Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Electric "Parking Brake" in a LM!? confused smiley
Posted by: TedBrown ()
Date: November 19, 2020 06:03PM

I have had one on my 68 Convert for about 3 years now and pretty happy with it. I have a 2-way switch on a center console and to the right tightens it up and to the left lets it off.

You can hear it so I use that rather than limit switches. I didn't buy the expensive E-Brake, I bought one for use on a solar panel for $30.00 on Ebay.

It is a Parking Brake and works well for that. If I lose the brakes, it going to be a hold on tight until I figure out under pressure.....Is it RIGHT OR LEFT on the switch?

Happy with it, but again... maybe worthless technology over the handle, but that's what I do.

Ted

**NEW** Dual TBI KITS are now available through Clarks Corvair 1 Jan 2021
**2 & 4 TBI units are available through Corvair-EFI.com
Ted Brown
Anderson, SC
[www.Corvair-EFI.com]
Brown Injection Facebook
68 Monza Convert Auto - EFI
61 Loadside - PGlide - EFI
61 Rampside - 4 speed - EFI
61 Greenbrier 4 speed - EFI
61 Greenbrier 4 Speed - Bad Motor

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: November 19, 2020 10:22PM

Further note. By an "electric" brake caliper, I am looking for a parking brake for a race Corvair that has already converted to 4-wheel discs. The dual piston calipers I have at all four wheels have no mechanical actuation. This is not for an emergency brake application, just for holding it still in the pits.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: VairKing ()
Date: November 20, 2020 04:49AM

Seth I am interested in the same thing. My GTP V6 Corvair uses FWD hubs and brakes on the rear, so no provision for a holding brake. My thought at the moment is to use one of these hand lever master cylinders to apply hydraulic pressure to the rear brakes to hold the car. The drift guys use these. I would have to modify it to look like a regular parking brake handle between the seats. Or I could use one of these line lock type things.

Attachments:

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: November 20, 2020 05:48AM

Seth and Ryan...check the device out.

Already showed this to Dale in a P/M.

Had one bought for SuperVair before it sold.

Unknown if Don (SoloCP) was able to install it.

It wont kill the battery during long term storage.

[www.streetrodhq.com]

"Simply install inline after master cylinder and/or ABS controller for front or rear axle. Apply 12V power to it and install toggle switch. When you wish to use it simply apply brake pedal and flip toggle switch and it will hold line pressure. It does not use any power except when being switch from on or off."

Attachments:
Posted by: Melb-Mike ()
Date: November 20, 2020 06:03AM

For a parking brake on rear disc brakes, take a look at the Willwood brake system. It uses a cable to both rear wheels and a cam type lever to block the rear disc. I have it on my Cobra. I wouldn't want to rely on this to stop the car in an emergency but it's satisfactory in holding the car on a 5% grade. Right now it's actuated with a mechanical handle but I will eventually use a linear actuator to engage and release it.

By the way, the linear actuators available on eBay all have limit switches built in which means the actuator runs all the way in or out and shuts down automatically. So when wanting to actuate or release the brake, just throw the switch and ignore it. It will run its course and stop. If using a DPDT switch with a center off position, you could actuate it as much or as little as you want and then stop movement by putting the switch in neutral or center. I also want to mention that almost all the linear actuators on eBay are of Chinese manufacture. I have one on the engine lid of my Greenbrier to raise or lower the lid with a switch and it works quite well. I've also seen a number of Corvette restomod manufacturers use them to work the hood on Corvettes, and yes they're the same ones sold on eBay. You can get different travel lengths ranging from 1" to well over 24", and the speed as well as maximum force varies.

64 Greenbrier
64 Spyder (needs restoration)
65 Corsa 140, restored
66 Corsa turbo, restoring now
66 Corsa 140 "RR" code coupe fully restored
67 Pontiac GTO restored
69 Corvette 427 convertible restored
2015 Porsche Panamera S
2015 Corvette Z06
1965 AC Cobra (Factory Five)

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.