Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Electrical question
Posted by: btexpress5 ()
Date: November 19, 2020 02:44PM

I have a rebuilt 110 motor with probably 30 hours on the motor. Most idling in garage. Drove it yesterday for about 10 miles at about 50 and the oil temp light started to flicker. Stoped and let it cool ( did not seem hot).luckily I was back near my barn. Now for the question.if I put a splitter on the oil sender and temp sender so I could put a real temp gauge and leave the idiot light working would the read right? I assume they work off resiste? What size wire to gages. The senders both look relatively new.If I pull of the wire to the oil sender would the heat light still work? That would have been a good way to see witch was causing the light to flicker. The oil sender was not leaking.

Bruce Trotter
Littlefield, Texas
1964 Monza coupe

Keep on Keeping on !

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Electrical question
Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: November 19, 2020 03:04PM

Sure pull the oil sender wire off by the gen or alternator.

You can also screw in a mechanical gauge right there where the sender is with an extension pipe just to know what the pressure is.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: November 19, 2020 03:33PM

OP Wrote: "I assume they work off resistance?"

Craig replies: Not resistive. Both oil and temp switches are simple switches. Head temp is supposed to close at 525F on most models. Oil pressure is supposed to close below 3PSI (some argue it's 5PSI)

The only way to know the true pressure is with a mechanical or electrical gauge that's screwed in instead of the oil pressure switch. I do this before and during startup of any rebuild I do.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Attachments:
Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: November 19, 2020 03:39PM

I have a oil pressure gauge mounted on the adapted oil filter bolt. I use this primarily on engine rebuilds to check oil pressure on first start ups and break in's.
Clarks has these available. It's easy to install and remove and a quick way to check oil pressure.

Corventure Dave

Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: November 19, 2020 05:04PM

Taking the wire off (unplug) the Oil Pressure Switch will let you know if the problem is pressure related. If the Temp/Press light still flickers it is the Temperature Switch.

On one of my earlier Corvairs I bought a Oil Pressure Switch from a local NAPA store (the old one was leaking) and the light came on at idle and would not go out until I got to 30mph!

I ordered a new one from Clark's and never had another problem.

For grins, I have both the Oil Pressure Switch and my Oil Pressure Sender hooked up to my More-Door with the Custom Instrument Panel. It switches from Odometer reading to Oil Pressure when the pressure goes below 10 pounds.

On a 90 degree day I see pressure between 5 and 7 pounds at idle and 15 to 20 pounds at normal speeds. The switch doesn't turn ON until pressure drops below 4 pounds!

Testing it with a mechanical gauge is a good idea to make sure you don't have a "real" Oil Pressure problem!

JMHO!

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: November 19, 2020 05:24PM

Dale
Taking the wire off (unplug) the Oil Pressure Switch will let you know if the problem is pressure related. If the Temp/Press light still flickers it is the Temperature Switch.

Or more probable, a nicked wire (pinched between the shroud and the top cover or block).

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.