Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Electric "Parking Brake" in a LM!? confused smiley
Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: November 18, 2020 10:16AM

In an "effort" to remove the mechanical cabels from under the dash I am looking at replacing the Heater Control cable and the Defroster cable with 'something' electrical. eye rolling smiley

I would also like to replace the Emergency/Parking Brake cable! eye popping smiley

I am looking at the eStop unit that many of the Custom HR shops are using. It seems like it would 'fit' in the "tunnel" and work the standard Corvair Emergency/Parking brakes with no problem. drinking smiley

Finding a place to put the Push Button that operates it is something I need to figure out.

I was just wondering if anyone else had seen this unit and if it has been installed in ANY Corvair??? confused smiley

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Electric "Parking Brake" in a LM!? confused smiley
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: November 18, 2020 11:02AM

I'm curious as to why you would want to do that. No criticism it's your car.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 113 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: November 18, 2020 11:40AM

I would have the same question as Joel.

But...those E-Stopps are slick as heck!!

[www.estopp.com]

Attachments:
Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: November 18, 2020 11:41AM

They do look cool! I like the press button power brake in new cars.
I have a hard time seeing where to fit it in the tunnel. Would look neat to get rid of the knee knocker handle.

Date: November 18, 2020 11:52AM

Then you can't release the brake if the battery is dead, or does it release when the battery dies? Either way I don't like it. It's just adding weight and complexity to a stone simple reliable system.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: November 18, 2020 12:41PM

I would have to agree with the others who do not understand this move.
I use my Parking Brake quite frequently for things other than Parking.
I also subscribe to the K.I.S.S. rule, and anytime you replace straightforward mechanical, with electronic, you have just thrown simple right out the window.
That being said, I also understand that some people want a modern car, with old classic style.
Dale seems to be going down that road with his Corvair, so I will be happy to watch this project develop. thumbs up

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: November 18, 2020 01:57PM

That said, Anybody know of an inexpensive electric parking brake caliper for a 1" thick disc? Some VW's and, supposedly, others use an electric parking brake.

Posted by: alphasud ()
Date: November 18, 2020 02:50PM

I work on cars with electric parking brakes and I personally would never add one to my car. Yes if the battery dies you need to release the calipers with tools. Like everything else electric or electronic is nice when it works but expensive when it fails. I would entertain cutting a mechanical lever from a donor car and installing between the seats for a nice mechanical brake.

David North Idaho
1965 Corsa Turbo converted to 140
1971 Super Beetle with 2.5L Subaru engine
1965 Corsa mid engine project
1973 Mercedes 280 project

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: November 18, 2020 02:56PM

My first motor home had auto park brake. I made sure the next one didn't. If it failed at speed it locked up the rear wheels. They put them on because folks would not use the park brake when they put them in park on a hill. The weight would lock up the trans.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Date: November 18, 2020 02:59PM

Just a little curious! Looking for things to "update" during the "stay at home and play with your Corvair" pandemic!!! drinking smiley

I want to 'clean up' the area under the dash and get rid of cables that rust, break, and sometimes get used for "GROUND" when you least expect it! eye popping smiley

I have a "plan" that requires as much 'free room' as I can get. If I get anywhere close to making it work I will post it here! eye rolling smiley

I have driven Corvairs since 1962 and have never needed to use the "Emergency Brake" for anything other than parking! tongue sticking out smiley

The E-Stop unit uses a motor to pull in the brake cable, then locks it in place.

Yes, you need a battery to release it! If the battery is dead, or you disconnect it you can not move the car. They (the manufacturer) thinks this is a good anti-theft point! hot smiley

Anyway, it is something to keep me busy!!

Heck, nobody did a Custom Instrument Panel like the one I got from Dakota Digital!

Seth, I have heard of electric parking brakes for disc brakes but don't know anything about them. I did check on an earlier Cadillac unit, but that thing has a set of "normal" brakes inside the wheel assembly that does the emergency/parking function and has nothing to do with the discs!

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Posted by: aircooledairhead ()
Date: November 18, 2020 03:20PM

The emergency brake stopped my Corsa when a brake line broke, fortunately at low speed.
I’ll stick with the mechanical linkage.
If I want a car with a computer and electronics controlling everything I’ll hop
in our Pacifica.
A big part of the Corvair’s charm is its relative simplicity. I drove over 150,000 miles in Corvairs and they were generally reliable and straightforward to repair.
New cars are also very reliable until the electronics go awry.
Like everything else it’s a personal choice. I prefer to leave Corvairs as they were designed and am fine driving a newer vehicle with electronic enhancements and controls.

