Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: FS 66 Corsa Coupe 140 W/Air
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: November 17, 2020 10:03AM

My 66 A/C Corsa has no smog tin.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 113 Corvairs and counting...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: November 18, 2020 02:11PM

From my experience, the easiest way to tell if A/C was factory installed vs dealer - (or after) installed is the cut out above the heater, etc. Control panel at the bottom of the dash face. There is a hoop at the bottom of the dash that goes over the control. The indicators in the Fisher Body build told the guys it would be an A/C car. Since the body was empty, and had no interior, they just took a torch and cut the hoop to clear the A/C controls - which are taller. Move it on down the line! At the dealer, you now have an almost complete interior in the car, with wires, rugs, etc. The dealer would cut the hoop away with a hacksaw - or a Sawzall. So, if you have nice, clean cuts, likely the dealer, hacked weld cuts, factory.

Posted by: alphasud ()
Date: November 18, 2020 02:44PM

I sent the owner a message yesterday kindly asking if he had a chance to take a picture of the build plate. He returned a grumpy answer so we will probably never know unless someone is close to look at it.

David North Idaho
1965 Corsa Turbo converted to 140
1971 Super Beetle with 2.5L Subaru engine
1965 Corsa mid engine project
1973 Mercedes 280 project

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: November 18, 2020 02:48PM

You would think at his asking price he would be somewhat pleasant and abiding.
Maybe in his mind grumpy is "pleasant and abiding". Some peoples children.

Posted by: flat_six ()
Date: November 18, 2020 02:53PM

alphasud Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I sent the owner a message yesterday kindly asking if he had a chance to take a picture of the build plate. He returned a grumpy answer so we will probably never know unless someone is close to look at it.

Well he states that it is a true Corsa but is unwilling to prove it (not even providing a VIN). So if anyone is interested, they can proceed with the assumption that it is a “Corsa” with A/C added. If this car is worth that price to the buyer, enjoy!

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: November 18, 2020 04:07PM

The hole below the distributor is not for the smog as the right side thermactor pipe (connected to the exhaust manifold) goes through a large hole at the rear of the right side shroud and not through the upper damper door below the distributor. As a matter of fact, I have seen a lot of 65-66 Corvair engines including my original 66 turbo that had the slot. I could never get an explanation as to why some engines had the slot and some didn't.

Lee J

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: November 18, 2020 05:31PM

gnvair Wrote:
> The hole below the distributor is not for the smog as the right side thermactor pipe (connected to the exhaust manifold) goes through a large hole at the rear of the right side shroud and not through the upper damper door below the distributor.

Picture in the parts book does not agree with you. Two pipes go down; one as you describe; the other thru hole under the distributor.

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: November 18, 2020 05:33PM

alphasud Wrote:
> I sent the owner a message yesterday kindly asking if he had a chance to take a picture of the build plate. He returned a grumpy answer so we will probably never know unless someone is close to look at it.

If he knows the ad is posted / linked here, he is probably not thrilled with our commentary.

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: November 18, 2020 06:58PM

RobertC Wrote:
If he knows the ad is posted / linked here, he is probably not thrilled with our commentary.

If he's mad he's just gonna have to get glad. All that's required is for him to provide information to substantiate his claims. I would think he would expect nothing less if he were a buyer.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: November 18, 2020 07:26PM

Wagon Master Wrote:
> RobertC Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> If he knows the ad is posted / linked here, he is probably not thrilled with our commentary.
>
>
> If he's mad he's just gonna have to get glad. All that's required is for him to provide information to substantiate his claims. I would think he would expect nothing less if he were a buyer.

I fully agree.
The more a person is resistive to providing information, the less the information that IS provided, is trusted.
What is that popular term used now-a-days?
Oh yeah, Transparency. eye rolling smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: November 18, 2020 07:36PM

Lee that slot is for the pipe that goes to the right manifold from the smog pump. The hole that you are talking about is for the pressure regulator for the smog pump. In the 1st design smog systems ('66 thru mid '67) that large round hole was on the left side shroud and then sometime during '67 when the system was changed and used a diverter valve the hole was moved to the right side shroud.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: November 18, 2020 09:35PM

Spectre
there also does not appear to have ever been a fast idle solenoid on the fan shroud. Still nothing wrong with the AC being installed by a dealer or PO. You just can't claim the rarity of a factory AC Corsa.

My car was missing the fast idle solenoid, but it DID have a nice hole in the fan shroud were the solenoid was mounted - LOL.

My 66 95 HP factory AC 4 door has no solenoid nor mounting holes in the shroud because the previous owner had what 66 describes, a large hole in the shroud, so he replaced it and never got around to mounting the solenoid. He did give it to me, and I have not mounted it yet....Ha!grinning smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: November 19, 2020 03:28AM

flat_six Wrote:
> Well he states that it is a true Corsa but is unwilling to prove it (not even providing a VIN).

I posted above that I can see the VIN enough to know it looks like a legit 66 Corsa coupe. I can read 107376W and also see the correct roset rivets in place.

The lack of a fast idle solenoid, tilt switch, spare tire hold down and routing of the green compressor wire hint heavily towards A/C that was not installed at the factory.

Telescopic wheel and AM/FM would be nice goodies to have.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Attachments:
Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: November 19, 2020 06:29AM

I have several complete smog engines and had to check again. Here is a 69 110 I recently pulled.

Lee J

Attachments:
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.