Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
A little Clarks History
Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: October 16, 2020 06:54AM

Much thanks to Leon McLaughlin and Gary Moore for providing issues of the "corsa communiques" newsletter for inclusion in the CORSA publications archive. The corsa communiques was a newsletter published concurrently with the CORSA Quarterly, which were combined in 1978 to form the CORSA Communique. We have volumes 4 - 7, but still need volumes 1-3, and we would be most grateful should anyone be willing to provide those for scanning.

As I've been preparing the volumes for posting on the CORSA website I decided to look for the earliest advertisements of our good friends in Shelburne Falls, MA, Clarks Corvair Parts.

I did not find any ads in the Quarterly published during these years, those shown below were the earliest I found in corsa communiques. Whether these indeed are their earliest advertisements, maybe Clarks could say.

Their first appearance was here among Corvair parts suppliers (note the address):

And the next mention was to announce the move to Shelburne Falls:

This was the first bona fide advertisement, announcing their new catalog:

Their parts inventory has increased noticeably since that time.

Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A little Clarks History
Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: October 16, 2020 07:47AM

I like the history - thanks!

Does anyone know what CorFrames made, in the first vendor listing above?

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: October 16, 2020 10:14AM

Steve, I'm confused, normal for me, but need you to explain what you really need. The volume 4 no.1, January 1973 was the first newsletter called CORSA COMMUNIQUE. Before that, the newsletter was called THE WINDMILL; are those the issues you're seeking? I have many, if not all of those. Or, are you seeking the CORSA COMMUNIQUE which began with the volume 1 no.1, combined with QUARTERLY in September 1978? I should have all those that you need, let me know which ones you'd like to borrow.

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa basket case
'66 Monza coupe
[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: WhenIm64 ()
Date: October 16, 2020 10:21AM

I first discovered my local Corvair club (NJACE, of which I am still a member) in the Spring of 1974. Through the club learned of a Corvair show and swap meet being conducted that Spring by Connecticut CORSA in a town that was an easy drive from my home. So I attended.

There I first met Cal and Joan, who had driven down from Massachusetts to sell parts. Their vehicle? A Corvair. The sale inventory was in the trunk.

Maybe a year or so later I picked up an order at their business location in Massachusetts, which at the time, was their home!

I am happy to be a customer -- and a friend -- for some 46+ years.

--Bob

WhyImWhenIm64

Date: October 16, 2020 10:33AM

Scott,
The "CORSA Communique" as we now know it began with Vol 1 in 1978, and replaced the Quarterly and the "corsa communiques" newsletter (note lower case and plural name.) The "corsa communiques" ran from 1970 to 1978, and we need the early issues, Volumes 1 - 3.
Steve

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: October 16, 2020 10:44AM

isucorvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like the history - thanks!
>
> Does anyone know what CorFrames made, in the first vendor listing above?
>
>
> Eric P.
> DeWitt, IA

Dune Buggy frames?

Date: October 16, 2020 11:17AM

Phil Dally Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> isucorvair Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > I like the history - thanks!
> >
> > Does anyone know what CorFrames made, in the first vendor listing above?
> >
> >
> > Eric P.
> > DeWitt, IA
>
>
> Dune Buggy frames?

Phil - That is what I was assuming - wondered if anyone had actual data.

I had never heard of the company. Now Turchan, ATV Industries, JC Whitney / Warshawski, ConFerr, etc all made Corvair-specific buggy frames - just wondering if I needed to add to my list.

Eric

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: October 16, 2020 12:58PM

Do you have this one...Huth Chassis? Built at Enoch Muffler in Burbank, CA during the sixties and seventies. Enoch is still there but has been bought and sold a bunch of times. I've never seen Huth in any of the Dune Buggy directories. Couple shots of my Dad's buddy dick's E/M turbo...yep that's me doing the wheelie. The overhead bar was our addition. Those are my High School buddies in the Maidenform Flats shot. Both are from Oceano Sand Dunes near Pismo Beach in California.

Attachments:

Date: October 16, 2020 01:20PM

Phil - I haven't been keeping track of rail buggies - just buggies for Fiberglass bodies.

Eric

Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: October 16, 2020 01:41PM

Steve,
Here is what I have in my library. Four preliminary newsletters; #1 was the invitation from Richard Langworth to form a club. #3 has the CORSA logo, and a postmark of May 26, 1970. Those seem to be followed by an unnamed newsletter dated September 1970 that has a postmark Oct. 16, 1970 - how's that for a coincidence?. Volume 1 #2 is titled TURBO-AIRE TOPICS; CORSA NEWS is dated Dec. 1970 - Jan. 1971 and listed as volume 1 #3. THE WINDMILL begins Mar - Apr 1971 listed as volume 1 #4 and appears to run uninterrupted through volume 3 #4, Oct. 1972. The first CORSA Communique I have is volume 3 #5 November 1972; the header does not use small letters as you state. If you'll look at the CORSA publication's history page, I think it will corroborate my timeline.

[www.corvair.org]

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa basket case
'66 Monza coupe
[corvaircenter.com]

Attachments:

Date: October 16, 2020 02:46PM

It is the "corsa Communiques" that we are working on presently.

Interesting about the cover of communiques vol 3(#5). I do not know what the titles of the newsletters look like before that issue but I do have vol 3(#6) and Vols 4 - 7 and all of the titles are lowercase.
Steve

Attachments:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.