Fred Gillam, southern SC coast
Former Corvairs from teens and 20's.
3 65 Corsa 180 convertibles
63 Spyder
66 Monza 110 PG, "Moldo"
65 Corsa 140
Currently helping son with 65 Monza 140 4-spd coupe

Posted by: Jim Stukenborg ()
Date: November 18, 2020 03:32PM

My wife's Caddie SRX has an electric parking brake. As a safety step, to apply the brake, one has to lift up on the switch. That way a person can't as easily apply the brake at the wrong time. Jim

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: November 18, 2020 03:52PM

oldqmguy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just a little curious! Looking for things to "update" during the "stay at home and play with your Corvair" pandemic!!! drinking smiley
>
> I want to 'clean up' the area under the dash and get rid of cables that rust, break, and sometimes get used for "GROUND" when you least expect it! eye popping smiley
>
> I have a "plan" that requires as much 'free room' as I can get. If I get anywhere close to making it work I will post it here! eye rolling smiley
>
> I have driven Corvairs since 1962 and have never needed to use the "Emergency Brake" for anything other than parking! tongue sticking out smiley
>
> The E-Stop unit uses a motor to pull in the brake cable, then locks it in place.
>
> Yes, you need a battery to release it! If the battery is dead, or you disconnect it you can not move the car. They (the manufacturer) thinks this is a good anti-theft point! hot smiley
>
> Anyway, it is something to keep me busy!!
>
> Heck, nobody did a Custom Instrument Panel like the one I got from Dakota Digital!
>
> Seth, I have heard of electric parking brakes for disc brakes but don't know anything about them. I did check on an earlier Cadillac unit, but that thing has a set of "normal" brakes inside the wheel assembly that does the emergency/parking function and has nothing to do with the discs!
>
> Dale cool smiley

I a big fan of its your car your choice, so give progress reports.

That being many years ago I used the hand brake to stop my Corvair, when the line over the tank blew out. Then make it safely home at slow speed with my two young kids in the car.

More recently a rusted line blew out on my full size Chevy van. The dual master cylinder was all but worthless with a well maintained brake system, other than a line that was in the frame were I couldn't see the rust. Same thing with my 2003 Silverado, started it on a cold morning, fast idle, put it in gear and took my mail box out, pedal to the floor dual system no help

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: bought1 ()
Date: November 18, 2020 04:00PM

Electric parking brea? Next things you know you guys will be replacing you ICE with an electric one!

Dave

Date: November 18, 2020 04:06PM

I hate the push button electric door latches they started putting in Corvettes.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Posted by: VairKing ()
Date: November 18, 2020 04:08PM

Bruce Weeks installed one in his V8 Corvair. I don’t know where he put the button.

Attachments:
Posted by: tony66 ()
Date: November 18, 2020 05:45PM

It seems to me this might be "ok" for a 4 speed car or a V8 car that uses an automatic with a "park" position, but if using it on a 2 speed powerglide that does NOT have a park position to lock the drivetrain, then what happens when the battery power is lost. Will the E stop keep pressure on the rear brakes?

Date: November 18, 2020 06:12PM

Yes, the e-stop will keep the brakes locked when there is no power

I have no problem doing this on a PG car.

I keep the Corvair in the garage,with the battery "maintained" and carry a Battery Pack when on the road.

I think that covers it!

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Posted by: Melb-Mike ()
Date: November 18, 2020 06:21PM

I made my own for my 70 Chevelle SS 396. My parking brake had the pedal up against the left kick panel. I wanted to have decent speakers in each kick panel in addition to the rear speakers. Since the pedal was in the way, I needed to get rid of it. I bought a 2” 12 VDC linear actuator on eBay for about $60. It has 250 lbs of pull. I mounted to the frame to pull on the existing emergency brake cable. I mounted a DPDT switch onto a small aluminum bracket installed where the parking brake release handle was. It works very well but I do wish actuation was a bit faster.

On both EM & LM cars with MT, in order to install EPAS, the parking brake lever needs to be removed. I installed EPAS on my greenbrier without needing to remove the parking brake but it had more room on the right side of the column than cars do.

By the way, even with a battery voltage level lower than needed to start the car, the actuator will still operate enough to release.

64 Greenbrier
64 Spyder (needs restoration)
65 Corsa 140, restored
66 Corsa turbo, restoring now
66 Corsa 140 "RR" code coupe fully restored
67 Pontiac GTO restored
69 Corvette 427 convertible restored
2015 Porsche Panamera S
2015 Corvette Z06
1965 AC Cobra (Factory Five)

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: November 18, 2020 09:31PM

I had my brakes done by the local Les Schwab. Two days later, the brakes went to the floor approaching a light. If I hadn't had a good parking brake I would have rear ended an SUV.

Went back to complain and it turned out that the tech had forgotten to tighten the lines, so I was losing fluid every time I stopped.

Yeah, I like the manual parking brake.

Eric C. Player, Porterville, CA, USA (Seriously! It's the USA out here!)
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club.
THEN:
1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow
1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW:
1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.