Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Starter fun
Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: November 17, 2020 06:10PM

J.O. is correct about the "PULL IN" second solenoid winding. It ONLY conducts amperage until the solenoid contact plate supplies power to the starter armature - or a very short time. HOWEVER - during that short time while the solenoid is moving the it is using a whooping 42-49 Amperes!!

That's a considerable load on the ignition key and 12 gauge purple wire, but works fine if the ignition switch, contacts, and wiring are good.

The use of the Ford solenoid was to by-pass the ignition key and wiring back to the solenoid and I would use a 10 gauge wire. That white wire you showed didn't look up to the job.

Just me, but I think the Ford solenoid is a patch fix that is not needed if the vehicles wiring, connections, and ignition switch are good.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: November 17, 2020 07:11PM

Joel
My question is why not only use the Ford solenoid to switch the purple wire?

That is how is it supposed to be wired. Remove purple wire from GM solenoid, put on activate (coil) terminal of added relay. Wire the power contacts of the new solenoid: one contact to battery and the other contact to the S terminal of the GM solenoid.

Or just clean all the connections of the original circuit. winking smiley

Yes, I did this crutch fix on my own 62 van instead of doing it right....sad smiley

But never a customer vehicle.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: November 17, 2020 07:34PM

It actually was wired correctly but I've seen that "fix" done incorrectly. It seems like a lot more work than fixing it correctly to me.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 113 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: November 20, 2020 06:15AM

The relays I use are of the 30/40A variety you can get most anywhere. They are a small amp draw so there is no load on the starter switch along with the long wire voltage drop.

You can always just get a battery cable end and shorten the wire, or you can get a battery ring terminal and put it on that end. There are several good ones out there.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: November 20, 2020 10:31AM

It seems like those relays might be at the limit of their capacity. They have worked fine for you?
I do need to get some cable ends since I have a crimper already.
Thanks Ken!

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 113 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: November 20, 2020 03:19PM

I use them in the race car for the starter and also main power but I'm not running anything but ignition and a couple of gauges. I have also installed, for the same purpose, a relay for the starter in Charles Moss's car when I did all the wiring.

This is one relay, Summit Racing Relay

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2020 03:21PM by vairmech.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.