Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
White smoke where exhaust log connects to pipe.
Posted by: akemper98 ()
Date: October 16, 2020 04:04AM

When I run for a minute or two (top shroud off to find smoke). This smoke has been there the whole time I've had the car. I see white smoke coming out from where exhaust log hits pipe. Could this be from in the engine? Or is this more likely the packing/collars themselves?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2020 09:43AM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: White smoke where exhaust log hits pipe.
Date: October 16, 2020 04:38AM

I realize it could be burning oil just strange it's very white and only at that point.

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: October 16, 2020 07:00AM

The exhaust gaskets are leaking. Simple, kind of, to replace.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: CoCoCo ()
Date: October 16, 2020 09:08AM

I've never heard of the packing itself smoking, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. Just doesn't seem likely being such a high-temp rated material.
If it's from the outside then it would be some sort of contamination, likely from an oil lean nearby?
Can you see the whole area from your vantage point? Maybe an oil leak elsewhere is traveling to the exhaust log where it's being burned off each cycle.
Does the smoke continue for the entire drive, or does it dissipate over time?
If you can't see into that entire area, you'll need to do more digging unfortunately.

If it's indeed from the inside leaking out, then more likely it's like Bob said, where that particular cylinder's doughnut is leaking, and you're simply seeing some of what's going on in the cylinder leaking out.
If you're not also seeing smoke out of the exhaust tip then consider yourself lucky that the burning is not more serious.

But no matter what it is, or how bad, if it's actually leaking out from inside then it's time to replace the exhaust packing.
If you can't see precisely from where it's coming from your vantage point though, then the jury is still out.

Good luck.

Paul

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: October 18, 2020 07:17AM

When you say white smoke I think of ATF. It could be coming out of the open portion of the bell housing but unlikely it would just settle in one place, it usually blows all over. Unlikely but just a thought since you're not getting much activity.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Re: White smoke where exhaust log connects to pipe.
Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: October 18, 2020 12:40PM

Good point Jim.

So, we need year engine and transmission to answer the question with more accuracy.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Re: White smoke where exhaust log connects to pipe.
Date: October 19, 2020 04:53AM

65' 110, PG. Took shroud off to clean and check smoke location. That's when I isolated it down to the log/pipe junction. Just one side. I ordered exhaust packings and started putting everything back together, so I can run it more then a minute or two. Didn't get to running yet to be continued.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.