Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Brake Issue
Posted by: Garth ()
Date: October 31, 2020 12:03PM

I have been working on a 65 Corvair brakes. Changed master cylinder and cylinders on 2 rear brakes. Bled the right rear with no problem. Can't get left rear to bleed yet have fluid at connection where line connects to cylinder in brake. Front brakes bled fine. Why can't I get anything through left rear bleeder valve? What does this indicate?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Brake Issue
Date: October 31, 2020 12:47PM

Do you have fluid PRESSURE at that connection?
Seepage will slowly allow a bit of fluid to show up, but of course it's pressure that makes the wheel cylinder function.

Check the bleeder valve if you are re-using it. I've found them completely clogged with corrosion.
I've also see brake rubber hoses chocked down and also damaged internally to create a "one way valve" when under pressure that will allow fluid to slowly pass but will not allow fluid under pressure to move.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 Corsa 140 Coupe ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Convertible Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza Spyder Convertible ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 CoupeEvening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2020 12:47PM by 1966-Corsa-GT-180.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 31, 2020 01:13PM

Sounds like the STEELline on the arm is plugged.

Start at the TEE and work outward.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Garth ()
Date: October 31, 2020 04:01PM

Thanks for your thoughts. I am using a new bleeder valve that came with the new cylinder. So I get fluid when I loosen the steel line connection but nothing through the bleeder valve. So I took the drum off the wheel and when I pumped the brake I got fluid through the bleeder valve. Are the pads too tight to the drum?

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: October 31, 2020 04:07PM

The bleeder hole in the new wheel cylinder bleed hole may not be drilled all the way through.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: October 31, 2020 04:36PM

You say you changed wheel cylinders. How about the brake hoses? They are known to break down internally and block flow.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: October 31, 2020 09:13PM

Garth
So I took the drum off the wheel and when I pumped the brake I got fluid through the bleeder valve. Are the pads too tight to the drum?

Second part first, No, the shoes (unless you installed disc brakes, you do not have pads) are not too tight to the drum. That only makes the wheel impossible to turn, the hydraulics still work fine.

Back to the first part. You didn't get any fluid out of the bleeder and all you did was took the drum off and got fluid out of the bleeder valve? confused smiley Something is not logical! Did you still get fluid out of the bleeder when you put the drum back on?

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: November 01, 2020 07:51AM

Swap bleeders between the new cylinders and try it.

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: November 01, 2020 02:02PM

The only thing that makes sense with having the drums off is that one or both of the pistons are in backwards and are blocking the bleeder hole because the seal is in too far.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 01, 2020 02:56PM

Good thought JO!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.