Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
95 HP Distributor
Posted by: iceking888 ()
Date: November 13, 2020 04:17PM

Hey all,

Do you have to change the distributor when switching 140hp heads to 95hp heads? This was originally a 95hp car, but before I bought it, someone put 140hp heads on it. To tell you the truth, I don't know if they even changed the distributor to begin with.

1964 Monza Sedan 110 HP Auto

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 95 HP Distributor
Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: November 13, 2020 04:56PM

For starters I would get number from distributor in the car and check the FAQ here.

We all realize anything can be inside but it might give a hint. My example would be that IF number is 1110339 then it is probably the correct 140/pg distributor. If number differs then it is look up time.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: November 13, 2020 11:33PM

To match numbers in FAQs:

In addition to part number stamped on side of dist housing:

Stamped number on dist cam and dist plate / shaft

Spring and weights are identified by shape.

It is possible that a rebuilt / remanufactured distributor will have “reman” stamped on housing.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: November 14, 2020 04:30AM

But you should start with the distributor number. Some have an initial setting of about 6 degrees and some have an initial setting of about 14 degrees.

The distributor number is on the outside of the body, counter-clockwise from the vacuum advance and clockwise from where the wire comes out going to the coil. It's like 1110xxx, it's only the last 3 numbers that mean anything like 319 or 311...

The 95 HP engine must be different than the 64 110 PG in your signature line.

It would be good to have the crankcase suffix and head numbers to identify your entire package. 64 crankcases can be tricky because they kept some of the same suffixes from 63.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: November 14, 2020 06:12AM

I guess I should have mentioned that its not the 64 in my signature line, its a 1967 500.

Posted by: Jonathan Knapp ()
Date: November 14, 2020 09:12PM

I liked the 95 HP distributor in my 140. With my 10 to 1 compression, it would ping a bit at heavy loads and low rpms. The 95 HP distributor centrifugal advance doesn't come all in until 4200 rpm. With the 140 HP distributor it is all in at 2800 rpm. The 95 HP also uses less initial advance. Made a big difference for me.

Jonathan Knapp
Wheeling, WV
'66 Corsa Autocrosser

Date: November 17, 2020 06:26AM

Can someone answer the my original question if I need to change the distributor if I am changing the 140hp heads to 95hp heads?

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: November 17, 2020 06:36AM

No. No you do not HAVE to.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: November 17, 2020 06:55AM

iceking888 wrote"

"Do you have to change the distributor when switching 140hp heads to 95hp heads? This was originally a 95hp car, but before I bought it, someone put 140hp heads on it. To tell you the truth, I don't know if they even changed the distributor to begin with."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think we have been trying to answer your original question by determining what distributor you have. I gave directions for finding the number.

Of course who's to say they didn't change other things than the heads. But then there I go straying from the original question again.

I could comment on compatibility given the crankcase suffix and distributor number. You could then take it or leave it. Any distributor will work it's just some will work better than others.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.