Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Bending Fuel Line
Posted by: Frog ()
Date: November 18, 2020 10:29AM

Fuel line is attached to fuel pump, but fuel line is about 1/8 of an inch from the generator pulley. To open that gap a bit, what's the best way to bend that short section of fuel line without distorting it at the end?

Thank you.

Frog

Rob Lane
Clayton, in the Northeast Georgia Mountains.
1964 500 Coupe
Purchased by me in April of 1964.

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bending Fuel Line
Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: November 18, 2020 12:32PM

Use a tubing bender. are you absolutely sure that the fuel pump is mounted properly with the pointy bolt seated well in the cone shaped hole in the pump base? It almost looks like the fuel pump needs to rotate to the right a hair. there is usually pretty fair space here even with a poorly bent Clark's line. You will likely need to make 2 bends. One between the existing bend and the fuel pump and one past the existing bend to get the body of the line pointed more where it should be.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2020 12:36PM by TerribleTed.

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: November 18, 2020 12:41PM

You should be able to arc the line in a bit at the L where it bends at the side of the engine compartment. Just gentle arcing and that should move the final bend up and to the right slightly enough to clear.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: November 20, 2020 06:43AM

Next to the fuel pump end I might wedge something round in there like a wooden hammer handle on the side away from the generator. This is so it won't kink right at the tube nut but bend a little forward of it. Then I would bend the line with my fingers. The long side will get a little closer to the carburetor base but it's easy enough to bend that with your fingers if needed.

The bend in the picture is already a little flattened out. It will work fine but I'd expect a little nicer when paying the big money although my 5/16 sometimes look like that too. I make a lot of 5/16 lines for EFP installations.

If the line is already going through the grommet in the front shroud it's difficult to remove it to the bench.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.