Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: WTB 95 HP heads for my UV
Posted by: owen ()
Date: November 18, 2020 12:25PM

Jim,
The gentleman from Hayward was Glenn Lemke, he designed and built completely new suspension components front and rear for #247. Gary #420 helped a lot in the final push to get #247 on the road, and Glenn did get to ride in the coach before he passed. Glenn's son now has the coach and is finishing up with paint etc.
https://youtu.be/p_oR0Hqjp4E

The MN coach I think you are referring to was #327, now in PA (currently at the Corvair Ranch).

Both these coaches had the "standard" UltraVan suspension which uses modified LM trailing arms, relocates the shocks ahead of the wheel, omits the lower strut rods, and adds slip joints to the driveshafts.

As you can see from the pics, the "leading arm" suspension on Tom's #211 is pretty much unmodified except the strut rods and driveshafts are extended a bit. And of course it is mounted backwards.

#211 was the last of about 8 leading arm coaches built in 1965. Obviously coaches built in 1964 and prior used the EM rear suspension, only modified by adding ornamental dually wheels to fill out the wheel wells.

#211 was also the last UltraVan to use the Ford Econoline headlight bezels.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2020 12:33PM by owen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FOUND!! 95 HP heads for my UV
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: November 19, 2020 06:18AM

Interesting. Is leading arm tough on the "trailing arm" bushing or is a road shock like experienced in a pothole about the same either way?

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Re: FOUND!! 95 HP heads for my UV
Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: November 19, 2020 07:15AM

I would think over time compared to standard orientation that the bushing in this orientation would have more stress on it. As for "feel" not sure yet, just drove it onto trailer and around my yard. Will no next spring when I put it on the road to work out any kinks in drivetrain/suspension before tackling other items.

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block (Sold)
86' BMW 325es
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo
67' UltraVan 211 "Violet"
NFCC, UMCC
Grand Island, NY

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.