Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Help with LM wheels and tires
Posted by: jgalfo ()
Date: November 01, 2020 02:08PM

I need help with wheels and tires for my 66 Monza vert, I want to replace the mags I have now which are wrong for the car, and I need to know what fits.

I am thinking about 14", 15" or 16" wheels with 5 bolt pattern and 4.75" spacing, what I don't know is what is the correct back spacing or offset for each wheel size and what is the corresponding tire size for each size wheel.

suggestions on where to purchase them too

all input welcome

thanks in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with LM wheels and tires
Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: November 01, 2020 02:43PM

As I understand it, the width of wheel you are considering will make a big difference in Backspacing needs versus offset as well as tire size.

A 7" wide wheel is popular with a 4-1/2" back spacing which corresponds to a +12 or +13 offset and a 195/60/15 tire should work well.

If you go with a 15X6 wheel, you can probably get away with a 4" backspacing and I think that might correspond to a +6 offset but I could be wrong. It might even be a Zero offset for that wheel width. There are conversion tools out there that have been referenced on this site previously.

The late model speedometer is looking for about 827-829 revolutions per mile which is about 25" in diameter.
IF you go with a wide tire there is a risk of rubbing the fenders when turning.
If you go with a smaller diameter tire, your speedometer will read faster.

Try using the search feature available on the site and you may find multiple topics over the years with multiple opinions.

I have a set of 15X7 wheels on my 1965 convertible with a 3-7/8" or maybe 4" backspacing and a 205/65/15 tire that are 25.4" in diameter and turn 817 revolutions per mile. I made an error on tire size with the wheel offset I have and the tires rub sometimes. Even though I went with a larger diameter tire, the speedometer still reads a little fast which tells me the calibration is most likely off after 55 years.

Do your research and don't hurry.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2020 02:47PM by Caraholic4life.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: November 01, 2020 06:01PM

'82-'92 Z-28/RS wheels. 15x7 fit perfect but you need longer studs.
They are super cheap also. I've bought 4 or 5 sets under $80 but the center caps are about $80. That's why mine don't have any.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 113 Corvairs and counting...

Attachments:
Posted by: gwrench ()
Date: November 02, 2020 02:14PM

[autoxer.skiblack.com]

I find a lot of stuff on craigslist, that's where I would look. Keep an open mind when you're browsing, a lot of sellers don't know the details of what they have and may have it wrong.

5x120 wheels for BMW fit fine. I'm very happy with the ones I found but I did put in longer studs. These are 16" with 215/55/R16 tires. I don't know the backspacing.

Dale
Loveland, Colorado

1965 Monza 140 barn find

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2020 02:16PM by gwrench.

Attachments:
Date: November 02, 2020 04:30PM

thank you for that great information

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: November 06, 2020 02:49PM

I just ran across the following chart information on another site I frequent and thought it might be of some use to many here.
After seeing it, I did a search and am posting a link for the original cource to give credit where it is due.[codygcarson.blogspot.com]

Keep in mind for a "Late" Corvair the ideal maximum backspacing as I understand it is 4-1/2" but the offset number varies depending on the wheel width which can get confusing very fast. This chart may help sort out what will work or maybe not.

I enlarged the photo 150% from the original size to make it easier to read even if it may be a little blurry as a result.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Attachments:
Posted by: jamesolefjensen ()
Date: November 09, 2020 02:55PM

I suggest looking into 16" wheels. The look isn't too modern and there are endless options for 205/55 and 225/50 since these are the factory tires for 911 Carreras and Ferrari 308/328's. The diameter is spot on for my 65 speedometer and probably close enough for the later models.

Offset is tricky so it's best if I don't weight in on that. There are plenty here on this forum who can set you straight.

For visuals:

[bringatrailer.com]

James
65 Corsa
SF Bay Area

Attachments:
Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: November 09, 2020 03:06PM

I have 14 inch in the front, and 15 in the back, with smaller and bigger tires, respectively. I used the chart above and then bought some wheels on Amazon.

Eric C. Player, Porterville, CA, USA (Seriously! It's the USA out here!)
MEMBER: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, Vintage CORSA, Sfba CORSA, and the San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club.
THEN:
1965 Monza 110, Canary Yellow
1965 Corsa 180 Turbo, Red
1966 Monza 110, Purple
1967 Monza 140, Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW:
1966 Corsa 180 Turbo, Blue; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"He cautioned me not to take notes. It would not have helped if I had, as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

Attachments:
Date: November 10, 2020 01:59PM

Discount tires sold me a set of 16" wheels and tires 215-60-16, I have not gotten them yet but I'll keep everyone posted. I found one of my Cragar wheels was bent

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 10, 2020 04:12PM

What SIZE 16"inch wheels. Rim width.....Offset.... backspace???

You are not helping us. help others.. in the future....

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: November 10, 2020 05:53PM

playerpage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have 14 inch in the front, and 15 in the back, with smaller and bigger tires, respectively. I used the chart above and then bought some wheels on Amazon.

