Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Putting distributer in motor
Posted by: btexpress5 ()
Date: November 17, 2020 02:05PM

Why does it matter if you are off a tooth or two if you have the timing marks lined up and the motor is on the mycompression stroke and the rotor is lined up with number one cylinder? Just as long as you have room to advance timing as required it seems to me it would not matter.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Putting distributer in motor
Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: November 17, 2020 02:18PM

Correct except for possible fan belt interference.

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 17, 2020 02:56PM

What Bob sez;

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: red monza ()
Date: November 17, 2020 05:09PM

Or the vacuum advance hitting the coil and not being able to adjust it but one direction.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: November 17, 2020 06:25PM

As long as you can move the distributor housing for the correct timing you are correct btexpress5

If you look at a number of brass drive gears that go on the crank you'll see the key slot to tooth relationship varied. GM made a long shaft with the key slot then cut "slices" to make the gears.

When emissions equipped engines came along the distributor did not have much room to adjust the timing and the drive gear timing became critical. That's when a new distributor drive gear came along with the key cut last so all the gears had the same tooth to key slot position.

O.K. I've spent too much time reading old Corvair books - LOL.

Posted by: AZ Troy ()
Date: November 17, 2020 09:00PM

30-40 years ago I helped a friend that installed his distributor 180 degrees off. Instead of pulling it & installing it correctly, I confirmed that #1 was at TDC & re-installed the plug wires starting with #1 wire at the location the rotor was pointing, not the location closest to the #1 cylinder. This was possible because it was a SBC with aftermarket wires.

I dont think he ever corrected it.

Troy G. / Scottsdale Arizona

'65 140 Corsa Coupe
'66 180 Corsa Coupe - Crown Converted in the '60's

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 17, 2020 09:08PM

No need to unless you think about the next mech.!!! GGG

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: November 18, 2020 04:37AM

You can surely reposition the wires to where the rotor is pointing for "YOUR" #1 position. The engine will run just fine with no issues.

Now what if someone just yanks the wires off to replace and they put them on in the correct manor with the #1 straight to the rear? The engine will NOT start. Been there done that! I always now verify where #1 plug wire is located.

When I see something like that it makes me wonder the competence of whomever worked on the engine, maybe they were just lazy?

If you adopt the reasoning, it is easier to do it right the first time rather than have to take it back apart to fix something you didn't do right, things just seem to go better.

My company motto is "Done Right The First Time". Those of you that have my business cards can attest to that!

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.