Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Cab light
Posted by: Eido ()
Date: October 20, 2020 11:47AM

Last night I noticed - for the first time - that my 95 Rampside has a cab light. Mine doesn’t turn on, but it occurred to me that I’ve never seen any pictures of that light anywhere. Is that a regular feature? A Deluxe feature? Aside from a burnt bulb, any known common issues with that light? I would like to get
Mine working again.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cab light
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 20, 2020 11:55AM

Always good to look at the wiring diagram.Answers a lot of questions!! GGG

No door switches in Rampsides... turn headlight switch knob CW

Domelights have power ALL the time...switches control ground.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: October 20, 2020 11:55AM

Check your door switches,and also turn the headlight switch to turn on the light.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: October 20, 2020 11:59AM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Always good to look at the wiring diagram.Answers a lot of questions!! GGG
>
> No door switches in Rampsides... turn headlight switch knob CW
>
> Domelights have power ALL the time...switches control ground.

Shouldn't that be CCW? (Counter-ClockWise)
Oh, and not just turn it, but turn it until it clicks past a detent.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry
[corvaircenter.com]

Date: October 20, 2020 04:46PM

I turned the light knob - counter clockwise. I could feel it click but the cab light did not go on. First thing I’ll check is to see if the bulb is good.

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: October 20, 2020 05:51PM

Good call.

Date: October 20, 2020 09:07PM

Bulb looks good. Filament seems to be intact. Good contacts. The issue is elsewhere.

Date: October 20, 2020 10:46PM

Buy a Digital Voltmeter at your local Harbor freight!! $6

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: October 20, 2020 11:40PM

Sometimes filaments "break" at the end - hard to see - especially with dome light bulbs which have a 1/4" "end".

Date: October 21, 2020 09:22AM

Test both ends of the lamp socket for power, using a electrical probe with a light with the test light wire being on a good ground. Being that one side should be live, and the other should be a ground, the test light should light on only one side. Then if you clip the test to a known good 12 volt source, test the socket again, and that will help you to determine which wire has a problem. Once you know that, the rest of the trouble shooting shouldn't be difficult, since you now know what you are looking for. The fuse in the fuse block may also be blown, so I would be checking that item first, and then move "upstream" to the light.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: WhenIm64 ()
Date: October 21, 2020 11:43AM

Checking for power is advisable, of course. And once you have power, consider this:

I changed my Rampside's stock dome lamp bulb for an inexpensive LED replacement. The difference is, um, like night and day!

Attachments:
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: October 21, 2020 11:56AM

WhenIm64 Wrote:
> Checking for power is advisable, of course. And once you have power, consider this:
>
> I changed my Rampside's stock dome lamp bulb for an inexpensive LED replacement. The difference is, um, like night and day!

INDEED ! ! !
I second that motion. thumbs up

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry
[corvaircenter.com]

Date: October 21, 2020 01:41PM

WhenIm64 Wrote:
> Checking for power is advisable, of course. And once you have power, consider this:
>
> I changed my Rampside's stock dome lamp bulb for an inexpensive LED replacement. The difference is, um, like night and day!

That is like being on the beach, in the sun at high noon. You will need sunglasses!!!

Date: October 21, 2020 05:36PM

Where did that led come from? Can you provide a link please?

Date: October 21, 2020 05:49PM

[www.ebay.com]

Date: October 21, 2020 06:19PM

Well, I used my voltmeter and determined that the dome light was not getting power. I test the bulk and it did close the circuit, so the bulb is good.

I then went to trace the electrical lines. But when I went to remove the done light, I twisted it counter clockwise to release it. Whatever was holding it in place is not there anymore. I didn’t hear anything fall, so I’m not sure if it was glued in or if some fasteners just fell quietly. In any case, there is nothing but two holes now and I can’t re-install the done light housing. Ugh.

Worse yet, the electrical lines disappear into the roof and I can’t trade them. I don’t see where they come back out. I can giggle them enough to hear them by the door frame, but that’s it. Very frustrating.

Posted by: Vairismo ()
Date: October 21, 2020 06:31PM

It is a common GM part, classic suppliers should have reproductions available, even (or especially) Clark's.

Date: October 21, 2020 06:43PM

How do I trace the lines after they disappear into the header? I don’t see a way to access them. And it’s not obvious to me what lines they are by, say, the fuse box.

Date: October 21, 2020 06:54PM

You need a free Wiring diagram from our FAQ's. Wires com down the left windshield post [A pillar ] and are the same color markings as near the bulb fixture.

[www.google.com]

If you've never done this before...time to learn

Date: October 21, 2020 07:27PM

Dome lamps are traditionally orange and white, with the orange wire being the hot wire, and the white being the ground.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.