Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Ultrasonic Cleaner vs The Dip
Posted by: rlp11 ()
Date: November 10, 2020 05:41PM

Well I was very skeptical of Ultrasonic Cleaners, but I have heard a lot about them here on the forum. So with the 20% off anything coupon at HF I bought the 2.5L Ultrasonic cleaner. Set it up with a 50/50 mix of Simple green and water turned on the heat cycle and let it go. With only an eight min timer you have to reset it many times. But after about 35 min with heat it had cleaned that carburetor so clean you can eat off of it, and only 35 min. And I used a very dirty and gunged up carb. I was so impressed I went out and bought a 15L unit because I have about 35 carbs to rebuild. I’ll use the little one for small carb parts and the big one for carb bodys and tops. And it smells nice. No more parts dip for me.

Roger Parent
El Cajon, CA
1964 Monza Driver
1964 Monza Project

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ultrasonic Cleaner vs The Dip
Posted by: azdave ()
Date: November 10, 2020 06:19PM

A trick many people don't know is that you can save on cleaning solution by filling the tank with only water and then put smaller parts inside a Ziploc bag with the cleaner sealed inside the bag too. That uses a lot less cleaning solution and allows you to change the solution more easily if you part is really filthy. Heat is a big contribution to the cleaning process too. I set it at 110-120F usually. Hotter than that and I end up burning myself. smiling smiley

I have started using Simple Green Aviation formula which is safe for aluminum parts, especially for polished aluminum parts that you don't want to dull. For parts like carb bodies with a less critical appearance (not polished), regular Simple Green or Oil Eater has worked well for me. Required time in the ultrasonic bath will vary with the wattage of the unit of course.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: November 10, 2020 06:25PM

Thanks Dave, I'll have to try the bag trick. Changing several gallons of cleaner at a time can get expensive.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 113 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: November 10, 2020 06:39PM

I have good luck with Simple Green aircraft. I tried to use some solvent in it a few years back. It did not absorb heat from the heating element as fast as water based cleaners and burnt it out. I replaced the heater and only use water base cleaners now.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: Rcavictor ()
Date: November 11, 2020 04:14AM

“filling the tank with only water and then put smaller parts inside a Ziploc bag with the cleaner sealed inside the bag too”

AWESOME idea! I would guess this would work well with the larger parts as well..

Thanks for the tip. Just bought my ALLSTAR Ultrasonic Cleaner through JEGS, looking forward to doing my 140 carbs
[www.jegs.com]

Rob
Ocklawaha FL

'66 Monza Coupe 4spd 140, Regal Red
‘64 Spyder Coupe
'64 Monza convertible 4spd w/'66 180hp turbo, Daytona Blue
'62 Greenbrier 8-door, 'very patinaed' Crystal Turquoise Blue

Attachments:
Date: November 11, 2020 04:39AM

joelsplace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'll have to try the bag trick. Changing several gallons of cleaner at a time can get expensive.

Yup. I've even cleaned some small spray gun parts that way. I put them in a bag with about three ounces of lacquer thinner. Burped out most of the air and set it to clean for 10 minutes. Worked great, wasted very little thinner and I felt was very low risk when using the thinner in that manner. Use this trick at your own risk of course and do not heat the water much if at all. You don't want boiling solvent to burst the plastic bag. Some common solvents can boil around 110-120F.

65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: November 11, 2020 07:01AM

Lacquer thinner doesn't dissolve a plastic bag? I guess I never tried it.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: November 11, 2020 07:45AM

JimBrandberg Wrote:
> Lacquer thinner doesn't dissolve a plastic bag? I guess I never tried it.

Nope. Not a standard Ziploc baggie but maybe one of them import sandwich bags. smiling smiley

65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: November 11, 2020 10:17AM

AZ Dave writes: Nope. Not a standard Ziploc baggie but maybe one of them import sandwich bags.

So Seth writes:

I'm safe. I never buy imported sandwiches! - I will try the baggy trick, though!

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: Chris Lampe ()
Date: November 11, 2020 10:25AM

Dave thanks for the Baggie tip. I can honestly say this is one of the best tips I've seen on CCF.smileys with beer

Chris
Rowlett, Tx
NTCA - North Texas Corvair Association
CORSA
'64 Monza 'vert

Date: November 11, 2020 12:20PM

Chris Lampe Wrote:
> Dave thanks for the Baggie tip. I can honestly say this is one of the best tips I've seen on CCF.smileys with beer

Wish I could take the credit but I saw it mentioned elsewhere and gave it a try. Worked for me. I like the huge tank on my cleaner (almost 8 gallons) and the cleaning power but I didn't like filling it with some much cleaner. Now I mostly do "bagged" cleaning and only fill it to about 5 gallons so one bucket is all I need when it is time to open the drain valve.

65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Date: November 15, 2020 10:13AM

I had a PM asking if a Corvair head would fit inside a 30-liter ultrasonic cleaner. I haven't actually cleaned one in mine yet but it does fit even if you use the basket. Without the basket you have about another 1/2" of interior room.

Pics show the head and my roller cart for ultrasonic or heated cleaning. The bigger ultrasonic units have a drain valve which is handy.

65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2020 10:14AM by azdave.

Attachments:

Posted by: Jim Stukenborg ()
Date: November 20, 2020 11:44AM

Are Ultrasonic cleaners primarily for baked on hard stuff or will they work with oily stuff? With oily parts will they work better than a regular solvent tank with a fluid pump? Jim

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: November 20, 2020 11:48AM

Jim Stukenborg Wrote:
> Are Ultrasonic cleaners primarily for baked on hard stuff or will they work with oily stuff? With oily parts will they work better than a regular solvent tank with a fluid pump? Jim

Jim -

I have a small ultrasonic bath, running Simple Green (regular) and a Graymills Parts washer (pump and brush) running solvent.

I can get parts significantly cleaner in the ultrasonic tank that are oily, baked on, etc.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Posted by: kenzen ()
Date: November 20, 2020 05:50PM

I use a stainless steel tea ball for the small parts.
Ken

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: November 20, 2020 05:54PM

In my experience the softer stuff doesn't seem to be affected by the ultrasonic cleaner. It seems to be a little hit or miss. Some dirt will almost explode off the part instantly and other grime just sits there.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 113 Corvairs and counting...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.