That is known as running "Big & Little's". thumbs up winking smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: November 11, 2020 03:04PM

I'm running 14" on my project car, along with 205-70R14 tires. They are just a half inch shorter and a half inch wider than the original 7.00-13 tires. Thus the car looks like it should, as the designers intended, and lets its inherent beautiful styling shine. I prefer a classic, "near-stock" look, even if the car is a custom.

I prefer keeping wheels on a Corvair to a maximum of about 15" (16" is pushing it, and would depend on the wheel look) as anything bigger and the wheel starts to overwhelm and lose the car's beautiful, classic styling. I've always said that large wheels are an attempt to cover up bad styling (or a lack thereof). That's why modern cars have HUGE wheels, as most of the new cars are ugly.

One set of Camaro wheels I've also used are the Berlinetta wheels. They bolt on, look great, and are 14 x 6 with the right offset.

-Mark

Date: November 11, 2020 06:13PM

67 airvair Wrote:
> I'm running 14" on my project car, along with 205-70R14 tires. They are just a half inch shorter and a half inch wider than the original 7.00-13 tires. Thus the car looks like it should, as the designers intended, and lets its inherent beautiful styling shine. I prefer a classic, "near-stock" look, even if the car is a custom.
>
> I prefer keeping wheels on a Corvair to a maximum of about 15" blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
>
> -Mark

THAT, is exactly why I like to run the 15" Rallye Wheel.
Being a "Factory" Chevy wheel, they can pass as stock, while giving you a slightly larger rim.
They Appear 100% stock to anyone but a Corvair aficionado.

'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Posted by: jamesolefjensen ()
Date: November 11, 2020 07:48PM

jamesolefjensen Wrote:
> I suggest looking into 16" wheels. The look isn't too modern and there are endless options for 205/55 and 225/50 since these are the factory tires for 911 Carreras and Ferrari 308/328's. The diameter is spot on for my 65 speedometer and probably close enough for the later models.
>
> Offset is tricky so it's best if I don't weight in on that. There are plenty here on this forum who can set you straight.
>
> For visuals:
>
> [bringatrailer.com]

To follow up on my wheels and tires:

Wheel Vintiques 16x7 front and 16x8 rear. Front backspacing is 5" and the rear is 5.25".

If I did it over again, I go with 4.5" back spacing on the front and sacrifice some offset for better aesthetics. The rear backspacing can't be any greater; the threads on the lateral "link" are very close to the tire.

James
65 Corsa
SF Bay Area

Attachments:
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: November 11, 2020 09:32PM

I like the rigidity of cast aluminum wheels and the smoothness that comes with less run out.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 113 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: November 12, 2020 05:41AM

American Mel Wrote:
THAT, is exactly why I like to run the 15" Rallye Wheel.
Being a "Factory" Chevy wheel, they can pass as stock, while giving you a slightly larger rim.

That's pretty much exactly why I went with the 15X7 4.5" backspace rally wheel. As stated in another thread though, I was disappointed I couldn't run 205-60-15's on the front like a lot of others do.

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: November 12, 2020 07:34AM

Indeed, Mel and Wagonmaster. I've always though that it would have been nice had GM offered at least one larger size tire upgrade for the LM's. I'd have started with the 14" rally in flat black with flat hubcap for the 500's and with the chrome trim rings on a silver wheel for the Monza. Chevy offered a number of other nice looking wheels in both 14 and 15 inch sizes that would have made a great addition to the option list.

The nice thing now is that we can do so without harming an otherwise stock car, because they are simple bolt-ons.

-Mark

Posted by: Jim Stukenborg ()
Date: November 13, 2020 12:51PM

John, I'm running 1980's Camaro 15" x 7" aluminum wheels on my 66 coupe. Front tires are 205x60-R15 and the rears are 235x60-15. I had to shave the fender lip a little in two spots on the rear. A better choice would have been 225's on the rear. I replaced the Corvair lug bolts with older pre-metric Corvette lug bolts due to the thicker aluminum wheels. They are the same diameter but the Vettes are 3/8"to 1/2" longer. Jim

Attachments:
Date: November 13, 2020 10:30PM

Wagon Master Wrote:
> American Mel Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> THAT, is exactly why I like to run the 15" Rallye Wheel.
> Being a "Factory" Chevy wheel, they can pass as stock, while giving you a slightly larger rim.
>
>
> That's pretty much exactly why I went with the 15X7 4.5" backspace rally wheel. As stated in another thread though, I was disappointed I couldn't run 205-60-15's on the front like a lot of others do.

I have no problem running 205/60/15's, but that may be because my rims are 1967Corvette Rallye Wheels.
I have been told by the smart guys on here, that they are not correct for a Corvair, because the Backspace is wrong by .5" grinning smiley

'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Posted by: Davidjaime ()
Date: November 14, 2020 05:46AM

You can use the popular 205/55/16 size. Are you in need of seasonal tires or winter tires?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.