Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Electric Hummer - the truck that is.
Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: November 02, 2020 10:45AM

jjohnsonjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We could easily have them in this country,

LMAO

No political will; no investment will

Trying to build one in California - 30 years too late.

Not sure we are competent enough - East Bay bridge span replacement in SF was years and billions over budget.

Country is more interested in siphoning money into individuals pockets as opposed to building something for the public good.

Rode a Mag Lev train demonstration at The 1986 World Expo in Vancouver, British Columbia. Only 3 short commercial lines so far. Costs way too much.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: November 02, 2020 01:29PM

By easily I meant we have the technical capability. We have a geography and topography issues that smaller countries don't have. Going back in history the rail roads dominated this country. They were becoming more powerful than the government it self. The employees were exempt from Social Security. Then the oil companies, the auto makers and the government ganged up on them. Folks liked their cars and everyone jumped on the band wagon. Soon the air lines and comfortable busses followed. Now trains are pretty much limited to bulky or heavy items. Transportation is pretty much limited to densely populated corridors.

So political and working profitable business model are the road blocks. Along with folks that just plane like their cars.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: bought1 ()
Date: November 02, 2020 01:44PM

Infrastructure? What's that? I thought I heard something about that but nothing came of it. Too bad. I hear there are a lot of good jobs in it...

Dave

Date: November 02, 2020 02:22PM

jjohnsonjo Wrote:
> By easily I meant we have the technical capability.

I do not think we have that much high speed rail technical capability. We are not building high speed rail. Why would anybody spend that much money studying for jobs that do not exist? The expertise is where the systems are being built - Europe, Japan, China.

Same goes for manufacturing - a lot of that expertise is also in China / SE Asia. Of course, there is manufacturing capability here, also. But, I doubt on the same scale.

> Going back in history the rail roads dominated this country.

Yep. They convinced the government to give them land as incentive to build the early railroads. Or, the government gave them land to incentivize them to build the railroads. Take your pick. Southern Pacific RR was one of the largest landowners in the US at one point.

> Along with folks that just plane like their cars.

Well, the government (and car manufacturers) promoted the use (making) of cars after WW II. Why wouldn't the people love their cars? Grew up in Los Angeles area: There was a good above ground passenger rail system throughout the LA Basin. But, it was gone by the middle / late 50's.

Another impediment to high speed rail: I do not think the airlines would take kindly to having their business cannibalized by an extensive high speed rail system. They do pay lobbyists.

Date: November 02, 2020 03:11PM

Guess there is some high speed rail in US - Acela Express on the east coast supposedly reaches 150 mph. I though that those trains were limited to 120 mph because of infrastructure. I guess they upgraded some tracks.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: November 02, 2020 04:58PM

RobertC Wrote:
> Well, the government (and car manufacturers) promoted the use (making) of cars after WW II. Why wouldn't the people love their cars? Grew up in Los Angeles area: There was a good above ground passenger rail system throughout the LA Basin. But, it was gone by the middle / late 50's.
> . . . . . . . . . . . . .

You can Thank General Motors for the elimination of Light Rail in our big cities.
Feds took them to court over that one, and WON.
G.M. had to pay up a measly $16 million over that, as they walked away with Hundreds of MILLIONS in profits.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Date: November 03, 2020 04:04PM

[www.youtube.com]

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV

Bethlehem,Pa

Date: November 04, 2020 01:10AM

jjohnsonjo Wrote:
> [www.youtube.com]

Cute. Though there is an excess of flatulence in the world (human and cattle), I do not think that it is enough to power a fleet of hydrogen powered vehicles.

The main problem is building out the infrastructure to supply fuel to such vehicles. Major expense. Actually looked and there are a few such stations - in California they are in urban areas.

RE: People and their love of cars: It is the freedom and the convenience.

It is really convenient to drive door to door as opposed to take 3 buses and walking.

An example: Early 60's (LA area): My parent's house was approx 25 miles to the college that I attended. With the new freeways, it was probably 30 - 35 minutes by car. With the LA bus system at the time; it was 2 hours and 30 minutes. One bus into downtown LA; one bus out of downtown LA.

Date: November 04, 2020 04:47AM

Thats sort what happens with the fast trains in Japan. Like I said before, they leap frog stations, most only stopping at every forth one or so. Then the next train doesn't stop at the ones the previous did. So unless you catch the right one at the right time you must overshoot or undershoot your destination. Then grab the next slow train and taxi to get where you really want to go. When the fast train passes the slow train you feel like you are going to be blown off the track.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: November 04, 2020 11:33AM

jjohnsonjo Wrote:
> Thats sort what happens with the fast trains in Japan. Like I said before, they leap frog stations, most only stopping at every forth one or so. Then the next train doesn't stop at the ones the previous did. So unless you catch the right one at the right time you must overshoot or undershoot your destination. Then grab the next slow train and taxi to get where you really want to go. When the fast train passes the slow train you feel like you are going to be blown off the track.

And THIS, is the great model of what we should have here ? ! ? ! ? eye popping smiley
Sounds like stepping backwards, not forwards.
What a mess!
A person would have to be a total nut-bar to ever even dream that America needs this kind of NIGHTMARE. hot smiley
NO THANKS, I will keep my Hydrocarbon Based Fuel vehicles. thumbs up
ROLL COAL BABY ! ! ! cool smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Posted by: Jonathan Knapp ()
Date: November 17, 2020 09:02PM

150 mph is chump change now. The new generations are approaching 300 mph. It's easy to say Americans would never go for high-speed rail if you've never been on it. It's nothing like American passenger trains. Once you've tried it, you see how appealing it is.

In France it is significantly faster, city center to city center, from Paris to Marseille by TGV than by plane. No driving to the airport on the outskirts of town hours ahead of time, no waiting in line to get through baggage check, then waiting again to get through security, then waiting for the plane to load. Then once you are at your destination city, no waiting to get out of the plane, no waiting at baggage claim, then no taking a taxi or bus or commuter train to get to your city center destination.

You can't believe how pleasurable it is to get to the train station minutes ahead of departure with you pre-printed ticket, get on the train with your luggage and leave the minute it is scheduled to leave. Then 500 miles later it arrives at the destination on the minute, you get off with your luggage and head to your destination in the city.

The ride is quiet and comfortable, smooth and solid. No jostling side to side. You can get up and walk around, go to the dining car or have food delivered to your seat. All while the landscape flows past your window at over 200 mph.

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.