear I would say just twist the entire lid., but, it appears that the issue is only at the last 8" or so. You could try some twisting before hammering as if it does not help you can usually twist it back. Ideally if you twist the right down and the left up both sides might end up a little high? If that was what happened then only a piece of wood holding the middle and bending down on both ends would be neededsmiling smiley

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[www.facebook.com]

Date: November 20, 2020 06:08PM

Thanks, I'll try your theory out tomorrow x36

Posted by: tony66 ()
Date: November 20, 2020 06:46PM

I think it would be very wise of you to share more pictures of how the rest of the lid fits before taking a 2x4 to it.

Also, jjohnsonjo advise to make simple cardboard templates is the very first thing you should do. Slip a piece of cardboard in between the lid and the quarter panel, then take a pencil and trace the profile of the each side, then move the traced cardboard to the other side and check the lines against the panels.

In theory, the right side quarter panel line drawn on the cardboard, should match up to the left side of the lid, and vice versa.

Date: November 20, 2020 07:09PM

pvholgado Wrote:
> way to go Ted....kick a guy when he is down....eye rolling smiley
>
>
> TerribleTed Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > I agree with the above. If it is flush everywhere except the one corner either the lid it bent or the 1/4 panel has been damaged and not shaped properly on repair. Issues like this are supposed to be caught before the car is painted. After removal of panels and repair of panels all panels need to be installed and checked for alignment before removal again for painting to avoid issues like this, particularly if a panel has been changed or any major reconstructive surgery has been done that might effect panel alignment.

Not meaning to kick anybody. My comments were more directed toward others reading this thread so they do not end up in the same situation. You will know better in the future for sure alreadysmiling smiley You can not count on anything aligning correctly when changing any panel (or indeed even using the same panels if any major work ahs been done). Even new cars with brand new factory parts must be test fit to ensure good assembly lines.

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Chris Lampe ()
Date: November 20, 2020 08:40PM

Before tweaking anything remove the newly installed lid seal and check fit, the seals need to settle a bit when new, typically its very hard to even close the lid with a new seal, not sure why it would only affect one side but worth checking. I'm not sure about the late models but the early has adjustable bumpers on the rear corners of the deck lid, does the passenger side need to be screwed in a little?

As previously mentioned a couple more pictures would help, one straight on from the rear showing the back edge of the deck lid retaliative to the rear cove, and one looking over the top of each rear fender looking toward the center of the deck lid showing the full length of the deck lid and it's position retaliative to the fender.

If the deck lid is tweaked and we can tell which part needs to move it's possible using a 2x4 or my preferred tool a wooden baseball bat, place the bat in the opening and make careful suggestions to the deck lid how you prefer it would reside over your engine.

Chris
Rowlett, Tx
NTCA - North Texas Corvair Association
CORSA
'64 Monza 'vert

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: November 20, 2020 09:16PM

I would not hit the top side with that new paint. I would place the 2X4 or bat underneath the lid and then push with my open hand and all of my weight on the top side. Placing where needed for the hand and wood.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: November 20, 2020 11:15PM

My car was like that when I got it. The lid scraped the car and was misaligned in the same spot. I suspect some PO got it in an accident and then didn't finish it properly. About a year after I bought it the car got a bend in the driver side from what I will call a road hazard. When the body shop repaired it, they also took care of the misalignment, which turned out to be in the car, not the lid.

Eric C. Player, Porterville, CA, USA (Seriously! It's the USA out here!)
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club.
THEN:
1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow
1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW:
1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Date: November 21, 2020 04:52AM

I'll take more pics and post- thanks to all. Phil

Date: November 21, 2020 05:47AM

Here's some pictures -

Attachments:

Date: November 21, 2020 05:48AM

one more

Attachments:
Date: November 21, 2020 05:51AM

one more

Attachments:
Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: November 21, 2020 06:19AM

I would like to make a suggestion , but am not ready to be yelled at by the armchair thought police.
Thanks Ted for trying to help.
BC

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Date: November 21, 2020 08:39AM

pvholgado Wrote:
> one more

I can see the rear body panel damage in the photo between the tail lights. The 1/4 panel is sucked down from the rear end being hit. Pull the rear body panel out to where it should be and straighten the 1/4 panel to match the lid which is fine. repaint after the repairs.

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2020 08:45AM by TerribleTed.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.