Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Info on Kelmark rear window scoop
Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: November 05, 2020 03:33PM

Dreaming of pairing Kevin Nash's new fan with a desert air set up to improve cooling. Kevin reminded me of the poor placement of the air intake grill on late models (as well as Phil's aerodynamics modelling), and I wondered if anyone with experience using the old Kelmark rear window scoop could relate their experiences? Any improvement in cooling? V-8, V-6, or Corvair 6? Hope Cody Hurley doesn't mind me using photos of his father's car for illustration? Old Clark catalog offering shown at bottom of that page. TKALP had one listed in an old, old link, sent a PM to him. TIA, Scott.

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa basket case
'66 Monza coupe
[corvaircenter.com]

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Info on Kelmark rear window scoop
Posted by: troy.w ()
Date: January 09, 2021 10:42AM

It looks like this thread never got much play. I'm thinking of putting scoops on an EM in the same location.

Has anyone seen this done? Seems like a "cool" idea..

Troy

Troy Ward
Albuquerque, NM
'64 Spyder Coupe

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 09, 2021 11:06AM

Air needs to be "scooped" in the middle area of the engine lid, that's the "hi-pressure" area.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: dwitklap ()
Date: January 11, 2021 06:27PM

Hey Mr. Matt here's a stoopid question for ya- by "middle area of the engine lid" do you mean middle as from left to right or from front to rear or both? im soooo confoosed....

Dwight Klapper Phoenix, Arizona

1966 Corsa Turbo "TFC" SCTA #3918 E/CPS
1988 Yamaha RZ350 SCTA #2918 350 M-G
1989 Honda TRX250R "Bob's"
2004 Kawasaki KX250M2
1951 Dodge B1B Pickup Fully Unrestored

Posted by: 61SuperMonza ()
Date: January 11, 2021 07:41PM

With a EM I would look for scoops like the Bill Thomas car. I have always thought they looked great. The problem is you never see them.
They give the car a real performance look. I would love a pair for my 61.

Date: January 11, 2021 07:56PM

dwitklap Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Mr. Matt here's a stoopid question for ya- by "middle area of the engine lid" do you mean middle as from left to right or from front to rear or both? im soooo confoosed....

Hi Dwight,
Kevin Nash did extensive testing on airflow around a Corvair in this study. There's also info on the scoop used for Greg Lloyd's Bonneville racer.

[corvaircenter.com]

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa basket case
'66 Monza coupe
[corvaircenter.com]

Date: January 11, 2021 08:04PM

61SuperMonza Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>With a EM I would look for scoops like the Bill Thomas car. I have always thought they looked great. The problem is you never see them. They give the car a real performance look. I would love a pair for my 61.

For you and Troy, American Mel found a marine supplier that had something similar to the Thomas scoops, Beckson Marine. Look at page 2 of the link.

[corvaircenter.com]

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa basket case
'66 Monza coupe
[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: artinva ()
Date: January 11, 2021 08:48PM

I wonder if something similar to that Kelmark rear window scoop, or those deflectors used on old station wagons to "blow" air across the rear window were placed at the rear of the the roof on a LM to "deflect" air down across the back window and into the the air intake grille at the base of the back glass might be helpful.
Something along those lines is sometimes used on modern cars. If it caught any air, it would also help keep the rear glass clean/dry.
IDK.

Date: January 12, 2021 11:49AM

Art,
I had a picture of a Kelmark V-8 car that used the roof spoiler/deflector you mention, but I can't find it.

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa basket case
'66 Monza coupe
[corvaircenter.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.