Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Floor Pans for 1960 Corvair
Posted by: Wal ()
Date: November 11, 2020 08:05PM

Hi, new member here. smiling smiley I have a 2dr 60 Corvair, what's left of one that is, that I'm working on getting back on the road. When I got it the first time I sat in the front seat it fell through the floor and what was left of the floor was on the ground in a tangled mess. I'm looking to fabricate new pieces and weld them in but I can't seem to find any measurements or templates for me to use, and I can't make my own simply because the floor is non-existent. I know there's pre-made floor pans out there but they only cover like where you put your feet, which would be nice if I had anything for these panels to be welded to (pics attached). I even found a video by Wesley Garrard (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYR8pgMCUxI&t=124s) doing what I want to do, but he has a wagon (I don't know if those floor pans are different) and he only showed the templates in the videos no measurements or anything for reference. Does anyone have measurements or even templates I can have/use? Thanks a bunch grinning smiley

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Floor Pans for 1960 Corvair
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 11, 2020 08:32PM

Welcome to the CCF! Tell us where you are located...someone nearby may have a '60 to measure!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Vairismo ()
Date: November 11, 2020 10:54PM

Wonder if davemotohead has any 1960s out at the ranch? Original donor pans from the left coast would be a good option IMO.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: November 12, 2020 12:28AM

WELCOME TO CCF ! ! !
What is the condition of the rest of the car?
From the first picture, it looks pretty rough.
I am not trying to be mean, but if it is as bad as it looks, I think your best action would be to remove the 1960 nose and graft it onto any decent '61-'64 that you can find.
Sure, your car CAN be restored, but to say that the effort will be COLOSSAL, would be a HUGE understatement ! ! !
If you are simply trying to build a driver quality rat-rod, then it begins to look like a more feasible project.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: November 12, 2020 12:28AM

Clark's Corvair Parts (and other Corvair vendors?) sell replacement floor panels.

Do not know if they cover the total area you cut out, but it would be a starting point.

Unless you are set on doing your construction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2020 12:29AM by RobertC.

Date: November 12, 2020 07:24AM

I'm in Eastern Long Island NY. And I'm just looking to make a drivable rat rod. It looks really rough but its only got 43k miles and it runs and drives.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2020 07:25AM by Wal.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: November 12, 2020 11:31AM

thumbs up
In that case, the floor can pretty much take what ever shape you want it to.
The biggest critical factor will be placement of the shifter base.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Posted by: anthony 259 ()
Date: November 12, 2020 05:04PM

I am working on a 63, and have the interior, and rug out of it. I am willing to take some pictures, and measure whatever you want.

But I agree with American Mel, the floor can take whatever shape you want. I would pick up an inexpensive bead roller to add some rigidity to the floor pans you fabricate

Date: November 12, 2020 05:53PM

I already have a bead roller which is another reason I would like to do this myself vs buying premade panels. And could you do that Anthony? Anything and everything you can take a picture of and measure would be great.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: November 12, 2020 06:24PM

Eastern LI, isn't that big buck real estate land, bet you neighbors will love seeing a rat rod running around.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Date: November 12, 2020 07:26PM

jjohnsonjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Eastern LI, isn't that big buck real estate land, bet you neighbors will love seeing a rat rod running around.

They sure will. Although there's already a few running around.

Posted by: anthony 259 ()
Date: November 13, 2020 02:53AM

I can take and send those pictures, and measurements my next day off, Monday. My floors are not pristine, I'm in the northeast, and they have been patched. They do retain the original contour.

PM with a email, that way I can send them directly from my phone

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: November 13, 2020 02:55PM

American Mel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WELCOME TO CCF ! ! !
> .
> What is the condition of the rest of the car?
> From the first picture, it looks pretty rough.
> I am not trying to be mean, but if it is as bad as it looks, I think your best action would be to remove the 1960 nose and graft it onto any decent '61-'64 that you can find.
> Sure, your car CAN be restored, but to say that the effort will be COLOSSAL, would be a HUGE understatement ! ! !
> If you are simply trying to build a driver quality rat-rod, then it begins to look like a more feasible project.

X2,

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: November 14, 2020 02:58AM

Only 3000 miles away. smiling bouncing smileysmiling bouncing smileysmiling bouncing smiley

[losangeles.craigslist.org]

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: November 14, 2020 06:24PM

Only 70 miles way from me and I could use it. But I have no way of getting it home.

I've seen that floor before. It has been around a while. I wish people would post an asking price. Does he want $50 for it because he needs to get rid of it..., or does he want $500 because he dreams it is worth at least that??? I hate making the call where there can be that huge gap between their price. . ., and my hope. You politely decline and they abruptly hang up.

Posted by: FoiledAgain ()
Date: November 20, 2020 11:13AM

Is that a 500 series? Wow. Nice to see another '60 coupe.
Mine is also a rat and came with Flintstone floors.

Take heart, you can make floors out of Whateverium. My '60 coupe's floors are made from the following: Speed Queen, Maytag and Kenmore, with a bit of Frigidaire. The older the better, old appliances seem to be made of decently thick, 16 to 18 gauge stuff. I did mine one section at a time, using tagboard or poster board to make patterns. Only hard cost was MIG wire, Argon/CO2 and electricity.

As has been pointed out, the shifter placement is the critical matter. I lucked out, there was just enough parent metal around the shifter to incorporate into the new sections. The hard part was forming the bottom of the rear-seat/bulkhead area. I don't have a bead roller, slip roller or brake so an old cast iron table saw top came in very handy, and I used the miter slot to pound in stiffening beads. None of the bulkhead pieces I replaced had any factory primer on the backside, not that it would have mattered.

Seal your welds liberally with seam sealer and/or metal flashing sealant, and while you are at Lowe's or Home Despot picking up the sealant, get several rolls of Peel'n'Seal roofing patch, and that will give you waterproof floors so it will last. Don't laugh, after I finished my floor a raging storm blew through, and the interior got wet but the water just sat there, the floor is watertight.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.